• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

SCIENTISTS believe they have finally found a cure for cocaine dependency

Jabberwocky

Frumious Bandersnatch
SCIENTISTS believe they could be on the way to curing cocaine addiction after successfully defeating dependency to the drug in mice.

Mount Sinai researchers in New York say they have identified a protein produced by the immune system ? granulocyte-colony stimulating factor (G-CSF) ? which may be specifically responsible for the development of cocaine addiction.

They say the molecule, which affects the reward centres of the brain, is found in the blood and brain at higher levels in repeat users of the Class A drug.

The scientists used a treatment which neutralises G-CSF as medication in the successful experiment on mice. And, the treatment is already known to be safe in humans.

?The results of this study are exciting because outside of 12-step programs and psychotherapy, no medication-assisted therapy exists to treat cocaine addiction,? lead researcher Dr Drew Kiraly and assistant professor of psychiatry at Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai told The Independent .

Researchers injected G-CSF into the ?nucleus accumbens?, a brain region associated with reward, which caused the mice to take more cocaine.

However, they found that the protein does not change the animal?s motivation to consume a more natural reward, sugar water.

?Drugs that manipulate G-CSF already exist as Food and Drug Administration-approved medications,? said Kiraly.

?Once we clarify how it can best be targeted to reduce addiction-like behaviours, there is a high possibility that treatments targeting G-CSF could be translated into clinical trials and treatments for patients.?

017ef951b3c87d56603fe3ff5b567c5e

According to National Geographic, scientists around the world are looking at medications to treat cocaine addiction and some are even using electromagnetic treatments such as transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS).

A TMS patient, Patrick Perotti from Genoa, Italy told the magazine that the electromagnetic technique has finally suppressed his addiction to cocaine. It came after almost nine months in rehab which failed to quell the dependency which ruined his life.

?I began to use cocaine with rage,? he said. ?I became paranoid, obsessed, crazy. I could not see any way to stop.?

Perotti?s psychiatrist Luigi Gallimberti said his transcranial magnetic stimulation has also worked on other patients with similar success. He and his colleagues are planning a large-scale trial and technique is now being tested for other types of addiction by researchers around the world.

Source: http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/he...n/news-story/3f2c4de1a99f8245f2506ee0e9a09505

SCIENTISTS believe they have finally found a cure for cocaine dependency
SCIENTISTS believe they could be on the way to curing cocaine addiction after successfully defeating dependency to the drug in mice

Can't even go one sentence before letting it slip that the scientists said no such thing.

People keep mistrusting science and one reason for that is they believe scientists keep claiming something then contradicting it when it truth, the scientists never claimed what they thought at all. The media misrepresented them.

I hate the media.

I just hate the corporate media.
Newscorp are the worst. These are the creeps that run fox news and helped trump get elected.
Bullshit artists.

I swear this same article comes out once a year

I just hate the corporate media.
Newscorp are the worst. These are the creeps that run fox news and helped trump get elected.
Bullshit artists.

Please, they're all terrible. Social media is terrible too. Almost all media that exists that covers news and current events is terrible these days.

I guess any that had higher standards weren't interesting enough to maintain popularity.

Wow, haters?

I found the article still interesting

I take it you aren't aware of how much of a joke this kind of research is? Not saying it shouldn't be done, but that the priorities are a little fucked up.

And like Jess said, the disparity between what's being reported here and what this research might actually mean are also ENTIRELY two different things.

There is no treatment the horizon that "cures" cocaine addiction. There is no medical treatment that can "cure" addiction (although I guess it does depends on what you mean by addiction).

Ugh... I hate modern medicine sometimes. I medicine had issues a hundred years ago, so it would be silly to think those would just evaporate after the end of last century. More like a little foolish.

That's probably cause science is a continuous process so every year people do studies on similar things and every year the media turns them into sensationalist bullshit.

Doesn't even have to be the same thing, two quite different studies about addiction could still turn out the same once the media's done with them.

Then of course there's the fact that studies are repeated to get better data. So the second study validating the first study then again becomes "cure for addiction" the second time around.

That's probably cause science is a continuous process so every year people do studies on similar things and every year the media turns them into sensationalist bullshit.

Doesn't even have to be the same thing, two quite different studies about addiction could still turn out the same once the media's done with them.

Then of course there's the fact that studies are repeated to get better data. So the second study validating the first study then again becomes "cure for addiction" the second time around.

That's a pretty rosy view of scientific research (especially when it's research related to addiction).

In practice it doesn't happen so logically. To some degree peer review articles won't just disappear, or at least that's the idea of the whole scientific aspect - they don't disappear until they fall out of favor. But forces keeping thing in/out of favor seem more about politics and funding than more objective science or medical research.

There are some pretty crazy issues with neuroscience, psychology and addiction related research fields (and of course most other forms of research involving human groups and individuals).

Well it's not perfect. Science is done by people and even the most gifted and intelligent of people are influenced by their biases. Usually unlike most people though they're a lot more aware of it.

Yes there is politics in science and it sucks like politics anywhere, but science is still a lot better at being objective than well, pretty much anything else.

But, like with anything, people often tend towards extremes where they don't see a realistic view of anything but see an extreme. So they frequently don't trust science at all rather than seeing the reality. Which is that science usually doesn't say what most people think it says