• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Still Hard on Day 6........Will it Ever End???

ClearFreedom

Greenlighter
:(
Starting on Day 6 for me and it's still so hard. Was on OxyContin for 6 1/2 years after a failed spinal fusion. Cut back to 2-3 10 mg oxycontin per day and stayed that way for over 6 months. So sick of being sick and not being able to take care of important life matters so I went CT. Pain management wanted me to take start taking OxyContin and do a taper but I had gone 4 days and said no. I'm not going back. The mental pain is the worst for me as I no longer get the mood elevation from the oxy. :X I started gabapentin 2 nights ago with one advil pm. I'm still awake. The lack of sleep is one of the worst parts for me. I was only able to eat on day 5. I took a valium on day 2 and day 4 for extreme anxiety. I have a lorazepam for the withdrawals but didn't take any. I also bought some Kratom but haven't used that either.

Yes it gets better man, it just takes time. The lack of the mood elevation was the hardest part for me.

I've had some pretty crappy events in my life that have triggered depression. Stopping oxy has triggered that depression again for me. Hope it doesn't last long. I'm also mad at the years of my life I've wasted and can never get back.

I can sympathize, it differs from person to person, hope it gets better for you soon man.

Godspeed

It took me almost a month for the fog to lift. It took 3 weeks for me to sleep without help. L tyrosine, vitamins, green superfood drink, and protein shakes helped with energy, and mood after the acute stage. Youre almost through the physical part, you got this, stay strong.

Took my gabapentin and advil pm and got some broken up sleep but my apatite I had yesterday is gone.

While you were taking them for a long time, you weren't on that high a dose, so maybe it won't last as long, or be as severe. No matter what, get something in ya, chicken noodle soup, broth, toast, pudding.... anything you can get down. Walk 1 block and back today(or further if you can), then 2 and back tomorrow, it really does help. Any type of exercise helps. A nice long walk, then a hot shower or bath afterwards, and you'll feel the difference.

Yes, I'll take a walk down the street and back but I'm handicapped after I had a nerve damaged during spinal fusion back in 2011. I lost the feeling in my right leg. Most of the feeling in my right leg came back but my right quad has permanent paratheseis and feels like it's asleep with pins and needles.

That sucks man, sorry to hear that about your leg. I'm not sure what exercises you can do, you probably do though. Do whatever you can. I check in every day quite a few times, if you've got any questions, don't hesitate.

Okay, I made it through the first week.........it's been 1 week and 6 hours. Yes, I'm still taking it hour by hour. I was up all last night with throbbing pain in my 4 small toes in my left foot. This was the pain I had in 2011 prior to my spinal fusion. It's still there but the oxy had covered up the pain for all those years. Now the question is can I live with the pain and have a clear---free mind? I slept all day off and on for about 10 hours. My sleep schedule is so off. How will I sleep at night? Taking Gabapentin and Advil PM.

I've never taken gabapentin, so i cant help there. I took .2mg of clonidine, and 3mg of melatonin for sleep. I got anywhere from 2-5hrs the first 2 week's after my short(3 day) sub taper, and i was grateful for that. I tried zzzquil, but that made my restless leg much worse, so i don't recommend that, or any antihistamine for that matter, because if they don't knock you out, they made matters worse for me. You're through the rough physical part now, so it's the fog, depressed, lethargic feeling that's left i assume? That lasted 2 more weeks for me, but everyday it got a little better. Tyrosine, vitamins, protein shakes, superfood drink mix really helped with that if you can get them. Music, comedy shows or movies also help lift the mood. As many hot showers, or baths that you want were also a godsend. You got this man, keep pushing through day by day. You'll see they go by quicker now. It really is a double edged sword though, we are sick of being ruled by these demons, but we're also in pain. I myself have 3 herniated discs in my lower back, and after stopping the meds found out both knees are shot, and didn't know it because of the meds. I lived with the back pain for 15yrs without meds, then decided to go on them, stayed on them for 4 years, but knew i was losing my soul. I'll live with the pain, but refuse to lose my soul. Stay strong!!

8 days and 8 hours...........OxyContin free but really having problems with my sleep and fatigue. No sleep at all last night so I took about 2mg of valium and slept about 3 hours this afternoon. The nights are so lonely. Took 200 mg of gabapentin around 8pm but it doesn't help with sleep IMHO. This sucks!!! I appreciate all the support and info here. I am doing the vitamins, hot showers and good quality food with protein drinks. Didn't exercise today because it does increase my pain. I'm mad at myself for taking valium. What's wrong with me???????????????????????????????????????????????/

Clear -

nothing is is wrong with you! Let’s put this in perspective - you are on day eight and you are having insomnia, that is really common. Sleep is often the last thing that comes back. Don’t beat yourself you for taking Valium to get through the night. A year from now, you will be happy you took anything to get you through it. You are progressing on your bodies time, it takes time to undo 6.5 years. Have patience. I know it’s hard, but, honestly you don’t have a lot of other options, not good ones anyway.

Also, don’t underestimate the power of lay8ng in a cool, dark room. Even if you aren’t sleeping. Listen to some music of meditation/breathing exercises.

Hang in there. You will turn a corner soon.

- VE

Thanks VE, You're right

I took benzos for 12 years after a bad life changing event and stopped taking them about 2 years ago. I don't want to back peddle and trade one addiction for the other, that's all. I feel disappointed in myself at the moment. I want to be stronger than I am.

It will get better. I promise. I did a taper two weeks ago and am on day 3 without anything. I've been taking Hydroxyzine I was prescribed years ago to help me sleep. It's an antihistamine basically so nothing habit forming but def helpful. Other than that, I tried Kratom and didn't like it but it did help some WD symptoms. But I'm trying to stay away from everything too. Don't stress the Valium. If I had access to it, I'd be taking it! One thing at a time. One day at a time. I've been through this more times than I'd like to admit but there is light at the end of this tunnel. You will feel better soon. And I will too, but it sure is a war right now. I lost over ten pounds in two weeks, and Im only a 130 lb girl to begin with. In the teens now ? finally forced a good bit of food today. Hang in there! Keep us posted!

It will get better. I promise. I did a taper two weeks ago and am on day 3 without anything. I've been taking Hydroxyzine I was prescribed years ago to help me sleep. It's an antihistamine basically so nothing habit forming but def helpful. Other than that, I tried Kratom and didn't like it but it did help some WD symptoms. But I'm trying to stay away from everything too. Don't stress the Valium. If I had access to it, I'd be taking it! One thing at a time. One day at a time. I've been through this more times than I'd like to admit but there is light at the end of this tunnel. You will feel better soon. And I will too, but it sure is a war right now. I lost over ten pounds in two weeks, and Im only a 130 lb girl to begin with. In the teens now  finally

forced a good bit of food today. Hang in there! Keep us posted!

I tried kratom once in the past but had a hard time getting it down, I bought some to have on hand if I need it. I took diazepam on day 2,4,8,11 for anxiety and am afraid of trading one addiction for another.