• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Aerobics and Serotonin

db1995

Bluelighter
I understand that aerobic exercise increases serotonin production.

I want to know if continued aerobic exercise can lead to long term boosts in serotonin.

In other words, does the boost in serotonin stop and go back down after exercising?

Asking because I'm looking to boost my serotonin after depleting it from a 3 day mdma binge. Been 7 months.

Last edited:
The effect of acute exercise on synaptic neurotransmitter concentrations is transient. They likely return to baseline levels within just a couple of hours.

The effect of acute exercise on synaptic neurotransmitter concentrations is transient. They likely return to baseline levels within just a couple of hours.

It won't help me raise that baseline level, even at a slow rate?

Also, what then could help raise it?

It won't help me raise that baseline level, even at a slow rate?

Chronic exercise affects neural protein expression and function, including that of plasma membrane receptor proteins. Changes in synaptic neurotransmitter concentrations is really just a transient effect of acute exercise.

Also, what then could help raise it?
Assuming "it" refers to synaptic neurotransmitter concentrations: drugs.

If it's been 7 months since you took MDMA you most likely are back to baseline serotonin concentrations - MDMA may deplete monoamines but it doesn't stop the body from producing more, assuming you get enough dietary protein.

If it's been 7 months since you took MDMA you most likely are back to baseline serotonin concentrations - MDMA may deplete monoamines but it doesn't stop the body from producing more, assuming you get enough dietary protein.

Any explanation is to why I still feel weird? Neurotoxicity?

"Feeling weird" is a pretty non-specific symptom... are you suffering any major defects in memory, reasoning, etc?

Generally you have to have some serious hyperthermia/dehydration before neurotoxicity will manifest on MDxx and DP/DR is not really indicative of neurotoxicity, it's a problem of mind not of brain if that makes any sense.

I had problems concentrating, short term memory, and yes reasoning too. Memory still isnt as good as what it used to be.

How much MDMA did you take and in what intervalls ? Also did you test it as in are you sure it was real MDMA ?

each pill was 240mg.. 1.5 first day, 1 second day, then 1.25 on the third day all with alcohol for the most part and not spaced out at all. It was a 3 day music fest. I'm not sure if it was real mdma or not but all my friends did double the amount I did and they are fine. They were the kind of pills that are pressed into a shape.

I had problems concentrating, short term memory, and yes reasoning too. Memory still isnt as good as what it used to be.
These symptoms aren't necessarily specific to serotonin nor neurotoxicity, as an example stress hormones can lead to a decrease in neurogenesis of the dentate gyrus (hippocampi) and this seems to be capable of causing depression among many other symptoms (the hippocampi are critically involved in memory et cetera).

MDMA use in a psychostimulating environment is known to vastly increase stress hormones, and binging for 3 days would ensure lots of stress hormone exposure. Exercise however is known to increase neurogenesis of the dentate gyrus. Hippocampal atrophy is a feature of chronic (typically 10+ years et cetera) major depressive disorder, and basically all anti-depressant therapies can reverse hippocampal atrophy.

However, as much as the increase in neurogenesis can help with xyz symptoms/deficits, the relation doesn't seem to be directly to serotonin. The principle cells in dentate gyrus use primarily glutamate as a neurotransmitter.

I suppose there is a reason why cardio is tried and true for adverse effects of MDMA abuse,
CY

Thanks CY

I'm trying to recover through methods that stimulate neurogenesis so I will keep doing so.

As far as stress I'm starting to take xanax so I'm more relaxed. I know xanax doesn't help stimulate neurogenesis, but do you think the decreased stress when I use it can aid in my recovery?

Daily use of benzos is not preferable with regards to addiction and impairment of REM sleep, but the stress relief I imagine is likely beneficial. Benzos are not known to be the best for cognition though.

The lowest dose necessary, used as least often as possible is recommended. If you are going to use benzos daily then longer acting benzos (which will help stabilize the levels of the drug in your system) are preferable to short acting ones.

Other less harmful/more beneficial drugs seem to be able to help with some people?s anxiety, such as some SSRIs. You can also manage stress and anxiety with mindfulness meditation and such, which has shown to be beneficial for cognition including memory.

CY