• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

Anxiety or serotonin syndrome?

mrmicktwz

Greenlighter
I need help in identifying if I had serotonin syndrome or just a severe anxiety comedown on mda/meth combo. I snort suboxone and did so on Monday night before I took 3 lines of mda. 5 hours later my heart sped up while I was sitting for a good hour and a half. I do have anxiety but this felt like an almost heart attack I was lightheaded and was feeling a constant brain zap and my wife rushed me to the hospital where they gave me Ativan to calm me down. The next day was still anxious ridden with fast heart and can't remember certain hours. Still brain zaps, midday rushed to er again with chest pains, rapid heart beat, shortness of breath, brain zaps and almost like my heart was stopping along with beating out of my chest. Another Ativan and they let me go. That night still lightheaded, head tightness when standing and not myself, vision wavey hallucinating. Stuck in my head and constantly googling what could be wrong with me.Saying goodbyes feeling impending death probably the worst moments of my life. On Wednesday I went to er one last time after similar symptoms again. Ativan and fluids and went home. I usually wouldn't have gone to the er but my mental state and paranoia had me not thinking straight. I've gotten better, yesterday had slight panic attacks crying and feeling like my brain was fried forever and depressed. But today I'm a lot less anxious, just lack of strength to do what I usually do but up until this morning I really thought I was dying. I can smile and have conversations again I'm just wondering if I had a mild case of seretonin syndrome. I had no appetite and just a dull feeling in stomach, twtching muscles and sharp pains in back but nothing that sent me to the ground. Any advice is appreciated, thank you.

Also meth puts me into panic attacks and I was unaware the mda had meth in it until I took blood test at hosp so take that into account. I've just never felt the last effects for 4/5days before.

Last edited:
Sounds like it just exaggerated your underlying anxiety. Serotonin syndrome comes with some serious symptoms and can be life threatening but anxiety can also cause some serious physical symptoms. All the things you have described could be put down to anxiety. It's a terrible affliction to suffer from. Anyway it sounds like your on the mend . Hope you feel better soon and try get some help for your anxiety.

You mentioned a MDA+Meth combo at first, but then you didn't say when/if you took the Meth.
Also, do you have any idea of the dosage.

The symptoms described do not sound like serotonin syndrome anyway, but more like you took too much serotoninergic stims.
Which explains the gaps in your memory, and the brain zaps.

Serotonin syndrome would have occurred when your serotonin levels are climbing too high or are at their highest peak. In other words, it would have happened before or on the peak of your trip/roll and not when the effects have faded away. In essence serotonin syndrome is a rising of released serotonin in the synaptic cleft to dangerously high levels. MDMA, usually in combination with for instance an MAOI, can cause this syndrome but only when serotonin levels are high so not at the end of the roll when they have dropped down again. All this to say that no, you most definitely didn't experience serotonin syndrome, it would have happened earlier on in the roll and you would have landed in the hospital possibly fighting for your life. It would not be just an elevated heart rate and some brain zaps, it would be much worse

I agree, I think what you experienced is rebound anxiety (look it up) which worsened your already existing anxiety, creating your symptoms. I never got any particularly noticeable side-effects both times I did MDA but IIRC it is supposed to have a much harsher hangover? If that is the case and MDMA can cause something like this then MDA most definitely can, even more so in combination with meth. Do you have any idea how much you took? I never snort my drugs so I actually don't have a clue how much 3 lines is and it also depends on the person laying the lines of course

Its been 6 months now. I developed a permanent heart complication, need to get sonogram done. On meds to lower blood pressure, also prescribed benzos (little benefit if any) and have been diagnosed with a couple of mental health problems. Since my brain feeling like it was going to explode for a long time, I'm very hyper aware of sensations in my body( could also be caused by my panic disorder). I lost my job, couldn't leave the house for a long while and now am very cautious about what goes in my body. Maybe one day I'll be back to myself.

Sorry to hear about your incident but how sure are you the substance was correctly identified as MDA/Meth?

Did you reagent test the product prior to consumption or you just ingested it being told it was MDA then realised it contained meth?

If you're ever having a bad day just go to my profile page and take a read of my about me section and the quote I have listed there.