• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Doctor wont prescribe buprenorphine because I am also prescribed benzos

Lost my sub doc

Ok I?ve been battling a hard a addiction to benzos. I quit a couple weeks ago without any symptoms and thought wow! I?m out of this only for it to come crashing down.

I called my suboxone doctor and told them I can?t just say stop taking it because I get very delusional like the worlds going to end type of delusion. Well they told me they can?t see me since I?ve taken a benzo.

I have five strips left and I told them that I?ll endure the months long darkness I?ll be in until I?m off of it. So it is what it is. I honestly don?t have any other recourse. I have to do this.

Ok I?ve been battling a hard a addiction to benzos. I quit a couple weeks ago without any symptoms and thought wow! I?m out of this only for it to come crashing down.

I called my suboxone doctor and told them I can?t just say stop taking it because I get very delusional like the worlds going to end type of delusion. Well they told me they can?t see me since I?ve taken a benzo.

I have five strips left and I told them that I?ll endure the months long darkness I?ll be in until I?m off of it. So it is what it is. I honestly don?t have any other recourse. I have to do this.

Did they give you any reason beyond refusing to work with someone just because they take benzos? What event caused them to cut you off from buprenorphine?

Sorry, I’m a little confused. Are you trying to get off the benzos? Or are you trying to get off the buprenorphine? Or are you being forced off one or both meds by your buprenorphine provider?

The following is assuming they just cut you off from buprenorphine. If I’m confusing things, I’d still suggest you find someone to help you at least taper off the benzos if you’re currently dependent on them and trying to get off. That is assuming you’re dependent on the benzos though.

—————

Find another buprenorphine doctor. If you’re already dependent on benzos there are lots of doctors who will either work with you to do a slow taper off them or just let you continue using them.

It might take a few tries, but there are lots of buprenorphine providers who are willing to work with patients taking benzos so long as the benzos aren’t causing you to get in car accidents or otherwise endangers your welfare/the welfar of others.

Use SAMHSA’s treatment finder: http://www.samhsa.gov/medication-as...cian-program-data/treatment-physician-locator

Did they give you any reason beyond refusing to work with someone just because they take benzos? What event caused them to cut you off from buprenorphine?

Benzos are the one drug type that most Suboxone doctors will not tolerate for people to fail drug tests for. Of course that is because benzos + opioids are the most common cause of prescription medication OD deaths. So they are extremely nervous about anyone taking benzos, even using them as prescribed in therapeutic doses. Methadone clinics are the same way. The one I know would kick people out if they failed for benzos twice, no questions asked.

To the OP, I am not really sure what you can do. You could try to go find another doctor but they will eventually cut you off as well most likely. The pharma company that produces Suboxone gives training to doctors about how to prescribe Suboxone and one doctor told me that they are directed to be extremely cautious about benzos. Perhaps if you found another doctor and told them you want to get off of both they could help you. They would likely be more tolerant if you were up-front and honest and told them you can't stop the benzos CT but you want off of them. They should be well aware that benzos often can't be stopped CT.

Best of luck!

There are definitely doctors out there who are comfortable prescribing benzos and buprenorphine, same with methadone. Like you said, a lot don’t, but it is still something worth exploring if it’s something the OP wants to do. Especially for someone who was already taking a benzo, it isn’t outside the realm of possibility if the patient has a documented need.

At least benzos and buprenorphine is a little safer than benzos and methadone. Hopefully they figure something out. There are so many issues with getting cut off from necessary medication/treatment.

Ok so I have no more suboxone and I'm having withdrawal. I'm two days into my withdrawal and I feel awful. Nightmares and waking up and feeling my heart pound. I've never really been this far or bad of a withdrawal.
I have Kratom which I took life 8 grams and it lowered th withdrawals but still I'm in them. How would you guys go about withdraw along for 16 mg of suboxone. The clinic kicked me out for no insurance and I was so mad that I just left there without getting my script. It angers me that they would say they would take care of everything just to let me go like that.

So guys how can I help myself with half a pound of Kratom red meang da and really no other option but to go thru it.

