• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Preventing respiratory depression with CPAP machines

HepcatB

Greenlighter
Could the use of a CPAP machine (the type of machine sleep apnea sufferers use) prevent hypoventilation in certain overdoses such as opioid overdoses? Since respiratory depression causes the patient to stop breathing (apnea), would the pressure from the CPAP be enough to prevent respiratory arrest? Would it lessen the chance of death if an opioid/opiate user wore a facemask and used a CPAP machine?

Could the use of a CPAP machine (the type of machine sleep apnea sufferers use) prevent hypoventilation in certain overdoses such as opioid overdoses? Since respiratory depression causes the patient to stop breathing (apnea), would the pressure from the CPAP be enough to prevent respiratory arrest? Would it lessen the chance of death if an opioid/opiate user wore a facemask and used a CPAP machine?

I honestly don't know how to respond to this. I would daresay it would not be worth the trouble to obtain and set up such a machine, and it would be much more handy and safe to take opiates with supervision(buddies) rather than alone, preferably buddies who can perform a tracheostomy or mechanical respiration and CPR under necessity. If unavailable I would suggest resting in the recovery/fetal position with your back cushioned against a wall to prevent autovomit suffocation.

Edit: You could consider obtaining some hyoscine(scopolamine) and/or atropine in tablet form and take a single dose along with your opiates, would help prevent nausea and and help blood circulation.

Stay safe,
Tez

Last edited:
The CPAP device will provide oxygen so I can see it being useful. However, it's not going to be beneficial once a person stops breathing from an overdose. It would be good to also have a naloxone kit on hand.

If your at the point of considering scopolamine or atropine or using a cpap its time to go to the er.

Im not saying they wouldnt work or even they wont just give you atropine iv but why risk death?

I used a CPAP for a few years and like another poster wrote, it won't help anyone who flat out stops breathing. However, if you're at a point less desparate than that, the machine will kind of keep you going. I mean sleep.apnea is where one actually stops breathing for sometimes long stretches. So if you're at a place where you are not breathing well, I think the machine may sort of keep you going but it's not.a long term recipe for success if you know what I mean.

Perhaps it may encourage you to take in a bit more oxygen, but it would not prevent death from an OD. Naloxone is the most effective way to prevent death from an opiate OD, and you should always carry it if you're using opiates of unknown potency or are otherwise at risk of an OD.

A CPAP or continuous positive airway pressure device pushes air in one direction and does it continuously. When a person loses systemic sufficiency and can no longer maintain central control of their diaphragm muscles to sustain a coordinated breathing effort then an intubation (via endotracheal tube/ a laryngeal mask) and mechanical ventilation machine or at least a person operating a respirator bag and mask if the airway is still patent. But the air pressure is intermittent and monitored by a person or specialized machine.

A CPAP should never be a first, second, third or twentieth line treatment for anyone, ever. That's 911 time.

A CPAP or continuous positive airway pressure device pushes air in one direction and does it continuously. When a person loses systemic sufficiency and can no longer maintain central control of their diaphragm muscles to sustain a coordinated breathing effort then an intubation (via endotracheal tube/ a laryngeal mask) and mechanical ventilation machine or at least a person operating a respirator bag and mask if the airway is still patent. But the air pressure is intermittent and monitored by a person or specialized machine.

A CPAP should never be a first, second, third or twentieth line treatment for anyone, ever. That's 911 time.

I agree. Anybody who has overdosed on opiates should call an ambulance right away because time is very much of the essence. The time wasted by attempting to reverse an OD with a CPAP machine could be fatal. I have heard no medical advice or even anecdotal evidence that would suggest that a CPAP machine would do anything to prevent death from an opiate OD. If you're going to carry something with you as first aid in case of a potential overdose, carrying naloxone would be a good idea. It has saved the lives of many people who wouldn't have been fortunate enough to make it to the hospital otherwise.

Thanks for the feedback. I have a CPAP machine, but I wasn't seriously thinking about using it to prevent respiratory depression, it was just a theory I had.

I have used a CPAP on overdose patients many times. They are. Extremely effectice in treating pulmonary edema. That being said, Naloxone was given to EVERY one of those patients prior to even considering CPAP or not. Non cardiogenic pulmonary edema seems to nearly aways be present in patients following Naloxone administration. CPAP is not a ventilator. It is not there to sustain respirations when your body is incapable of doing so. If you have slerp apnea I would definatly use it every night, opiates or not. Certainly dont rely on it as a "back up" in case you find yourself in respiratory arrest after opiate use though. Its hard to anticipate an overdose, so as someone else mentioned try to have a friend with you while using and always have Narcan on hand. Once narcan is administered call EMS. Even if the victim responds to the narcan and appears to be "okay"... They need some aftercare and possible several more doses of narcan.

I don't think you're going to develop foam induced cancer in the short period of use when trying to maintain O2 sats during an overdose though.