• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Oxy Detox.. dying, help!

Blueeyes01

Bluelighter
Hey everyone. It has been 2 weeks today since I started an aggressive wean off about 100mg oxycodone. Yesterday was my first day without any and you guys, I am dying. I literally feel like I'm dying. I've lost nearly a pound a day (130 down to 119) and I wasn't big to begin with.

I can't sleep. Zzquil, NyQuil aren't helping anymore. I can barely move. I bought some kratom and it allowed me to nap but I just don't want to take it. I see no end in sight. I am not getting better like I thought I'd be by now. I've done this in the past and was fine. I guess my tolerance is much higher this time.

I guess my question is, should I push a few more days? Cold sweats have ceased but my body is done. My mind wants to check out. I feel every single second of agony. Should I go to the hospital? I don't even know if they could help. Any suggestions/motivation needed!

Hey maybe your tolerance is having an effect on the duration of withdrawals this time. I know how much this sucks right now, maybe give the Kratom another try. It?s hard to say about the hospital as that is a decision you need to make when you feel it?s time to go. Based on your experiences, do you feel like you can make it a few more days? If not then the hospital might be the way to go. I wish I could be more helpful, I wish you the best and hope better days are ahead.

Thank you! I just can't move. I've been in bed two weeks, I'm SO weak. I can't eat or sleep. I'm at my wits end. I just wish I had an end date to push towards to keep me going

Hi B.E's
If you feel like you might be able to push through a little further then I would suggest the following.

With the opioid crisis hospitals these days are less inclined to help with opioid withdrawal other than maybe some Clonidine and/ or Gabapentin. Both are excellent comfort meds but I seriously doubt they would administer any narcotics. I would have to suggest continuing with the Kratom as each day you abstain from the harder opioids the closer you will get to feeling more of the Kratom. Although I do recommend caution with long term Kratom use as it's difficult to abstain from as well, but in a more severe case of Oxy W/D it's best to slay one beast at a time, the biggest first, being the Oxy then worry about the kratom.

Do you have any access to the aforementioned meds Gabapentin, Lyrica or Clonidine? I would rank them very high as effectiveness goes during W/D, secondly and another slippery slope but in a rough case like this conservative use of a sedative like benzodiazepines can help, just not anything that spans more than a week or so. Stay away from Diphenhydramine as it worsens symptoms of RLS, restless leg syndrome which can become bothersome, but the Kratom should help with that, at least some.

Lastly but still important is taking care of your body during this rough time. I'd suggest something like Gatorade or Pedialyte to stay hydrated and get some electrolytes. Next maybe move on to Ensure meal supplement type of shake or a slimfast shake as you need some calories, carbs and Protein, A multi vitamin is also great to help rectify the imbalance going on with neurotransmitters, adenyl cyclase, etc. Even milk, if you drink it already and don't have any issues with lactose, can help keep the Kratom from making you sick.

It will end, and you'll feel much better soon, even though minutes seem like hours, they are still ticking by. If you could have someone help you with laundry, meal prep, groceries, it would help as you can say you have the flu as the symptoms look the same to an outside observer.

Here's a few links for some more suggestions:

http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads/493024-Utilising-Kratom-for-Opiate-Withdrawal

http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads/569872-The-Opioid-Withdrawal-Megathread-and-FAQ

http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads/32895-*MERGED*-Guide-to-narcotic-withdrawal

Hang in there Blueeyes, if you really feel that medical attention is warranted then by all means seek help, but otherwise hold on a little longer.<3

What kind of relationship do you have with the medical community OP? Do you have access to anything resembling a person that can prescribe medication? There's no reason for you to be suffering in full withdrawal when there are medications out there that can easily take the edge off. Get back to me.

I unfortunately don't know anybody other than my oxy dealer. He has xanax but that's about it, he used to have Suboxone but his guy doesn't get those anymore. I just can't believe I'm 2 weeks in and still dragging, big time.

Thank you for such a thought out answer! I didn't know the diphenhydramine was making these Restless legs so much worse. Kratom did help knock me out but I did not like it. And I wasn't able to find the kratom most people recommend. This is just some expensive smoke shop kratom capsules. I appreciate your help. I feel like I'm going through a tunnel and every time I think I'm about to see the light.... nope, still dark, your body still hates you. ?

