• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Almost ruined my life while wasted

Phoenix517

Greenlighter
I am a 34 yo woman. I have been going through a difficult time for personal reasons- mostly family related stuff. However, I do not consider myself depressed or suicidal. I have long been a problem drinker - I binge on occasion (used to every weekend in my younger days- got a handle on it recently or so I thought and it's a rarer thing). But many days I don't drink at all and frequently stick with 1-2 glasses of wine. However, I had a birthday party last week and got absolutely wasted. My boyfriend, whom I love and adore, got very frustrated with me because it was only 8pm and I was puking, embarrassing myself etc. he got me home but I guess was yelling at me (I don't remember anything, this is what he says). He said I took a knife and began hacking at my arm. Three cuts went very deep. He called the cops, I end up in the ER, managed to just get stitches and talk them out of psychiatric help. Doctor said if I went one millimeter deeper I would never have been able to move two of my fingers again. I still can't move one finger, though maybe that will change with time. I feel like I woke up to absolute horror. My boyfriend is devastated, says he feels traumatized by the whole thing. I am terrified he will leave me because this was so crazy. Also just can't believe I did this, I feel like I can never drink again. But I've said that a thousand times before and never stuck with it. Afraid to talk to friends because they will think I'm crazy. Today I have to go back to work after a long holiday weekend and I just can't bear being here. I am so upset I don't know what to do.

Last edited:
are there any counselling services (specifically for drug and alcohol issues) that you can seek help from?

it sounds like a pretty awful situation, and like a few people i know - it sounds like you probably shouldn't drink for a while (or possibly ever), but i'm painfully aware of how much easier that is to say than it is to do.

it sounds like your partner needs a bit of support through this too.
i had a (drug) counsellor once that spent a bit of time talking to me and my girlfriend, as my drug addiction was putting her through hell.
do you think something like that could work for you?
i know i just benefited from having someone to discuss my mental health and compulsion to use drugs (and desire to not be addicted) with.

wishing you all the best - alcohol is a serious drug which makes a lot of people act really out of character, but it's just so normalised.
i was just discussing with someone a few minutes ago how i take lots of drugs - most drugs - from time to time, but i do not touch alcohol. it's dangerous stuff, to me - so for a variety of reasons, i simply avoid it altogether. it's been 8 years since i had a drink (but i still get high).

i hope your finger heals up nicely - and finally, many happy returns. i hope that your birthday wasn't all disastrous, and that things get better for you from here <3

Spacejunk- thank you for all the thoughts. I?m actually on my way to my therapist now and will see if she has ideas specifically to address the substance issue and also if there are resources to help my boyfriend.

I am committed to going at least a few months without drinking at all, while I figure out whether abstinence or real commitment to moderation is the best thing for me in the long run. You really hit the nail on the head- it is scary how much alcohol can change you. I?d never have done this without it.

Alcohol can be a terrifying drug. I have had so many people in my life that were like Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde when sober or drunk; one minute they were they wonderful people you thought you knew and the next minute they were completely unaware of the destruction they were causing to themselves and everyone around them. Everyone around them tended to walk away over time. If alcohol does this to you, why even consider keeping it in your life? It sounds like you had a very close call--you almost lost your fingers and someone very important to you. I'm happy that your hand was saved and that you still have this person in your life but his trust has been seriously affected and it would help both of you to understand addiction (so that it is not personalized becoming a source of shame). If you can work on the issues that underlie the addiction, the addiction will be easier to heal. I'm glad that you have access to a therapist and that you are being so honest and willing to work on change--that takes a lot of courage. Try very hard not to blame yourself (especially morally) for what is a neurological and psychological condition. Believing in yourself and taking care of yourself in these vulnerable times is so important.<3

Herbavore- thank you so much for your thoughtful response. It?s really heartening. Honestly, I feel like I never want to touch alcohol again, and I?ve never felt this way for so long in the past (about four days now), despite countless unpleasant drunken episodes (none of which were this bad though). Im going to take it one day at a time, but currently I?m scared of alcohol in a way I never have been before, and hoping this incident is what I needed to give it up completely for good.

I'm scared of alcohol in a way I never have been before, and hoping this incident is what I needed to give it up completely for good.

I'm hoping for the same for you! Get all the support that you can and I know you can do it. Feel free to update this thread as much as you need to; you chart your experience and also get the support of this community.<3

I can totally relate to what you and your boyfriend are going through. I was in the same situation as your boyfriend except I was the husband and it was my wife and she was a raging, basically binge, drinker. I used to explain to her the next day holw much I hate having to babysit her when she gets like that. I can't leave her alone, I have to make sure she doesn't hurt herself etc. It is no fun at all! I try to explain to her when she goes off like that, it is impossible for me to enjoy myself. Of course it's always, I'm sorry I won't let it happen again and on and on. Never happened unfortunately. Hopefully, for you, your boyfriend won't leave over it. I didn't but it was touch and go on numerous occasions.

