• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

How effective is CWE?

Melena

Greenlighter
How effective is the CWE method to remove acetaminophen? I have no desire to kill my liver.
thanks,
melena

Extremely effective if done correctly due to the fact that very little acetaminophen is soluble in cold water compared to the codeine which is much more soluble.

So, if the appropriate amount of cold water is used, then properly filtered, the resultant solution will have most of the dissolved codeine and very little of the acetaminophen in it.

if the filtered solution is perfectly clear then you will probably have filtered out all the insoluble APAP, so all that remains is the amount that dissolved in the water which is within the safe limits if you use 100ml or less

but I do share your concern. My liver started to ache the other day and I was worried that I had done a CWE wrong. It does feel like playing with fire a little

It's effective enough to stop people dying. I know lots of people that maintained serious addictions with cwe codeine (it is legal OTC in australia. Well, it is until next week :|) - and they've not sustained liver damage.
For years here, it's been a free-for-all, basically.

So yeah, i think it's fairly safe if done carefully.

if the filtered solution is perfectly clear then you will probably have filtered out all the insoluble APAP, so all that remains is the amount that dissolved in the water which is within the safe limits if you use 100ml or less

but I do share your concern. My liver started to ache the other day and I was worried that I had done a CWE wrong. It does feel like playing with fire a little

If ?your liver started to ache,? it was all in your head. There are no pain receptors in the liver, and therefore you cannot feel damage to your liver until it stars affecting your other organs ? aka when it?s already too late.

It's effective enough to stop people dying. I know lots of people that maintained serious addictions with cwe codeine (it is legal OTC in australia. Well, it is until next week :|) - and they've not sustained liver damage.
For years here, it's been a free-for-all, basically.

So yeah, i think it's fairly safe if done carefully.

APAP/codeine in Australia has 8mg codeine, correct? How much APAP?

From what i've read, APAP is pretty insoluble in water of any temp. So just dissolving the tabs in water and filtering is bound to get rid of some APAP i would think; cooling the water down gets more.
my solutions are almost never clear, though. Not sure what i am doing wrong.

From what i've read, APAP is pretty insoluble in water of any temp. So just dissolving the tabs in water and filtering is bound to get rid of some APAP i would think; cooling the water down gets more.

I think it just takes practice. What are you using to filter?

^ and make sure you wet the coffee filters before pouring the dissolved pills in it.
You'll lose less, because the filter won't absorb any of your codeine solution.

APAP/codeine in Australia has 8mg codeine, correct? How much APAP?

They have 500mg of APAP per pill (which we call "paracetamol" over here).

There are some that have 15mg of codeine too, over the counter, and i don't know about now, but there used to be some that had 10mg too.

Codeine containing medications are being made prescription-only over here on feb 1st, which is a worry.
I feel really bad for people that are hooked on it :(

^ and make sure you wet the coffee filters before pouring the dissolved pills in it.
You'll lose less, because the filter won't absorb any of your codeine solution.

This. And some are better than others. I?ve used the cone ones before and they were terrible.

You aren't necessarily doing anything wrong. Some tablets contain things that will make the water cloudy regardless. This doesn't necessarily mean you didn't filter out most of the acetaminophen. If you used the right amount of cold water and filtered it then most likely you removed a significant amount of the acetaminophen.

You aren't necessarily doing anything wrong. Some tablets contain things that will make the water cloudy regardless. This doesn't necessarily mean you didn't filter out most of the acetaminophen. If you used the right amount of cold water and filtered it then most likely you removed a significant amount of the acetaminophen.

What is the right amount of cold water? I've just been trying to use as little as possible (codeine&other taste nasty). Previous doses had just over therapeutic dose of APAP so not a big oncern. But now the dose contains an almost overdose of APAP so prob need to be sure.

I've seen 100ml (or less) thrown around a lot. In reality the ideal amount would depend on how much of the active ingredient you are trying to extract (in other words, how many tablets you are using).

I believe they say 100ml because it should be sufficient to extract enough codiene in most cases (unless your trying to use a ton of tablets) and it's not enough water to be able to contain enough of the acetaminophen to do any harm if cold and properly filtered.

It's best to use as little as possible, but if you use too little water then you won't be extracting all the codeine. It's a math game, so they've simplified it by saying 100ml or less should be good in most cases.

Last edited:
what type of filters are better?

I don?t have a specific recommendation, I just know I?ve used different ones ? whatever I had on hand ? and had varying results. As I said, the cone ones were awful, as they just almost instantly clogged up with the acetaminophen, leading to a mess of the whole process. I haven?t done one in several years.

I've seen 100ml (or less) thrown around a lot. In reality the ideal amount would depend on how much of the active ingredient you are trying to extract (in other words, how many tablets you are using).

I believe they say 100ml because it should be sufficient to extract enough codiene in most cases (unless your trying to use a ton of tablets) and it's not enough water to be able to contain enough of the acetaminophen to do any harm if cold and properly filtered.

It's best to use as little as possible, but if you use too little water then you won't be extracting all the codeine. It's a math game, so they've simplified it by saying 100ml or less should be good in most cases.

I've heard people say that the codeine will dissolve efficiently in any amount of water no matter how small, so enough just to cover the pills should be adequate, while minimising the amount of APAP

I do wonder what the right amount of time to leave it to dissolve is. Would the longer you leave it increase the amount codeine extracted, or does it all dissolve instantly?

Is it the same 100ml recommendation regardless of opiate? Same for hydrocodone and oxycodone?

it is effective but the water should be very bitter. that is how you know it worked well. Trust me i've done it many times and its always been bitter!