• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

opiate wds cannot sleep still

Pickledlemons

Bluelighter
day 12 now from suboxone and still cant sleep without at least 2mg of xanax. I was okay with this the first week but now I am deadly scared of benzo addiction.

day before Yesterday I tried seroquel and I had the worst nightmares of my life. all while still somewhat awake. A delirious state. I woke up feeling worse than not sleeping.

yesterday I went on a 2 hour walk trudging through snow in boots. I was sooooo exhausted. I thought that would do the trick. Hoped into bed at 7, tossed and turned till 11. Decided to take 500 mg phenibut. At least its not xanax I thought. tossed and turned till 1. finally caved and took the xanax..fell asleep by 2. Woke up at 7. Thats all I get...

I am desperate to sleep without drugs. At least with something less addictive than xanax. help!

I'm right there with you....on day 12 and can't sleep. Took Diazapam on day 2,4,5,11 for lack of sleep and anxiety. I'm scared of trading an oxy addiction for a benzo addiction.....

Xanax is known for producing vivid dreams. Did you happen to take that for sleep as well? im not sure that 12 days of benzos will get you in a bad spot, but maybe you can start breaking them in half and drop the dosage? I use vistaril (which is basically an antihistamine) as an additional anxiety buffer. (OTC would be similar to Benadryl) Seroquel works quite well for me if I run out of ambien, but as a long term benzo user I can?t remember a night where I didn?t have some type of dream. I know it sucks not sleeping. Maybe try the Seroquel with a little less Xanax? Also Xanax is very short duration (4-6 hours for new users) and won?t take you through a full nights rest. If you can get a script for a real sleep aid if seroquel isnt working.

I?ve had a sleep disorder for a long time - when you struggle in bed for over 45 minutes I find it best to just accept rather than tossing and turning - make some sleepy time tea, read a bit (I?d avoid electronic devices) but tv if you have to. Ken Burns sometimes works lol. Anyway hope this is helpful at all and you catch the zzz?s.

Insomnia its one of the last symptoms for me to go away.

Melatonin can help sleep it's good stuff for temporary use, and also valerian is really good. I'd smoke a lot of pot but that's me.

What I did was stay up all night and microdose psychedelics and also find a night job. I couldn't sleep so it's best to accept that.

Hell I didn't sleep last night one wink and it is 930am. It's okay to do that for a couple days but as the weeks drag on... shit's wearing me out. Now I'm restarting again as my dumbass relapsed again.

Have you tried some of the OTC stuff? I recently tried doxylamine succinate (one of the brands of Unisom in the USA). I had kind of an odd experience with it making me see odd stuff when I closed my eyes, but it knocked me out of the worst panic attack I have ever had in my life (which was rebound anxiety from stopping a week of clonazolam, which is the devil btw). I felt like sleep was further away during that situation than it ever was on opiate WDs. Give it a shot if you can. Maybe you could try reducing the benzos and adding in a strong OTC sleep aid such as the doxy and see how that goes.

You could also go to the doctor and try to get on a non-addictive sleep aid. One that I highly recommend to people kicking dope is Remeron (chemical name Mirtazapine). It is a mild anti-depressant that causes a strong but natural feeling of sleepiness and hunger after taking it. Most people taking Mirtazapine report getting the "munchies" after taking it (which is great if you are WDing and having a hard time eating) and then passing out (which is obviously great for WDs). Plus, if you get a mild mood boost from its anti-depressant effects, that is also a great thing to take into the beginning of sobriety. Because it is not a drug of abuse, most doctors have no reservations giving it to you if you ask.

I have also tried taking Seroquel while WDing and it is not super pleasant. Otherwise it knocks you out like a light but for some reason it just doesn't have the right effects to cut through the WDs. It always made me feel like I was 30 seconds from passing out but I just couldn't get there, and add that to the really weird mental state it can put you in. I definitely don't recommend it for WDs.

I was able to sleep with 8 grams of kratom and 1 benadryl though it still took a couple hours. I've been taking smaller amounts of kratom in the day (4g usually). I guess I'm addicted to kratom now. Better than bupe or xanax I suppose. I'm going to immediately begin lowering doses. I'm giving myself 8 weeks until I come off of the kratom completely. I am dead set on not relying on anything. I jumped cold from 5mg by the way.

Last edited:
Have you tried some of the OTC stuff? I recently tried doxylamine succinate (one of the brands of Unisom in the USA)

I've heard it talked about but I never have seen it in Canada. And I have a pretty good knowledge of what you can get. Most OTC sleep aids seem to have diphenhydramine or melatonin as an active ingredient here. I was able to order the doxylamine succinate from the USA. Hopefully they will help when I come off the kratom.

Doxylamine is actually getting hard to find in the USA. It seems to be getting deprecated by diphenhydramine, even in most Unisom products. I guess diphenhydramine does have a bit more of a natural, normal sleepy feeling than doxy, but it can fall short for helping with WDs. Doxy definitely seems more powerful. I hope it helps!

And I find diphenhydramine to feel 'gross' though Ive used it in combination with phenibut to knock me out in withdrawal, it seems to only work once. The second time worsened rls.

Odd, I actually found it the other way around for me. Diphenhydramine gives more of a natural feeling for me while the doxy is a bit more "gross" feeling. But then again, my one experience did come during an extremely "gross" time anyway (the horrid panic attack) so maybe it isn't the best, most unbiased experience report.

One thing to keep in mind is that Suboxone WD takes about 4 weeks to run its course, so unless you are on kratom for 4 weeks, you are still at least somewhat addicted to the Sub. Maybe wait a while with the kratom to let your body fully switch dependencies. Honestly after a lot of reading about kratom WDs, I think I would rather have them than Suboxone. Sub tends to be a lot weaker than most other forms of opioid WD, but they can just break you down by how long they last. They last too long to take a benzo every night for sleep like you can coming off of heroin or oxycodone. Even though the peak of kratom may be worse, at least you only have to deal with a few days (something like 7 days from what I have heard) and then hopefully you will be clear.