• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

personal medication interferening with a lsd trip?

reflexisop

Greenlighter
hello its my 1st time posting something on this site after years of reading others posts for help so sorry if i mess something up! but my friend plans to take a tab of lsd for his 1st time tonight and he heard that other anxiety medication like buspar messes with the i believe 5HT-2a receptor (sorry i know nothing about this technical stuff) so i told him to stop taking his medication 5 days ago to get a good trip (buspar, venlafaxine) which he has been doing but yesterday he took 20mg of hydrocodone 20 mg of oxycodone and 100mg of hydroxyzine to sleep should h be ok to trip 24 hours after taking the 3 different medicines? he isn?t teying to let this happen again cause he did a eighth of shrooms while on buspar months ago and just felt happy for a few minutes with 0 visuals.

Last edited:
You should look up the half lives and the time these drugs remain active in the body before you have him trip. If these are drugs that take weeks to start or stop working then they might still be in his system.

Oxycodone, hydrocodone, and hydroxyzine the day before should affect the trip too much

If you were still groggy when you woke after taking them then you might want to wait until late into the day to take it. If you have a significant tolerance to opiates then i wouldn?t worry about it interfering. If you do decide to wait until later in the day just make sure you don?t have anything to do the next day as you?ll probably be tripping when the sun comes up.

Hydroxyzine is (among other things) a mild 5HT2A antagonist, so still having it in your system can make a trip much less intense.

As for SSRI- or SNRI-type antidepressants, they do seem to diminish trips somewhat, but in general you might want to weigh the risk of having a slightly less intense trip because you?re still on an antidepressant against that of having an intense bad trip because you discontinued your antidepressant...

Note, however, that certain antidepressants also act as 5HT2A agonists - trazodone being a famous offender - and may prevent you from tripping altogether...but as far as venlafaxine is concerned, you might as well continue taking it if you?re planning to take LSD, and if the first trip happens to be underwhelming, just take a higher dose (do not get careless though - your blotters might be unevenly laid, and psychedelics often have steep dose-response-curves).