• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

tyramine interaction with mdma/meth?

lemonman

Bluelighter
Hi,

If you use high amounts of MDMA or meth either by them selves or dare I say with each other (no need to say that is dangerous)

does eating foods with tyramine cause a negative reaction to the drugs I listed above?.
even though all the papers say its only tyramine that interacts with MAOIS's.

but if your taking massive amounts of meth or mdma will not that be the exact same as taking an normal dose of meth or mdma with an maoi??...

Thanks.

As far as I know orally administered tyramine doesn't make it to the brain because it is rapidly destroyed by MAO in liver/blood.

but if your taking massive amounts of meth or mdma will not that be the exact same as taking an normal dose of meth or mdma with an maoi??...

Not really, MAOIs prevent the monoamines from breaking down, large doses of meth/MDxx simply release lots of the neurotransmitters and don't necessarily effect the breakdown of them

As far as I know orally administered tyramine doesn't make it to the brain because it is rapidly destroyed by MAO in liver/blood.

Not really, MAOIs prevent the monoamines from breaking down, large doses of meth/MDxx simply release lots of the neurotransmitters and don't necessarily effect the breakdown of them

I suppose you could argue that any MAO substrate (which includes your monoamine neurotransmitters) competes with tyramine for the enzyme, and, as such, becomes a (really really weak & reversible) MAOI to some extent.

Still, I am pretty sure that the effects of dietary tyramine on blood pressure are barely significant (and will only last for a very short amount of time at best) in comparison to those of the high-dose meth + MDMA combo.