First, since 16 mg of Sub is way over the ceiling effect, which isn't any higher than about 8 mg and may even be lower, you're actually kicking 8 mg, not 16, if that makes any sense. Will they give you your script if you go there in person? What they did was unethical and terrible medical practice. You could probably sue them--not that I recommend that, but it's worth knowing in case you wanted to threaten them. Are there any other clinics or doctors around? Or people that sell their subs? I shouldn't recommend anyone do anything illegal, but you do sound desperate. If you could get more short-acting full-agonist drugs like Oxy or Vicodin, you could use them until the sub is out of your system, than taper off them, or even just kick them cold turkey, because even though the w/e will be rough, they will only last 3-5 days. After that you'll probably still feel lousy for a while, but drink lots of water, get comfort meds if possible, and exercise if you possibly can. It's super hard to do, but it really will make you feel better. If it turns out that the only thing you have is the kratom, that still may be better than nothing. If it's making you sick, you may be taking too much. With kratom, as with sub, sometimes less is more. I'm in a similar situation, although my doctor agreed to keep seeing me after I failed miserably at tapering all the way off. I tried to use just kratom to get off subs, and it didn't work that well, but I wound up cross-addicted to both. So now I only take my subs every other day at a super low dose, as I'm supposed to, but it doesn't hold me the whole two days. Usually the evening of the second day, I start to get really achy, runny nose and all that, and I take two capsules. It's the only way I can stand them, and I really don't know the exact dose. I've experimented with them--the vendor says with the strain I have it usually takes about 6 to get an effect. However, 6 or even 4 makes me feel very weird and upsets my stomach. Two seems to be my dose. If I have to go a few days without sub, like if I've taken my script too soon, then I take 2 kratom caps in the morning and 2 at bedtime. It doesn't make me feel the good normal I feel from sub, which also gives me energy, but it does take away the muscle cramps and restless legs that are my worst symptoms. I've gone as long as a week just taking that and been OK, but I think the fact that I still had some sub on board is probably why. Kratom doesn't help my anxiety as well as sub and other opiates do--none of my doctors will give me benzoes, as I black out with them or alcohol, and once I'm in a blackout I don't know what's going to happen. I just do extremely weird shit, and when people ask me about it later, I have no explanation for some of the things I've done. So those are pretty dangerous for me and I stay far away from them Even Ambien shoots huge holes in my memory. Opiates don't, fortunately. Keep us updated about how you're doing, and I hope you get feeling better.

I called them yesterday. Today I was supposed to see them. I told them that whenever I stop a benzo I start to think it?s the end of the world. That I?m at Gods judgment.

They had no sympathy. They were like if anything happens to you he could lose his license. It?s I?m possible to help both issues. I?m really needing to find a doc that will help me wean off but I can?t.

Try to find a psychiatrist who doesn’t just do addiction stuff. Look into university hospital networks of doctors, as these tend to be a bit better than looking up random people.

And just to clarify, you are trying to find a doctor who will taper you off benzos?

Did you get kicked out of your buprenorphine provider’s practice, and you also need to find another buprenorphine provider?

I had a visit today with the doc that I canceled. I told them yesterday I couldn?t just stop the benzos. I would get very delusional. He told me he wasn?t going to see me because there?s a chance he could lose his license if anything happened to me.

I have five films left. If I would of known this was going to happened I would of started to withdrawal. But now I have no other choice.

What they told you about him losing him license is just there way of saying they don’t want you as a patient. And that is technically there perogative. Are you going to try and find another buprenorphine provider?

When you talk to potential treatment providers on the phone, be up front that you also are prescribed benzos and you’re trying to find a doctor who will either work with someone taking both benzos and buprenorphine or will help you taper off buprenorphine - or will work with you to provide you buprenorphine while you work with someone else to taper the benzos.

I called my old suboxone doctor and asked them to tell the owner that next month I?ll pay my money upfront. That the place wouldn?t take me cuz I have a benzo dependencie. So it?s all up in the air but by next month I?ll be over the withdrawals and won?t even need them.

What has your buprenorphine use been like? I’m just wondering how much “fun” you’ll have to look forward to kicking. Hopefully you can find some comfort meds.

And not to beat a dead horse, but let me again encourage you to keep trying to find someone to help you professionally speaking. Even if it is just someone to help you deal with transitioning off buprenorphine, having someone to prescribe comfort meds is really important if you want to maximize your chances for success.

Hang on.please don't say u going to kill your self.remember this is only a phase that will pass.I know it's really hard and it hurts.I was in jail detoxing from 12mg bupe a day and 15mg valium day,for 2 years.I was in jail for 80 days.so yeah I know how u feel.this is how growth and development is done .this is how u build character.listen to Eric Thomas motivational speaker.it will help.I know u don't want to hear what I am saying now,but u will understand if u keep fighting for ur life.it could be worse.u could be in jail,or homeless and going thru this.just always remember that.stay positive

U only been on for 4 months.I been on for 2 years 12mg.u coplain too much just go thru it.I did.not that hard.as time passes it gets better.either u do it or not .stop thinking.I don't mean to be meen.it's just truth.if u lived in nj I could help u get a dr,no problem.but just keep pushing and stand tall

Thanks Tony. I push thru it all. I?m not in sub withdrawal anymore.

I?m going thru benzo withdrawals tho.

I'm glad to hear you're not withdrawing from subs anymore, Sonic. Are you not getting Klonopin either anymore?

I?m begging my doctor to have sympathy on me. I haven?t had benzos in a while. But I can?t function like this.

This ain?t no way to live unfortunately