• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Stimulates, and psychedelics association with seizure threshold

lookyboop

Bluelighter
Hey guys,

I understand pretty much all of the people on here don't have very much medical experience, and can not give much credible medical advice other than personal experience, and/or anecdote. That being said... About a year ago I was experiencing some full bodied seizures. For a few years, 2 or 3 times a year, I would experience full-bodied convulsions. These weren't just some ticks, I would fall to the ground, and seizure on the floor, with no control of my body. I was however slightly conscious, enough to know what was happening, but not enough to control my body, kind of like sleep paralysis.
After being scared enough, I went to a neurologist. With no history of any seizures throughout my family, and with the top notch insurance I had, at the time, they gave me the whole nine yards. First a standard eeg, which showed nothing. Next a cat scan, once again, nothing out of the ordinary. The they gave me an mri, same results. Finally they hooked me up to 72 hour eeg machine I had to carry around with me for the next 3 days, and still nothing. After this year or so of testing, my seizures kind of just stopped, and we just gave up.
To this day, however, I still wonder why that happened. The doctors wrote it off as me abusing alcohol, but from my knowledge, you get seizures from withdawijg from alcohol, however a lot of the times I was having a seizure, I had been drinking, so I couldn't have been withdrawing.
I hVent had a seizure in couple years now, but it still worries me why it happened in the first place, and whether or not I'll have a problem with it in the future. The reason I decided to write this thread, is because i read that studied have shown stimulants, Nd psychedelics can raise the seizure thresholds for epileptic patients. Does abusing recreational drugs just give people epilepsy seizures, or can the stimulus of partying hard give a healthy person a seizure too?

Sorry for the long post, please share your thoughts, if you read thru the end, and thank you

Hmm... I can't help very much. But through my extensive (excessive) drug use of all kinds, I didn't find any of your listed drugs that caused me seizures.

However in my near decade long addiction to kratom I began to have regular seizures. They stopped once I stopped kratom use. I had a good 50 or so seizures anyway, and none seem influenced by my use of tryptamines, phenethylamines, dissociatives, or stimulants (all of which I have tons of experience with). It was just taking way too much kratom way too often (a kg in a week myself for well over a year) that related to when I seized. Other drugs didn't seem to matter, even if I was compulsively re-dosing methylone, 4-fa, adderall, or various tryptamines,
phenethylamines, or dissociatives a day or two straight.

I never noticed any when abusing etizolam/xanax/various benzos. But benzos are used medicinally to treat seizures, so I wouldn't expect this to be problematic.

I would look into the ketogenic diet for treating seizures, if you are worried about having more. Any drugs that doctors give you will never actually treat the problem, they just prevent the seizures (they treat symptoms, not the root problem). The diet for 6 to 12 months will potentially fix them, for a reported average 10-15 years, if not forever (since people not having another seizure rarely report in again). Good luck!

Last edited:
Alcohol will induce seizures in sensitive people, or so a neurologist told me.

It is my experience that stimulants and psychedelics will induce a seizure only when their use coincides with sleep deprivation/dehydration/caloric deprivation/physical exhaustion.

Also epic single doses (but still significantly lower than proper overdoses) of stims might induce a seizure.