• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

What biological things in the body can cause anxiety?

trainman04

Bluelighter
So we know high and low neurontransmitters can cause anxiety. We know hormone imbalances can cause anxiety.

What else can cause anxiety biologically?

overactive hypothalamus?
overactive adrenal glands?
overactive amygdala?
hyperthyroidism and hypothyroidism?
MAO mutations?
SERT/DAT/NET mutations?
fried central nervous system?
high blood pressure?
mthfr mutations
LOW COMT
LOW autoreceptors activity

what else am I missing?

Last edited:
I'd say lifestyle/environmental factors probably play a bigger role in inducing anxiety than any internal/genetic reason, after all modern adult life is full of quite a few stressors, if you don't have activities to counterbalance the stress of modern life like hobbies/sports etc then you'll feel like crap for sure... also diet (vitamin/macronutrient deficiencies) and sleep cycle/SAD play a major role.

I'd say lifestyle/environmental factors probably play a bigger role in inducing anxiety than any internal/genetic reason, after all modern adult life is full of quite a few stressors, if you don't have activities to counterbalance the stress of modern life like hobbies/sports etc then you'll feel like crap for sure... also diet (vitamin/macronutrient deficiencies) and sleep cycle/SAD play a major role.

Yeah I would make sure to stock up on 5htp/tyrosine alongside proper daily nutrition(mainly B vitamins + minerals) and try some diazepam/etizolam/pyrazolam if the former option does not suffice

It's my understanding that the "stress hormone" cortisol, which is meant to help regulate anxiety (as in the flight-or-fight response), can actually CAUSE anxiety when the levels spike too high. This usually seems to occur in the morning, which is probably why I always wake up feeling startled and agitated.

People tend to not like lifestyle answers, but I've always found the problem is usually right in front of you:

I know when I'm sitting calmly, busting out witty yet insightful prose to calm the anxious drug users of the internet, and a sense of impending doom overtakes me, with a cold sweat, legs suddenly shaky--I check my blood sugar. Actually I usually just run for a bunch of Smarties and don't bother checking. When I do, it'll be around 50 g/dL. So low blood sugar is definitely a cause of anxiety, or probably more accurately, rapidly falling blood sugar (if it's slow it's more like drifting into a blissful dreamlike state, and you just . . . stop). That anxiety is from adrenaline released to force sugar out of your liver.

That can be reactive too, so that hyperinsulinemia after a meal triggers a sudden drop in sugar, even though you just ate. I used to feel that like ten minutes after some meals--the will to live just draining out of me. That was twenty years ago when I still made insulin.

High sugar is not as bad, but still anxiety-provoking. I figure that might be the acidosis that goes with it, since low blood pH is a potent trigger for anxiety. High blood sugar is obv. more chronic and easy to miss. General discomfort, a feeling like you're not quite getting enough air, a little agitated, annoyed, confused, and mild anxiety. You're tired but antsy, want to get out but also to just lay down.

It can come on a couple hours after you eat, so "simply eating" could be missed as a factor pretty easily. If you fast for bloodwork, it might not show up if you're in early diabetes stages or don't regularly eat big meals. In other words, I knew something was wrong, and adjusted my diet, and even though it turned out I'd been diabetic for years, I wouldn't have shown high fasting glucose. I needed some ice cream and a meter (up to 400mg/dL) to convince myself and the doc to get an A1C.

I'd like to point out I developed diabetes as a skinny, active teenager, saw it through a big weight gain in my twenties, back down to a skinny guy now. You don't need to be even overweight to get it.

All it takes to find out is your doctor taking an A1C measure, just a blood draw. It measures glycosylated hemoglobin. Blood glucose in its linear aldehyde form reacts randomly (as aldehydes do) to hemoglobin, and since the life of an RBC is about eight weeks, it serves as a kind of average blood sugar level.

It may not apply to you OP, but folks should know there are all kinds of sources of depression and anxiety that have nothing to do with monoamine brain receptor expression.

It's my understanding that the "stress hormone" cortisol, which is meant to help regulate anxiety (as in the flight-or-fight response), can actually CAUSE anxiety when the levels spike too high. This usually seems to occur in the morning, which is probably why I always wake up feeling startled and agitated.
yeah the cortisol hormone. Also progesterone if its low since progesterone increases GABA low amounts of progesterone will make you gaba deficent .

Vasopressin is anxiogenic as well as lack of oxytocin or deltorphin, you might consider

how do you block cortisol?

how do you block cortisol?

I don't think there's any approved medication that does this without preventing the production of testosterone/estrogen too, at the same time. Having one's corticoid system blocked would be really dangerous if you accidentally get into some kind of stress situation like get a large wound or fracture (your body needs to produce cortisol to be able to withstand that kind of things).