I do have access to half a bottle of liquid hydrocodone my boyfriend got when he had bronchitis? I prob should stay away but I want to chug that damn bottle. ?

Yeah the Kratom is not pleasant but it can make the landing softer after jumping off. There are things like Valerian root and Ashwaganda that might help a little. While I absolutely wouldn't want you calling your dealer if you could acquire any of the these meds they would help

Gabapentin, Lyrica, Clonidine, Loperamide at recommended doses for your GI tract, most any sedative besides Diphenhydramine. Hydroxine, promethazine might help somewhat. And some good ol' TLC if you have anybody near you..

I'd save hydrocodone till you hit DEFCON 1, like the last resort of all! It will help but might set you back a ways. If you do use some keep it MINUTE as in 1/4 teaspoons.

You guys are life savers. I appreciate your help so much. I could take some Imodium. I haven't eaten enough to really have any GI issues other than gas. This process sucks! I have a toddler too thankfully who is with his dad today but I get him back tomorrow and it is agony trying to care for him when I can barely move! Yeah the hydrocodone bottle doesn't even say how much is in the 1tsp recommended dose. So thank you for clarifying how much I should take. Im so tempted to take a little. I just want this to be over

Hydro-syrup could set you back though :\ Try to get something to eat & drink + vitamins if you can as this is hard on one body and brain. Be kind to yourself too. :)

As Jekyl has implied, you really want to focus your efforts on obtaining medications that aren't Opioids. Taking Opioids, even Loperamide (Immodium) has the potential to set back the duration of your syndrome. I always tell folks to take the smallest amount of Loperamide possible. You could take the Hydrocodone, but you run the risk of restarting your withdrawal disproportionately. In short, it's really not worth it.

So, you only have access to your dealer. That's rough, but I would ask him or anyone else you know about Gabapentin (Neurontin), Pregabalin (Lyrica), Clonidine (Catapres) just to name a few, but your best bet is to find a way to get to a doctor. I have a legitimate fear that if you try to go this "all or nothing" route, with only your dealer as a support mechanism, you will fail. It says nothing about your character, but it's not the best position to be in. You really should try to find a way to access a prescriber.

The emergency department can be an unenjoyable experience for an addict, but in my experience, they will typically send you out with something. I really feel like this is built on a fragile foundation and that you need to do more to ensure your success.

Thank you Keif. I'm starting to think I should see a doctor. This is just getting too hard on me mentally and physically. You're right the last damn place I want to be is at a hospital. Is a regular doctor going to be able to help? Here in Virginia we have walk in clinics, similar to urgent care. Most people go for minor things, flus, etc. Or is a hospital my best bet? I'm not even sure what to say. "Hey soooo im in opiate withdrawal, and need help" so embarrassing. I'm not sure my insurance would cover this either. A regular doctor would be cheaper than a hospital visit right? I'm glad you mentioned immodium possibly setting me back. Just was reading about how helpful it can be and was about to grab some.

Ok so I raided our medicine cabinet for ANYTHING I think may be helpful and came across Hydroxyzine Pam (allergy sleep medicine) Flexeril (muscle relaxant) and Promethazine (antihistamine/sedative). Would any of these be useful and worth trying?? I do not want to take anything that will set me back! Thank you!

Hi there. I am on Day 2 of a 200 mg daily oxy habit (blues, swallowed, up to 8 a day.)

I suggest you head on over to Sober Living. Great advice from like-minded folks and great detox and WD tips.

Can you get an suboxone? Kratom? Kratom works wonders, it is truly a miracle plant. Get to a nearby headshop that might have it, or have some overnighted. There are tons of reputable vendors online.

You can also try high dose loperamide. Apparently it really works, though I have never taken more than 6 mg at a time. Take it hour by hour and minute by minute, and hang in there.

Maybe a mod can move you to SL.

Ok so I raided our medicine cabinet for ANYTHING I think may be helpful and came across Hydroxyzine Pam (allergy sleep medicine) Flexeril (muscle relaxant) and Promethazine (antihistamine/sedative). Would any of these be useful and worth trying?? I do not want to take anything that will set me back! Thank you!

