• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Valium vs Temazepam? Recreational and sleep without grogginess?

BennyZoMGS

Greenlighter
Okay, so I basically take valium a 5 during the morning a 5 during the mid day and then a 10 of diazepam the blue ones (in Canada) at night for sleep. I still seem to wake up at night though.. My doctor for anxiety during the day refuses to give me xanax and i've had clonazepam but it just doesn't really do anything for me valium seemed to be great. I've heard great stuff about temazepam so I see my psych I'm going aask him to trade in my 10 diazepam at night for temazepam TABLETS.

question is how much should I ask him for... I know they come in 10's 15's 20' and 30's or 25's if you split a ten in half so that's applicable. what do you guys think I should go for the valiums work great for anxiety but i heard that temazepam makes u feel great and its good hypnotic but what mg should i ask for with out him thinking I'm taking em recreationally also... I like to feel zoned watching my last show before i go to sleep and then to stay asleep Diazepam the 10 doesn't do that any more it's more like i lay down falll asleep without remembering it but wake up again. SO yeah how much milligrams for a great time from what I WAS taking to a good sleep without feeling groggy?

please and thank you.

Temazepam equivalency is pretty even, potency a bit lower than diazepam. Ten mg diazepam being roughly equivalent to 10-20 mg temazepam, at least according to Medscape.

BUT, temazepam is slower, and wears off a lot faster. So I don't really see the benefit if you've already got a valid diazepam script.

The shorter-acting ones tend to be more habit-forming. I'd guess that, since they wear off faster, they'd also be more likely to leave you feeling less-than-optimal in the morning.

Temazepam works great for me personally. I take it infrequently as Ive heard it builds tolerance quicker than other benzos. I takr the 30mg but i dont use it often at all. It sounds like you plan to use it every night which isnt a good idea but if you do you should start as low as possible and hope your tolerance doesnt skyrocket.

Temazepam equivalency is pretty even, potency a bit lower than diazepam. Ten mg diazepam being roughly equivalent to 10-20 mg temazepam, at least according to Medscape.

BUT, temazepam is slower, and wears off a lot faster. So I don't really see the benefit if you've already got a valid diazepam script.

The shorter-acting ones tend to be more habit-forming. I'd guess that, since they wear off faster, they'd also be more likely to leave you feeling less-than-optimal in the morning.

Temazepams hypnoic effects last longer than dzp's. You would need to trade in for the 15mg, to be safe.(It varies as Scrofula said, though for pure bend effects it can take 15-20mg, and it is a bit slower acting, intermediate benzodiazepine, generally) If it is just for hypnotic effects temazepam tends to be better in that regard at equivalent doses(slightly)

Valium can build up with chronic use, though mainly it would be the metabolite nordazepam, and those doses, shouldn't play much of a role, as dzp is 1.5-2x as potent as nordazepam, which is the primary metabolite

This is a good site for Benzo information. If you look at bullet point 5 you'll see relevant half lives of various Benzo's. Usually the longer the half life the less addictive or moreish they are.

Hope this helps.

https://www.benzo.org.uk/FAQ1.1.htm#5

yeah I went to my pharmacist today I'm on 30mg's of metahdone and going down, usually when I"m giving a medication I don't really look for a buzz just maybe at the start if it wears off as long as it does its main job which is the hypnotic part of temazepam I'm looking for I'm good. you all need to remember I will still be taking my valiums during the day the 5 and 5 (one in the morning then one in the day-time/evening for my panic attacks). The pharmacist had told me here they don't sell the tablets only the capsules which is 15mg and 30 mg and he said approximately 15mg of temazepam is equivalent to 5 mg of diazepam he said BUT the difference is for sleep diazepam does not have the crucial Hypnotic effects that Temazepam is aimed for which is to get you to sleep or insomnia which is what I want to use it for. so I would be asking my doc to change 10mg's of valium before bed after already taking 10 in the day for a 30 mg of temazepam. He even said you can open the capsule up and split it in half if you find it too drawsy for you and that they sell capsules everywhere or you can just take it in powdered form (the half of the capsule powder) because it's not time released though its in a capsule. cause right now I'm on 20 mgs of diazepam. the 10mgs it puts me to sleep but i get up atleast 2 or 3 times at night after. I heard temazepam feels great at first and will get you your 8-10hours of sleep and not feel groggy in the morning.