If someone takes a large dose of cortisol or its derivatives in tablet form, it's not the most likely outcome that it causes anxiety. Usually it causes mood changes (depression/hypomania) similar to bipolar disorder.

I don't think there's any approved medication that does this without preventing the production of testosterone/estrogen too, at the same time. Having one's corticoid system blocked would be really dangerous if you accidentally get into some kind of stress situation like get a large wound or fracture (your body needs to produce cortisol to be able to withstand that kind of things).

If someone takes a large dose of cortisol or its derivatives in tablet form, it's not the most likely outcome that it causes anxiety. Usually it causes mood changes (depression/hypomania) similar to bipolar disorder.
what you mean having one's corticoid system blocked? how many are there?

I was thinking of blocking CRF1 . Theres a drug called astressin B ever heard of it? it blocks CRH. would that be dangerous to use for me? because its being made and people are using it for hair loss.. Apparantly overactive CRH causes baldness and so they made a spray with astressin B that blocks CRH.

Antalarmin showed some beneficial effects for some neuropsychiatric diseases but there are always possible side effects, sometimes guaranteed side effects that are dose-dependent. I wouldn't be surprised if issues with hypoglycemia could arise if CRH receptors are blocked sufficiently.

A spray used locally on the hair follicles is different from an oral form meant to reach the CNS

Antalarmin showed some beneficial effects for some neuropsychiatric diseases but there are always possible side effects, sometimes guaranteed side effects that are dose-dependent. I wouldn't be surprised if issues with hypoglycemia could arise if CRH receptors are blocked sufficiently.

A spray used locally on the hair follicles is different from an oral form meant to reach the CNS
Surely the makers of the product thought of that? I always heard that topical administration is always better since it doesent have to go trough the stomach acid + liver.
I just want it to block the CRH.. worth a try.

LSD is supposed to lower cortisol during the following period of tolerance / 5-HT2A downregulation right?

I would say that LSD can be helpful for depressive pathology and treatment of depressive pathology can result in better regulation of cortisol levels/receptor sensitivity, as ultimately a big issue in MDD is sensitivity of cortisol receptors and homeostatic feedback loops

As the hippocampi grow weaker and weaker with MDD/chronic stress, their ability to participate in an inhibitory feedback loop with stress hormones decreases

As far as 5-HT2A is concerned, 5-HT2A in the paraventricular nucleus doesn't seem to be mediating the increase in cortisol in animals given DOI because a 5-HT2A antagonist given into the paraventricular nucleus doesn't block the increase in cortisol. One assumption could then be that 5-HT2A in the paraventricular nucleus isn't a big driver of cortisol release, and downregulation of that population of 5-HT2A may not be expected to lower cortisol that much

CY

Surely the makers of the product thought of that? I always heard that topical administration is always better since it doesent have to go trough the stomach acid + liver.
I just want it to block the CRH.. worth a try.
I'm sure the makers thought of that - are you assuming they're making the claim that it works by going systemic? Lots of things just aren't absorbed very well topically

I'm sure the makers thought of that - are you assuming they're making the claim that it works by going systemic? Lots of things just aren't absorbed very well topically
I mean progesterone cream is used topically. why cant this? Idk . I will just have to try it out and see. I think you are supposed to spray it in your hair follicles 10 times once a day . I think I read there are even receptors in the hair that can absorb stuff into the body.

The hair is 100% dead keratin, it has no ability to transfer compounds into the blood as the hair itself has no blood supply, just the hair follicles in the skin.

The hair is 100% dead keratin, it has no ability to transfer compounds into the blood as the hair itself has no blood supply, just the hair follicles in the skin.
so just put it on the thinning areas of the scalp? How does the skin absorb stuff it has no blood either on the outside?

Generally speaking you need to have very high fat solubility of compounds for them to be appreciably absorbed transdermally, there have been transdermal formulations of testosterone, methylphenidate, and fentanyl for instance. But in all those cases the total amount of drug absorbed is lesser and the pharmacokinetics are much slower than e.g. oral or sublingual or IM/IV administration.

When applied transdermally, compounds have to penetrate the dead outer layer of skin cells and also the cell walls of the living skin underneath before it can diffuse into the capillaries that supply blood to the skin. There are a bunch of things that can effect the amoutn absorbed; from location of application to the ethnicity of the individual to whether any adjuvants are added to modify drug absorbtion.[ref]

Astressin B, being a high molecular weight peptide, is probably not absorbed into systemic circulation from topical usage; e.g. if you put it on your scalp it won't end up in your bloodstream going to your brain.