• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Suboxone expired

Jesusfreak1962

Greenlighter
I misplaced a box of suboxone a while back and I just recently come across it,but it's expired. Can it have lost it's potency since then? Or should I say can I still take it? Thanks.

how out of date? I have some ativan dated back from 2008 and it has lost it's punch but it still works. When it was new, I only took a half and now I need the full 1mg. Because it's out dated. I took an OLD prescription of something (don't remember what it was) to my Dr. because I wanted a re-fill and it was something like 5 years past the exp. date and he laughed and asked, "does it still work?" I said, "yeah, just have to up the dose." He said, "lets get you a new one, it won't hurt you, it just won't have the potency."

I misplaced a box of suboxone a while back and I just recently come across it,but it's expired. Can it have lost it's potency since then? Or should I say can I still take it? Thanks.

It might have lost its potency, sure, although if I were a betting man I would put my money on "give it a shot and see if you get a buzz". From a harm reduction perspective, if you are adamant in seeing if they still work, try breaking a pill in half and doing an allergy test with it, see if your body agrees or dislikes it.
Stay safe,
Tez

It depends both on how passed its expiration it is and how hot it was over that time period.

Generally they degrade slower in colder conditions.

Likely it'll still be at least somewhat effective, and it wouldn't be at all unusual of it were still almost impossible to tell apart from a nonexpired pack.

It's extremely unlikely that it poses any safety concern so id just try it and see how it goes.

I was painting a doctors house in 2010 & I found 11 sample blister packs of Oxycodone and it was dated EXP1996. I was sick & hadn't had any meds in about 36 hours. So, I tore the packs open & ate about 5 10mg tablets. Let's just say they're wasn't anything wrong with those pills even being dated that old, they hadn't lost any kick. As long as meds are kept in a controlled environment and temperature it'll be fine.

I was painting a doctors house in 2010 & I found 11 sample blister packs of Oxycodone and it was dated EXP1996. I was sick & hadn't had any meds in about 36 hours. So, I tore the packs open & ate about 5 10mg tablets. Let's just say they're wasn't anything wrong with those pills even being dated that old, they hadn't lost any kick. As long as meds are kept in a controlled environment and temperature it'll be fine.

They have to be pretty old. It was my understanding run at sample packs of oxycodone haven't been manufactured for use in the USA for a long time now.

Considering the fact that I ate a pop tart this morning that had probably been sitting on my desk for 5 days, this wouldn't be a major departure for myself. As a rule of thumb, drugs will take a long-time to degrade and in the event that they do degrade, this most often translates into a reduced potency. It's unlikely that the drug will become dangerous or toxic simply from sitting. I'm not saying it cannot happen, but it's unlikely.

Most drugs do not "expire" like doctors tell you they do. They will however lose potency over time but the reason they tell you that the drugs will expire is so that you will have to buy more. its all about the $$$. Hope that helps, be safe!

Most drugs do not "expire" like doctors tell you they do. They will however lose potency over time but the reason they tell you that the drugs will expire is so that you will have to buy more. its all about the $$$. Hope that helps, be safe!

That, and the above poster- have taken medication me long after expiration date, and as long as stored halfway properly in a house, they work years later, sometimes with no potency difference

Actually they tested morphine vials that were 100 years old, and they were still active(how they tested, not sure)