Everyone?s different though no way 5mg dzp = 15mg temazepam.

Scrufula is right, even w/ chronic use it is more like 15-20mg Temaz roughly equivalent to 10mg dzp

Everything else makes sense though, it?s written as a sedative/hypnotic for a reason.

And rather have 30mg temazepam for sleep, then 5-10mg dzp

Just don?t always take the max dose, like vary it from 7.5-15mg(after tester dose, titration and all) or 15mg, occasionally 30mg(30mg could be surprisingly strong/hypnotic compared to 5mg Valium BID) and try to rotate sleep meds, like unisom(Doxlyamine(succinate) and even occasionally nothing if you can, and they should pretty much maintain effectiveness and can even get that ?zoned? feeling you mentioned occasionally

Just take like half the powder first, w/ the 30mg, at least

Just a little comment. I was prescribed both Valium and Temazepam for a while. I didn't find Temazepam that good after a short while of usage. One possible reason is the fact that Temazepam is a metabolite of Valium. Your mileage may vary.

I take valium for sleep most nights but after a week or so they tend to lose the hypnotic effect so I'll switch to promethezine or mirtazipine for a while until my tolerance is back to something like baseline. I don't know where you are but in the U.K promethezine is o.t.c. and I find it a very effective sleep aid.

I have Hydroxyzine and Promethazine. They work well, but I don?t care for the side effects, how little they may be.

Now Ambien works great!

^What side effects Hydroxyzine if you don?t mind? It isn?t significantly anti-cholinergic and is a major reason that like it.

It?s primary metabolite, however, Cetirizine can build up, and it is long lasting, and although it is a 2nd gen antihistamine at larger doses it can(or probably will) have some CNS activity, and is probably(based on my understanding) more likely, or just as likely to cause side effects than Hydroxyzine itself

Hydroxyzine's lack of cholinergic effects alone makes me angry it's not OTC. All the dry-mouth red-eyed trippy feeling of dph comes from the anti-cholinergic side effects, not the anti-histamine.

But then again it's anti-HT2a. Either way, not going to ask a a doctor for it. If I want to sleep I use less meth. Works every time.

Lorne, I'm missing something on how Zyrtec can produce more side effects than hydroxyzine.

It's well known and easily researched both on this website and on numerous more 'official' pages defining medication that temazepam is extremely habit forming and will cause dependence when taken routinely for peroids lasting more than 5 days. This is pretty serious territory if you're talking about seriously using something to be able to sleep each night. If you can keep with valium simultaneously that might help with keeping your doses lower, but you definitely want to begin by splitting a yellow Mylan 30 and taking only 10 of 15 mg of the powder the first few times. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with how effective it is for sleep. It wears off quickly though - 4 hours and you could be awake again, depending on the causes for your insomnia. combining with low dose valium could be beneficial in this area since it lasts a little while longer and could be enough to keep you asleep longer. Just don't get strung out on either of these cuz they will fiddle hard with you sleeping sober days on

Yup, shorter-duration benzos are linked to higher rates of dependence. And I haven't looked, but probably especially when they're taken PRN for anxiety (eventually everything is a trigger for anxiety) rather than just for sleep.

So I think OP got as much as he could hope for.

And then, after Martin Luther King's dream, he woke up and felt groggy. Was it the benzos he took to sleep? Would the Montgomery Bus Boycott have been as successful if folks were too groggy to walk to work? Which benzo did they use to sleep?

I don't know, you tell me . . .

[reopened]