Please do what you need to so you don't' let what happened happen again, for both of your sakes. BTW, he may benefit from going to some ALANON meetings. If you aren't familiar with it, it assists folks in relationships with alcoholics. Just thought I would throw that out there. Good luck!

My girlfriend has done exactly this on more than one occasion. She is a 'moderate suicide risk' SOBER. When drinking she has taken out knives more than once and tried to hurt herself. Also ended up in ER and cut me too. I still have the scar. I think your partner should learn to be supportive. I was never upset for long after these incidents. Try talking to him in a really calm way and explain that you need his help and support.

Hi everyone, thanks for the support and replies. Pickledmons and BeachBum4U, thanks for sharing your similar experiences, it's helpful to know I'm not the only one out there..although I'm sorry you had to go through this sort of stuff too.

I have an unfortunate update, which is that I will have to have hand surgery. I was not regaining the ability to move my middle and pinky finger, went to a hand surgeon and he determined I lacerated a tendon and the only fix is immediate emergency hand surgery. I won't be able to use my hand for 6 weeks, which is really scaring me as I live alone and type a lot for work. On the upside, I haven't had a drink since the incident, and my boyfriend and I are doing better. He feels awful about what I'm going through now and I think encouraged by the fact I've been really serious about staying away from alcohol. thanks again everyone for the support, it's helping me through.

I'm sorry that you have to have surgery but thankful that the disability will be temporary!<3

This is my first contribution to this site, even though I've frequented it numerous times over the years. I guess there's a first for everything, right? I kinda landed on this thread just by chance. The title stuck out to me, maybe. I'm 34 and not having the easiest time in life right now, emotionally/mentally/etc. I was going to put an entry into my online journal (something I wanted to do occasionally to keep track of where I am as I start on bupropion again) but maybe this will serve a better purpose. I need an outlet and you seem to need to be reassured that you're not losing your grip on reality.

I've kinda put myself through it all over the years....stints that total years of sobriety, periods of hopeless addiction, periods of recreational use that came and went with unnerving ease, and periods like now where I'm kinda.... Well, I don't know where I am lately. Got off work three hours ago, laying in bed with my wife passed out next to me while I type this, and I'm going on 48 hours of no sleep. You could probably guess that I haven't been drinking.

But what spacejunk said and the way he said it kind of rang true for me. Like I said, I've been around "the circuit". There hasn't been a lot of substances that I haven't befriended. My wife and I are as close as I could imagine me being with anyone else; we've had hours of conversation about much of what's talked about in this thread, and we've come to the same conclusion: alcohol is a monster of a drug. It kind of baffles me how our society plays it off like it's not even a drug. Some kind of weird veil has been placed over most people's eyes about it. It's acceptable. It's accessible. It's tolerated simply because it's legal, while if I were to drink, say, heroin water, I'd probably be the scum of the Earth to a lot of people. And a lot of THOSE people would be looking so far down on me with a beer in their hand. "Drugs and alcohol". It sounds right because it's been drilled into us. It's a stupid mental label we use to make.... whatever it is.....easier to accept or make sense of. Let's cut the shit, alcohol IS drugs.

I'm never going to endorse or promote or push drug use on ANYONE. I can't condemn or condone. You do what you feel like you have to and we can just hope that you'll do stupid things as intelligently as possible and without hurting other people. That being said, without exception, the only time where my life had taken a drastic turn, or a horrific incident occurred, or a memory where regret is the only thing I could pull from a past event, or physical harm was done to me BY me, ALCOHOL was the driving factor. I'm not saying I'm blaming alcohol. I'm the one that performed all those actions. Alcohol was my happy-to-oblige enabler. Hand me meth and a pipe. Toss me heroin and tinfoil. None of those are "smart" ideas, but they're far from the worst (if we're talking about drug use specifically). You want to see a bad night? You want to see Jekyll and Hyde? You want to see a blackout-driven shitstorm that ends in blood, cops, picking fights, crying, peeing in my own closet, and jumping out of a moving vehicle? Then hand me a bottle of whatever you can get from any store at any hour in America. Perfectly legal. Taxed and everything. Nothing extraordinarily horrific happens on ANY other drug for me. Alcohol is to me what society wants you to think meth is for everyone. I know I'm not alone in that. Alcohol is what I should never take, if something is to be taken.

I'm rambling. Did I mention this is my first comment on bluelight? Did I mention I should've been asleep 24 hours ago?

