• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Does anybody know if you can take quetiapine and amitriptyline together at night?

BehindtheShadow

Bluelight Crew
Hi All,

So I take amitriptyline (trepiline 25mgs) every night.

My hubby was prescribed Dopaquel which I believe the active ingredient is (quetiapine) - would it be ok if I took one of his pills in combination with my trepiline?

I don't want to have any bad side effects I would just like to have a good nights sleep.

Any info would be great!

Thanks BtS

The most I could find was increased sedation, which seems to be the point. Most interactions were for CYP enzyme interference or long QT syndrome with other QT problematic drugs like Loperamide, Lamotrigine or Odansetron. Probably couldn't hurt to start off with a conservative dose though and gauge how it effects you. Sleep well and keep posting the good 80's music..

Cool so I was thinking I would take my normal trepiline dose as its prescribed for my pain and then break the other one in half and try that.

Thanks for the info!

Indeed I definitely will and you too - I am loving it

Well, you know the drugs kind of do the same thing. I mean what were you looking to do?

Oh, fall asleep? They should both be good at that.

Jekyl's right, even though they hit a lot of the same brain parts, Dr. Internet doesn't show major reactions.

(we double check, just like your local CVS. And state law.)

So I combined and guess what no fucking sleep!

I feel like a zombie this morning head all fuzzy like Ive gone on a booze binge but no nothing

I am actually at a loss on what to do....

Wait, you didn't sleep; or slept all fitfully and woke up with a hangover?

I've heard rumors the quetiapine makes for rough mornings. I've had plenty of dph fog before.

You had enough anti-histamine to kill all your South African fauna.

I went to bed at 10 and woke at 2am - not a stuff was I going to fall back asleep.

And to make it worse I have the shakes like I'm detoxing off booze

Hey, four hours is awesome though! Shakes is not.

Well, summoning all my medical knowledge, 90% of which I learned looking stuff up for Bluelight posters*, I have two thoughts:

Actually this one is more experiential: there's a point with antihistamines where you can have too much, and wind up staying awake--I was gonna say in a delirium, but that's not the histamine thing, that's a cholinergic thing. But both drugs do that too. So, instead of asleep with bad dreams, you go over the line awake in a weird dream state.

And then you can get shakes from antipsychotics in general, and you took two different ones. Those shakes might just be a side effect.

IDK, when I can't sleep (without meth) I just try to push all the way through to the next bedtime. Take the normal pills, (and I was gonna say try to wear yourself out on a run or walk but then I remembered your stories) then grab your glock or whatever the SA version is (tubbs might know) and go wear yourself out on the steppes.

*"looking "shit" up makes it sound like I don't obsessively enjoy it

I hear you the thing is that I haven't slept properly the whole week.

I did cycle yesterday with my same thought of wearing myself down.

I am now going to take nothing and see of that works.

Thank you for the help!

Well, maybe your regular doctor-prescribed dose. Don't go cold-turkey on that.

EDIT: I think a low-dose benzo wouldn't interfere with that, but if you had any you probably ate them four days ago

Yes indeed had my Ativan and nothing...

I reckon I must now just go to the Dr and see what I can do, I have a problem with pills so I try not to take but I am getting desperate now.

Yes indeed had my Ativan and nothing...

I reckon I must now just go to the Dr and see what I can do, I have a problem with pills so I try not to take but I am getting desperate now.

Amitriptyline at a high enough dose will certainly get you to sleep but it makes you feel like utter shit the next day..

Be careful with it though, is it's extremely nasty if overdosed on..can cause fatal heart rythmn problems with surprising ease.

I have been on it for a long time, my Dr is using it because I am a chronic pain patient.

It doesn't have the sedative effects on me anymore, I only take one pill a night as prescribed because I have a history with pills.

Thanks for the info though I will be careful

I have been on it for a long time, my Dr is using it because I am a chronic pain patient.

It doesn't have the sedative effects on me anymore, I only take one pill a night as prescribed because I have a history with pills.

Thanks for the info though I will be careful

What dose are you on if I may ask?

Im on 25mg

Ah OK, that's quite low but still a standard dose for use as a muscle relaxant for chronic pain..

When it's prescribed for depression, the doses are much higher....up to 100-150mg..the problem is though that at those doses, the side effects are almost intolerable...

Obviously you should speak to your doctor before increasing anything but taking a little but more than 25mg should be fine...