• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

N-Benzyl-MDXX

Phobos

Bluelighter
I was reading a bit about benzphetamine (brand name Benzedrex) and I became curious to know if, as this compound is known to produce both amphetamine and methamphetamine as metabolites, its MDXX counterparts would behave in the same way.
In instance, would N-Benzyl-MDMA produce MDA and MDMA as metabolites?
Would it be an active substance as well or just a prodrug?

I am sorry if this does not have any sense for people with more biochemistry/pharmacology knowledge than me, if that's the case, I don't need the full reason to be posted, but I would really appreciate being given some keywords I could use to research some material.

Last edited:
https://erowid.org/library/books_online/pihkal/pihkal105.shtml

Compared to this MDDM, perhaps N-benzyl-MDMA might have a higher affinity for some CYP P450 enzymes. I would not really expect it to be a significantly active substance itself, and whether you can make a pro-drug this way depends on the exact kinetics which are unavailable - to me - for both these tertiary MDMA analogues as well as benzphetamine actually.

The major point seems to be that you need a large amount of material and the kinetics may be so slow that to get a worthwhile effect (unless you are going for some sort of MDMA / MDA microdosing effect) you just need too high dosages, the metabolites would be released gradually and there may be toxicity issues.
Also if the N-methyl is cleaved first, you would end up with much more MDA which may be fun but also more toxic and less therapeutic.

I don't think you should want a very long MDMA type experience, it seems like a bad plan and even if you could get a nice effect initially I think it would turn sour and the very long tail of the experience may range from bad to terrible. If you wanna get a pro-drug there should be different ones with much much quicker metabolic kinetics.

Perhaps like FLEA: https://erowid.org/library/books_online/pihkal/pihkal081.shtml

Dosage range for benzphetamine prescribed for weight loss is 75 to 150mg per day, and this is just to achieve significantly reduced appetite for sustainable reduction in weight, not the complete elimination of it that is tipical of even moderate recreational amphetamine and especially methamphetamine doses.

It would seem that the the addition of a N Benzyl group to amphetamines and methamphetamines makes for a rather inefficient prodrug.
Possibly one would need to titrate up to 500mg to reach a threshold effect? Who knows how much for a +++?
I can see how a researcher might give up trials before reaching activity.

I would be curious to perform GC/MS on blood samples taken at hourly intervals to see what the rate of conversion approximates to.
Maybe test urine as well to see if any is being excreted unchanged.