I don't think any of the above will set you back, however I think the relief will be minimal. Have any Immodium in that med cabinet? That is what you need!

Hi Blueeyes01. I was desperately searching all over the internet today and i've been taking in all the info i could get on this site then i registered and saw your post at the top. I too am in the 2nd week of oxy withdrawal and while its a bit different what's happening and what i am trying up til now, i also feel like i'm going to die or go out of my mind, varying minute to minute.

What resonated most with me is that you are a mother like myself, and maybe we can be a support for one another as i am all alone in this except for my child who understand's Mommy's been sick for 15 days, and while she is super supportive of that, i am scared to seek medical attention because any other search i did about withdrawal at home suggested detox, rehab, etc., and that i would lose custody of my child til i was proven i was getting continued help.

I had been given prescription oxycodone 5mg after a car accident injury sustained for over a year which i have been weaning since Christmas, and now this constant state of hell with nothing. i learned alot from just this thread so thank you for posting!!! I thought this would be over after 5-7 days, and the only thing i think is helping at all is i have my anti-anxiety script of Klonopin .25mgs. which i am taking and getting sleep. i had been taking Imodium AD for the GI issues, now i'm reading this may have been setting me back which is awful. i also got a script to the Hydroxinepam, but wonder what that will do too. my best suggestion would be the benzo for sleep but then there's that addiction which i am already accepting my fate to be kept on that for anxiety disorder/panic attacks/night terrors, long story there. Everything feels heightened now. Like the volume is turned up on every pain, every symptom, every pre-existing condition.

When will this end right? I may make my own post, but wanted to tell you i'm here in the thick of it waiting on relief, i've been in been straight since New Years, and worry that i've gained weight from not moving or bedsores. I'm terrified, and wonder if i'll ever be ok. i know it ends, but i keep thinking something more is wrong, like i have pneumonia or other, have you thought the same? i also realize my body's tolerance may be down to get through this. Anyway, just offering moral support, company in misery, etc.

I also agree with posts above about going to the hospital or even urgent care, if you have any concerns about being shamed etc., as even when i've gone in for severe bronchitis and other valid illnesses this past year, i was given speeches about the "epidemic" of overdoses and opiate abuse, that people were cutting off their fingers to get some. i felt like it was a warning especially when i actually sprained my ankle ice skating & went to the ER thinking it was broke, i was given ibuprofen and released. It felt like they thought i was lying.

In the states, the Veteran's Administration brought a doctor on board that cut off all opioids to two dozen amputees wounded in battle, he was completely puzzled as to why one veteran finally assaulted him..

It's a mess and a knee jerk reaction to the opioid crisis, while some reigning-in is justified, pain relief should still be offered in applicable cases. Even things like Diclofenac sodium should be offered over acetaminophen or ibuprofen IMO.

Blueeyes I hope you can maybe try another round of kratom and/or seek out gabapentin, lyrica or clonidine. If the cold sweats have stopped you might be getting close to starting to level out a bit. I think the Sober-Living Sub Forum is another great place to see what some others are going through and doing to make it through rough times. The-Dark-Side is another good one as well.

Hydroxyzine Pam (allergy sleep medicine) Flexeril (muscle relaxant) and Promethazine (antihistamine/sedative) are all great if you have them. I'd use the first two over promethazine but you can try any combination that helps.

Most all of this is recommended for you too Nightbird. Welcome :)

I unfortunately don't know anybody other than my oxy dealer. He has xanax but that's about it, he used to have Suboxone but his guy doesn't get those anymore. I just can't believe I'm 2 weeks in and still dragging, big time.
You can get xanax. I quit my fent/suboxone (5mg) habit (I swithed back and forth) last week by taking enough xanax to knock me unconscious for 3 days. Many will probably think this is a bad idea. But I havent had any subs or fent in over a week now. I've been taking tiny doses of kratom 4g twice a day with pepper and tumeric. With this method I havent even experienced RLS. If you're going to take a mouthful of xanax make sure you to have somebody to monitor your breathing etc... I still feel like I'm giving bad advice but it really was painless. I slept for the 3 worst days of withdrawals, and I either didn't experience any pain or dont remember.

EDIT: If you are going to do this... make sure you are not going to get out of bed. Do not leave the house and most importantly, don't drive.

Last edited: