• ⭐️

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Shale

Bluelighter
Call Me by Your Name
Movie Blurb by Shale
January 16, 2018

This evening I went to an "Art Film" at a one-screen little Art Cinema just 4 blocks from my home on Miami Beach. It was the first time venturing into this cinema, which has been here for years, but thot I'd take in this art movie here, rather than at the larger theaters where it was also playing.

Altho the word was out that this was a gay-themed movie, from my experience and bias, I would say it is a bisexual, coming-of-age, teen experimentation story.

Elio & Marzia
6.jpg

The setting is a summer in 1983 and the setup is a 30-something archeology grad student, Oliver (Armie Hammer) working with archeologist Mr. Perlman (Michael Stuhlbarg) while staying at his villa in Northern Italy. He becomes integral to the family and eventually intimate with their 17-year-old son, Elio (Timothee Chalamet).

Family at Lunch
26730914_10156010320720480_5760013991929159644_n.jpg

How can you tell it is an "Art Film" Well, long scenes where the characters leave the scene or the camera pans to scenery with no dialogue is a clue. Sort of like you are looking at a pastoral painting or a foto of interesting architecture in a museum.

Director Luca Guadagnino has said this is "the most calm" movie he has made. Despite being a literary adaptation, many scenes in the film play out wordlessly. "Words are part of what's going on, but it's not necessarily what's going on underneath. I think this film celebrates the underneath," he said.

OK, that said, it was an enjoyable movie for those of us who can get into looking at paintings and fotos in an art museum. Also, for those of us who can tap into a history of experiencing teen infatuations, the excitement of new romances and daring to indulge in the forbidden love that in puritan societies dare not speak its name. What was enjoyable was watching this secret, forbidden love play out in this Italian setting with a more accepting family than normally found in the U.S.

Elio & Oliver First Kiss
Call-Me-By-Your-Name-kiss.jpg

So, I liked the movie just as most reviewers. The aggregate reviews on Rotten Tomatoes gave it a 96% Fresh and their consensus was, "Call Me by Your Name offers a melancholy, powerfully affecting portrait of first love, empathetically acted by Timothee Chalamet and Armie Hammer."

BTW, for those Americans who don't know the difference between "pedophilia" and "ephebophilia" and are aghast that a 30-something guy would hit on a 17-year-old boy (actually, the boy hit on the man, which is often the case) note that the legal age of sexual consent in Italy is 14. Nor is a 15-year age spread between guys unusual at all. (I have made it with guys 40 years younger than me. Again, at their request.)

Dad, Elio & Oliver on Excavation in Italy
call-me-by-your-name-4.png

THIS MOVIE'S PERSONAL IMPACT ON ME

In my movie blurbs, for which no one pays me, I get to mention how a movie impacts me personally. I already gave the blurb so you need not read further.

There is something about romance in the Mediterranean countries that comes so easily. Blame it on the scenery of mountains and rolling hills, or in my case an island in the Sea of Marmara, where I had a romance one summer with a 17-year-old Turkish girl when I was but 20. I, like the grad student was there for a set period of time and had to leave my love, which was heartbreaking. But, ultimately it was a strawfire romance that burned quickly and brightly and left few ashes. We got over it and went to explore other romances. However, it remains in my memory as one of the cherished lessons in my long history of loving others.

26731067_10156010323705480_8963671009108265241_n.jpg

This movie also brot up my hidden desires as a teen, when I was infatuated with the culturally proscribed girls but also unaware at the time of my deeper feelings for my best buddy in high school. Yes, I was in love with my exotic Sicilian friend Tomas-Angelo at a time when that was not even a consideration in middle America.

26734169_10156010323755480_7265366875466211953_n.jpg

Which, is why it is so refreshing to see a movie of a teen in a culture where, not only can he be physically intimate with a girl, but also explore his love of a man.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for opening up and sharing your experiences along with photos!

It's understandable how this movie had such an impact on you.

Call Me By Your Name was beautifully made. I was on the journey along with Elio while watching, it's like I tapped into his emotions. haha

It was thrilling to watch and definitely interesting to see Elio go from being with a girl to falling for an older man. He was a teenager and still trying to figure himself out sexually.

I love how the romance unfolded, all the excitement and inevitable heartache.

What Elio's father said at the end was perfect, very touching and true. If only all families were that accepting.

Loved it so much!

Last edited:
Perhaps it was those detailed moments of the camera looking at scenery, or lingering on unimportant moments in the story, that I too feel a part of this family that I watched for 2 hours on screen. I suppose it created a feeling of intimacy with the characters. I'll probably be seeing it again.

Going to see this soon--glad to hear you both liked it. I'll revisit the thread once I've seen it.

It is one of those films with so many layers, the kind that keeps you thinking about the characters long after the movie ends.

Thought it was a very good film. Saw it at home, so it was nice to be able to relax and eat on the couch during the slower parts.

Some beautiful scenes and scenery. The acting was fantastic. I think my favorite scene was near the end with Elio talking with his father after Oliver had left.

This is on my list for sure. Saw the trailer when I went to watch 'Battle of the Sexes' and looked very good.

Thought it was a very good film. Saw it at home, so it was nice to be able to relax and eat on the couch during the slower parts.

latest

Some beautiful scenes and scenery. The acting was fantastic. I think my favorite scene was near the end with Elio talking with his father after Oliver had left.

Yesss...I saw it at home too. My grandmother watched it with me. haha Good times...she enjoyed it as well!

A few family members called during it and I was telling my granny to keep it quiet about the name of the movie we were watching. Not every one is as open-minded...

I think my favorite scene was near the end with Elio talking with his father after Oliver had left.

Loved that scene as well though the critics seem to have hated it. Fortunately I didn't read their dismissals until after I had seen the film myself.

Loved that scene as well though the critics seem to have hated it. Fortunately I didn't read their dismissals until after I had seen the film myself.

I loved that scene too, but I think the last one was my favorite. The one with Elio staring into the fire.

The song Chalamet listened to was, in fact, Sufjan Steven's "Visions of Gideon," which also accompanies the scene in the film.

"Sufjan's song was playing in my ear so I could mirror the structure," Chalamet said. "It was bit of an acting experiment. I was grateful I had enough personal experiences to draw from. I don't wanna do that all the time... With the camera this close and the take being as long as it is ? it felt like anything else would ring false. The camera was just in the fireplace. There wasn't anybody behind it."

https://www.out.com/movies/2018/3/1...istening-during-final-call-me-your-name-scene

Yes. When Elios was staring into the fire crying after hearing about the engagement, I immediately thought of Damien Rice's song "Cheers Darlin". Fit the mood perfectly.

Damien Rice - Cheers Darlin'

https://youtu.be/GzKFEx-wsJo

Thought I'd update on this. i think this was the bet film I saw from 2017 (think i watched all Oscar nominations). There's something about this film that touches a slight nostalgia, not the fact I've been through a gay experience like this but I think it was the way it was filmed. I used to spend long summers in France, in a small village that reminds me of where this was shot. When they visit places like the lake similar to what I used to do when I was 12-17. Amazing film.