View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Dissociatives First time DXM user? need help

MattyG86

Greenlighter
I have never used DXM before, but I have always wanted to. I have a 89 ml bottle of Delsym with 30mg of DXM POLISTIREX per 5ml.. how much should I take to get a euphoric and pleasant experience? I don?t really want to hallucinate or have a bad trip..any answers would be great!

I'm gonna be straight with you, dxm polistirix won't get you high. You need dxm hbr (hydrobromide) to get an effective high. Look for a dxm product with ONLY dxm or only dxm and guafinescin. It is a common misconception that dxm and guafinescin will make you puke. It varies from person to person, for some it gives them nausea, for some it makes them puke, but for people like me, it only makes me have minor diarrea. But NEVER get any dxm product with anything other than pure dxm or dxm and guafinescin, any any other ingredients WILL kill you. Go for a dose of 300-350 mgs of dxm for a beginner dose. Hope this helps.

I'm gonna be straight with you, dxm polistirix won't get you high. You need dxm hbr (hydrobromide) to get an effective high. Look for a dxm product with ONLY dxm or only dxm and guafinescin. It is a common misconception that dxm and guafinescin will make you puke. It varies from person to person, for some it gives them nausea, for some it makes them puke, but for people like me, it only makes me have minor diarrea. But NEVER get any dxm product with anything other than pure dxm or dxm and guafinescin, any any other ingredients WILL kill you. Go for a dose of 300-350 mgs of dxm for a beginner dose. Hope this helps.

I would avoid the guaifenesin to be on the safe side.

Dextromethorohan Polistrex will indeed cause you to trip. Idk where dude got that idea that it will not.

Don?t take a product with guaifenesin . Not good to do.

Dextromethorohan Polistrex will indeed cause you to trip. Idk where dude got that idea that it will not.

Don?t take a product with guaifenesin . Not good to do.

Yes, okay, it will cause a trip, but you have to take about 600-700 mgs to feel anything close to a "trip", because polistrex is extended-release, so a normal dose won't cut it. Polistrex makes for a really long, not very powerful trip, unless you take insane amounts, and at that point, you're better off just getting pure dxm. And yes, I agree that pure dxm is definitely the way to go if pure dxm is accessible, but if it's not, guafinescin won't kill you.

I loooove DXM so much I've always used dextromethorphan hydrobromide only syrup. I've never done DXM polystirex, but ive heard its just a much more drawn out experience. Also, DXM is a dissociative hallucinogen so it's a lot different to psychedelics. If you take a light dose your first time, i'm sure you'll have a fine experience.

Here's a link to the Psychonaut Wiki page for DXM which tells you pretty much most of what you need to know and has a list of effects - https://psychonautwiki.org/w/index.php?title=Dextromethorphan&_= I highly recommend to check it out!

For a first-time user, better go with a light dose. :)

I would start with 150mg to see how you feel about it and then maybe 250-300 the next time you try.

Do not drink syrup with gauifenesin like the first reply says.. that's just shamefully bad advice.

The only active ingredient you should read on the label is "dextromethorphan hbr"

Avoid every other active ingredient products containing things such as gauifenesin, acetaminophen, etc.

For the record I've done dxm dozens of times and the one time I drank syrup with gauifenesin, I got so sick... and let me tell you.. if you think it tastes bad going down, that's nothing compared to how it tastes coming back up.

Tips for anyone reading this thread later - all previous comments regarding guaifenesin are very correct, use dxm-only products. No antihistamines such as acetaminophen, no other ingredients. They will fuck you up.

Remember to eat and stay hydrated as with any drug, sometimes dxm represses your appetite due to the dissociative effects and not eating can make you weak. I fainted after a dxm trip when I forgot to eat, lol. Start small with doses and ignore the guy saying to start with 600-700 mg. Just like with other drugs, start small, as doses such as 150 mg will certainly ease you into it and prevent bad trips. Have fun!

Last edited:
Yes, okay, it will cause a trip, but you have to take about 600-700 mgs to feel anything close to a "trip", because polistrex is extended-release, so a normal dose won't cut it. Polistrex makes for a really long, not very powerful trip, unless you take insane amounts, and at that point, you're better off just getting pure dxm. And yes, I agree that pure dxm is definitely the way to go if pure dxm is accessible, but if it's not, guafinescin won't kill you.

What part of ? 1st time DXM user ? didn t you see.

OP, you will have psychoactive effects anywhere from threshold effects after 60 mg on up. A new person will feel 120 mg for sure.

Read the DXM faq , the wiki entry and dangerous combinations thread.

Last edited:
Here in Canada we get the robotussin cough gels, they contain only dxm as the active ingredient. But I think it's only like 15-20 mgs per gel. So u have to eat a few for effect.

The Delysm syrup with dxm poli is definitely good for a long and more mellow trip. After much experience it's what I'd go for if I was planning on going out in front of people at all. The robo cough gels or any generic cough gels that have only dxm hbr are my go too for a strong and intense trip.

When I first started off I was taking a whole bottle (20 cough gels at 15mg dxm per pill=300mg) and that was quite powerful for a first trip without knowing what to experience. The cough gels make it easy for me to dose how much I'm taking at a time but I always have to be careful on how much I take at a time because high doses of any form can risk causing me to become nauseous. I don't smoke weed anymore but when I used to smoke it definitely helped settle my stomach and also helped the transition into tripping a lot faster.

Another trick for me to prolong and intensify the trip is to drink grapefruit juice before I ingest the dxm. I drink a glass a few hours before and then another glass about 45 mins to a half hour before. This slows down the breakdown of the dxm in your liver due to some science shit I don't understand.

The whole plateau layout can be confusing to me, but it helps show the different levels and differences between how the different doses can feel, for example the drunk loopy feeling at first with low doses as opposed to the complete disassociative feeling at high high doses...

Recently I've become very interested in researching and experimenting with DXM, it had been years since I tried it and I wanted to see how far I could reach with it. And I've found it to be groundbreaking for me and eye opening, it's unlike any substance I've used in my life.

The one MAIN thing I would suggest to a new user is proceed with CAUTION, it's an amazing drug for me but it definitely can run the border of becoming potentially extremely dangerous if not used with respect. It's not smoking too much weed when you just fall asleep from smoking too much or blacking out from drinking too much. This is dealing heavily with brain functionality and can creep up on you worse than expected. So START SMALL. See how you like it and go up in intervals each time and see the difference in how it feels..

Happy tripping and be safe!!!

Adding to the anti-nausea part Sully354 mentipned, Dramamine/Benadryl in a normal dose like you’d use for carsickness (1 pill) can be helpful for the nausea! At higher doses most people end up vomiting, so even if you try weed/motion sickness pills don’t expect too much.

Read the inactive ingredient list and look for polysorbate 80, polyethylene glycol, and glycerin, all those will make you vomit. Personally, I always take the mucinex dm pills, sometimes I'm eating 10 grams of guaifenesin at a time, and I don't think the guaifenesin makes me nauseas, but the dxm alone does. I always smoke weed and take benadryl in doses from 25-100 mg to combat the nausea.

I know this thread is old, but nobody mentioned polysorbate 80, polyethylene glycol, and glycerin, so I thought I should add that.

Also, I try to keep alcohol/valium/opiates around to mellow out the trip if it gets too intense, but always keep the dose of the alcohol/valium/opiates lower than normal because the dxm will probably potentiate them, I'd say 30-50 your normal dosage should be fine.