Testosterone effects on the liver

Hilfiger924

Greenlighter
I have for a number of years have a poor functioning liver and had mildly elevated LFT results. There is no underlying condition but just never had a great performing liver. As I have started working hard in the gym and have started weekly testosterone injections I wanted to know if anyone knows if this causes stress on the liver or contributes to liver problems etc

As long as it is Testosterone and only that, there is no liver toxicity.
But at significantly supraphysiological levels there will be a negative impact on your cholesterol, especially if you use a AI.
If you crush your E2 then the lipids will get fucked.

Is your Testosterone prescribed or black market?

It?s not prescribed but I have been able to source directly through a public hospital system. Prior to commencing about 2ml per week injections my cholesterol was mildly elevated but just within normal ranges. I am taking nothing else except for the Test E

And is your Test dosed at 250mg/mL?
500mg/week is enough to slightly impact your cholesterol for the worse, although not dramatically.
And is a pretty high dose especially for a beginner.
250/300mg/week would be plenty at first.

Also, at that dose you might need to keep E2 in check with an AI. Or not... YMMV. Beware of any lump/tenderness in your nipple area.

I was on 250mg per week for 4 weeks and now that I have upped my workouts I got told to go on 500mg a week for 4 weeks. Phobos thanks heaps as well appreciate it

Do you intend to cycle on and off or do blast and cruise?
May I ask you what is your age, height, weight, BF%, how long have you trained, do you have/had any significant injuries?
Did you do any blood test before starting the injections?

Intend to cycle....I am 43, 180cm and 95kg. Really only been training since I started test which was 4 weeks ago. I have put on 5kg already. No injuries and sorry don?t know my BF%. Didn?t do any bloods prior (silly I know) but just went for my first test today so will get an update early next week.

How long will your cycle be?
Do you already have a plan to avoid low testosterone after cycle?
Are you aware of possible estrogen imbalance after the last injection?

As you may be aware, taking Testosterone shots will cause your body to reduce your LH production to almost zero.
LH is a hormone, its purpose is to signal your testicles to produce Testosterone.
So during a cycle you will not be producing none of that.

Depending on how much ylou take and for how long, the testicles may noticeably shrink as due to their low activity, blooddlow will be reduced.

Due to this "dormant" state, damage may occur, and after the cycle ends and your body starts to produce LH again, test production may increase only very slowly and may take months to even feel alright, and in some cases it may never go back to what it was before the cycle.

This period of low testosterone condition, apart from causing a plethora of terrible symptoms, will probably have you loose more than you gained during the cycle.

Your body will convert some Testosterone into Estrogen, so if you increase tesy you are increasing Estrogen as well, which is fine until you have way more test than Estrogen, as it is the ratio that is the most important aspect.

After your last injection, your Testosterone levels will gradually fall, but as Estrogen is expelled at a slower rate, the ratio will shift towards having more estrogen than Testosterone, which causes feminisation symptoms like growth of breast tissue, muscle loss, increase in fat storage in areas like glutes and outer things etc.

This messed up hormonal ratio will also signal your body to produce less Testosterone, making recovery even slower.

There are ofcourse methods to avoid all this, basically you will need to take some supplements while on cycle (in particular Taurine seems to protect testicles from damage caused by steroids), and procure an Aromatase Inhibitor medication that will greatly reduce how much of your Testosterone is converted into Estrogen (you need to have some estrogen, so it's important not to dose the AI too high).
Ofcourse blood tests are needed to see what the hormone levels are and if and how much AI to take.

Some people choose to do a thing called PCT (post cycle therapy) after the cycle ends, and that usually means to take a combination of two SERMs, Clomiphene Citrate (Clomid), and Tamoxifen Citrate (Nolvadex), that will have the effect of gretly increasing (temporarily) your LH production and block the effects of Estrogen on your breasts.

Now, if you did things right during the cycle PCT might not be necessary, but I would prefer some of the more experienced members give you a protocol.

Normally the suggested AI is Exemestane (Aromasin), as it has the effect profile that is the most suited to regulate Estrogen production while taking steroids.

Thanks so much for all the details. I also got my blood test results back and good news on Liver function and cholestoral all writhin range. The only thing to mention was these were my counts on Test in my body and the doctor said I should slow down my weekly dosages but not sure if that?s just the doctor doing the thing they need to do.
Testosterone 47.5
SHGD re-std 33
Free testosterone 1246

Do those numbers look pretty standard for someone mid cycle ??

Thanks Genetic and what?s your opinion on my bloods for the Test results ?? Typical for my stage of cycle ??

Hey Genetic Freak could you please give directions on how to avoid damaging shutdown on cycle?
Like how much Taurine, if other supplements help with that etc..

OP - did you say you just started training in conjunction with starting testosterone?

If so, I'd advise you take a massive step back and train without hormones for a couple of years.

He has already started, but he doesn't know how to come off properly yet.
I don't think it would be safe to quit cold turkey without having an AI and a SERM handy first.

Hey Genetic Freak could you please give directions on how to avoid damaging shutdown on cycle?
Like how much Taurine, if other supplements help with that etc..

It's all covered above in our stickies.. 3-5g taurine, 1g royal jelly /day..

He has already started, but he doesn't know how to come off properly yet.
I don't think it would be safe to quit cold turkey without having an AI and a SERM handy first.

Again it's all been covered in our stickies above ^^^^.. Taper off testosterone in last few weeks, use an AI sparingly to lower estrogen as testosterone lowers also.. OFF..!!
SERM's are overrated and not necessary, generally your hypothalamus will initiate LH & FSH within a few days to weeks once endogenous testosterone has lowered sufficiently, and estradiol is reduced also..

I was just recommending OP would have the SERM and the AI so as to be able to take them immediately should gyno start to develop.
I agree most of the time the SERM won't be needed and AI will need just low dose, especially if test is tapered down.