Phoenix517, my point in this wasn't to ramble about myself. My point was to hopefully reach out and relate to someone else that's also having problems and going through shit. I've been where you are. More than once. It's terrifying. And there's that knot of tightly-wound regret that you can physically feel at your core. Like all you want to do is close your eyes and go back to redo it. All of it. It always felt like a strange desperate anxiety. Like I wanted to crawl out of myself. It's awful. And if you're feeling anything like that, I really am sorry.

It's not the end of your world though, obviously. Realistically, there's nothing to be ashamed of. I'm sure that won't stop the feeling though. We're human. We're messed up. I mean, look what we're given to work with. Of COURSE crazy stuff is bound to go down. If I had to give advice from my own experience, I'd say try to look at it as objectively as possible. Drowning in shame won't do anything for anyone. Obviously things need to be addressed. That's up to you and if you both choose, your boyfriend to decide on. But it's not as horrible as it feels. Be as honest as you can with yourself, ask for help if you need it (I need some as I write this), and don't punish yourself while you figure this out. I think you've already gotten that part out of the way. ;-)

Sorry everyone if the length of this was in poor taste. On the flip side, I haven't spoken this many words in a long time.

hey closedeyesopened--thanks for replying and sharing your own experiences. I'm so glad to hear from people who can relate to what I'm going through. It's been such a shocking wakeup call. I really fooled myself for years, thinking there's no real problem...I have a good education, great job, lots of friends, fully functioning member of society. So what if I get blackout drunk most weekends, wakeup fuzzy headed and late for work most weekdays from too many glasses of wine? Spend most of my discretionary income on booze (used to spend it on both booze and blow, quit the latter a while ago), plan most of my free time around drinking....I never paid a high price. Well, I'm paying it now. And I'm looking at the past 15 years and realizing how much alcohol has (negatively) impacted my life, relationships, etc. I am so scared of a life without booze, but I'm so scared of having something like this happen again. You describe perfectly the feeling of regret. And if I keep drinking, if I try moderating, how can I guarantee it won't? I'll be paying the price for that one drunk night for months, if not more. Ive told everyone at work I fell and hurt my wrist, that's why I have to have surgery. I keep wondering what they would think if they knew the truth; surely they'd be shocked and think I was a very troubled person. I guess that's what I would think of someone who had done this. But you're right, shame isn't going to help-- and is probably part of what got me here in the first place. Anyway, I'm sorry to hear that you're struggling too; I can relate to insomnia for sure! thanks for the words of support -- it really helps.

The alcohol is making you depressed and affecting your life. It's time to put the drink down, you're 34 yo. Doing drugs and getting wasted are actually the immature thing to do. Adults have moved on from that.

It's time to be a real woman and make something of yourself.

Really?? That doesn't seem constructive, or caring, in any way. I'm sure this troubled person thanks you for finally using your words and releasing her from the hell she's in. No. The old "work through it, work harder, be the bigger person" bullshit needs to go away and die, because it serves no purpose. Don't you think, if it were that easy, she (and all of us) wouldn't even need to be here??

Yeah I have to agree, especially since the OP has already stated that this has been a wakeup call. What's the purpose of shaming someone for sharing a mistake they made?

I guess the purpose in this case would be that ONE person is getting to feel better about themselves or the way they view reality by stepping on another person. Basically, the epitome of what I think is our society's...or maybe the world's problems. We've overstepped our bounds into the world of "selfish and greedy". I'm saying this not to put dude down or anything, I'm sure he has problems just like the rest of us. But my negative contribution to this world is usually reigned in BEFORE I start vomiting my issues onto someone else just so I can feel better. There's more important things in my life than how fearful, hurt, or how wronged I think I am.

He said "adults have moved on from that."
They have?! Where are all these adults who are so put together and healthy?? I haven't been everywhere but I've been around enough to know that's total bullshit. The simple, unstoppable act of aging doesn't guarantee your life's growth as a person. A child would think otherwise though. Besides, if that's true, who's drinking billions of dollars worth of booze every year? Who is it I see in the news that had their kids taken away because they couldn't kick the habit? Why would there be an endless black market drug trade worldwide if there aren't all these well-established ADULTS to purchase them and keep the wheel turning???

But yeah, sure. Adults have it all figured out. Every one of them. All the adults. We should all feel bad for being so behind and struggling with personal problems.

xorkoth, closedeyesopen, thanks very much for the support. I haven't touched a drink in 15 days, since the incident, and am beginning to feel better about myself. still nervous about the future. so many people on here have helped to make this a less horrible experience for me. Having surgery on Tuesday and fingers crossed it goes ok, and I eventually get use of my two fingers back.