• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Opiate addict randomly allergic to codeine after pregnancy at age 30?!?!

Aceswildmomma

Greenlighter
This is my first thred y?all! Bear with me if I mess up and break rules. Anywho, here?s some background: Ive been on pain pills since I was in high school, and physically addicted for about 6 years. Also, I am thirty and had a child 2 years ago. I took 4 or 6 or so Tylenol #4 just because they were offered and had nothing else available and within 15 minutes, starting at my scalp and slowly moving to my toes, I broke out into hives with insatiable itching and obviously had an allergic reaction (which 4 tubes of hydrocortisone coated all over my body and a few swings of Benadryl took care of). That was the first time I?d taken ?codeine? in years, since before I was pregnant, really. Does anyone know what might cause this?? Does this mean I am indefinitely allergic to codeine?? Am I now one of those idiots who says I am allergic to codeine but requests hydrocodone/oxycodone at the doctor?!! (I always thought that just meant they wanted the good stuff first, skip the junk (oh also, I am/was a nurse)) Does this also mean I can?t enjoy a little Prometh/codeine/lean either?!?! Halp!

I am allergic to codeine but have no trouble (histamine wise) with hydro or oxycodone. They are different classes of medicine.

I am allergic to codeine but have no trouble (histamine wise) with hydro or oxycodone. They are different classes of medicine.

when you say allergic to codeine, do you just gets itches, or a full on anaphylactic shock with mouth swelling closed?

You're a nurse and you're asking whether or not you should take a drug you had an allergic reaction to?

These things happen with Codeine. It's pretty notorious for causing allergic reactions much like the one you have described. Also, just because you have taken Codeine in the past and not experienced these symptoms, it doesn't mean you will not in the future. It's not uncommon and you shouldn't have anything to worry about. An antihistamine is not a bad idea.

when you say allergic to codeine, do you just gets itches, or a full on anaphylactic shock with mouth swelling closed?

All over itching then hives started forming. I took benadryl against the histamine reaction n no longer took codeine products. I dunno whether it would have progressed to the closed-throat horrid scene. I stopped use before finding out.

I have also developed allergies to several antibiotics that used to serve me fine .... it's just.... something that happens.

These things happen with Codeine. It's pretty notorious for causing allergic reactions much like the one you have described. Also, just because you have taken Codeine in the past and not experienced these symptoms, it doesn't mean you will not in the future. It's not uncommon and you shouldn't have anything to worry about. An antihistamine is not a bad idea.

are your regular OTC antihistamnies for hayfever/allergies adequate to use if you do suffer from a codeine histamine release?

are your regular OTC antihistamnies for hayfever/allergies adequate to use if you do suffer from a codeine histamine release?

In theory, that would be one of the primary purposes of using such an antihistamine. One issue is that the antihistamine, if taken by the oral route, is going to take several minutes to begin exerting effect. For this reason, if you know you are sensitive to Codeine, then it might be wise to simply take and antihistamine whenever you take the Codeine. Hope this helps.

If you are allergic to it, then no, you should not use the drug at all, in any amount. You also can become allergic to something suddenly, even after having consumed it regularly for a long period of time.

Developing an allergy later in life in not super common but it happens. You hear of children outgrowing allergies sometimes but in adults, once you develop an allergy it's more likely you will have it for life. Like Keif said, codeine is notorious for causing allergic reactions. One afternoon after being prescribed Tylenol 3, I took three tablets and my skin got blotchy red and I was itching like crazy. That didn't happen with taking just one so I believe it was a histamine reaction but nothing like you described. So I can see that happening since you took a lot more.