• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Is drug dealing unethical/immoral?

have you heard the cartel? they are they ultimate drug dealers, the kind of people who will cut off your whole families heads and display bodies in public even have done it to innocent people by accident.

Exactly. The people in power could stop it any time. But they don't because of selfish politics. This is on them.

Then again, there's lots of other drug trades where whole towns don't get slaughtered. Drug laws didn't make these cartels violent to the point of putting dismembered bodies on display from overpasses in time for rush hour.

During prohibition the US had Al Capone shit going on, tommy guns spraying crowds. Then Nixon started the drug war to lock up non-whites and college kids (aka Democrats), but there was no rise in machine-gunned crowds. Yeah SWAT raids and drive-by's, but not Gangland stuff like before.

Look you can blame the laws for some of the violence in the drug trade. But the violence still happens, and you participate if you participate in that market, voluntarily and unnecessarily. Don't rationalize away the tiny bit of complicity.

I will never claim any form of morality for myself, I'm far beyond that point. Gangland violence is very much alive in many parts of the country however, and it is almost always drug related.

Then again, there's lots of other drug trades where whole towns don't get slaughtered. Drug laws didn't make these cartels violent to the point of putting dismembered bodies on display from overpasses in time for rush hour.

During prohibition the US had Al Capone shit going on, tommy guns spraying crowds. Then Nixon started the drug war to lock up non-whites and college kids (aka Democrats), but there was no rise in machine-gunned crowds. Yeah SWAT raids and drive-by's, but not Gangland stuff like before.

Look you can blame the laws for some of the violence in the drug trade. But the violence still happens, and you participate if you participate in that market, voluntarily and unnecessarily. Don't rationalize away the tiny bit of complicity.

Are we a tiny bit complicit? Sure.

But in the big picture we are seriously little fish here. So long as there is prohibition, gangs will take the available market instead. And that will result in violence to varying extents. The only people with the actual ability to stop it is the politicians in charge. So their culpability blows pretty much everyone else out of the water.

Okay, whatever.. No it isn't. Just like fighting isn't lacking morals, killing would be at some level but then you ask yourself when. =/

I don't know. To me it's like asking if it's bad to sell bullets to gun owners..

Depends on the drug. Heroin dealers etc drugs that destory the persons live and hooks them to make a quick buck from them is immoral. Coke dealing is probably the highest level of immoral the amount of blood shed in south america over cocaine means consumers and dealers shoulder some blame for the death of millions of innocents to fuel their drug use.

Depends on the drug. Heroin dealers etc drugs that destory the persons live and hooks them to make a quick buck from them is immoral. Coke dealing is probably the highest level of immoral the amount of blood shed in south america over cocaine means consumers and dealers shoulder some blame for the death of millions of innocents to fuel their drug use.

I gotta disagree, at least to a degree. I don't think dealing heroin is innately immoral. I might say that selling or providing heroin to someone who's not already a user of it is immoral. I generally wouldn't do it, and most people I've known have similar feelings.

But providing it to people who are already heroin users? Nah, I don't see how that's innately immoral.

The responsibility for the harms of drug addiction the way I see it, are in two places. First is us, the individual addicts. And the second is governments and by extension the wider community. Who could easily take steps to significantly reduce the worst of the harm, but fail to do so and in fact act to increase harm.

But regardless of anything else, we hold responsibility for the consequence of our using.

There's no question that many involved in the drug trade are part of unquestionably immoral and harmful activities. But that's separate to the actual activity of dealing.

A large number of the dealers I've had were dealing to support their own habits. Not all, but many.

Just my take on it anyway. I don't blame the drug for my immoral or criminal actions. I don't blame my dealers. I blame myself first, for my actions specifically, and I blame wider society and government second, for the broader harms to and by the using community at large.

I've never met a professional drug pusher (except maybe some doctors) so I find the idea that drug dealers ensnare the innocent a bit laughable. Where I live finding a drug dealer is like trying to access national secrets and they provide their services only to the already truly committed.

However, what is immoral or unethical is sellling drugs that you know to be impure, adulterated or otherwise dangerous. Fortunately, the people I mostly deal with value their professional reputations for quality.

It's entirely dependent on context. The act of selling drugs in itself is neither moral or immoral. It is providing a service which is desired by many consenting adults. People like drugs, and are going to seek them out. Someone has to provide them. It's the specifics of how one goes about it that determines whether morality is involved. For example, if someone specifically seeks to entice children with addictive drugs in order to produce a reliable addicted customer base, I would certainly call that immoral. On the other hand, if someone risks their freedom to produce and/or distribute LSD specifically because it had a profoundly positive impact on their life, and their goal is to facilitate that possibility for other individuals, then I might call that person's actions specifically moral. Furthermore, if someone is looking to make some profit, and sells drugs to consenting adults in a non-predatory way, then their actions are neither moral nor immoral, as you would say someone going to their job is neither moral nor immoral, but just them providing something desired by others in exchange for payment.

For example, if someone specifically seeks to entice children with addictive drugs in order to produce a reliable addicted customer base, I would certainly call that immoral.

That I think most everyone can agree on, but uhh, do any of them exist?

God I wish my dealers had been happily giving me free drugs to get me addicted, but nooooo, for some reason they couldn't see the logic in that and wanted me to pay for them. They were also generally very paranoid people. Not inclined to announce that they were selling drugs to any random passerby. :)

When I first tried drugs, I wanted to try drugs. Nobody made me, nobody tricked me. I first took heroin in full knowledge of its reputation. And I wasn't even one of those people who thought "it'll never happen to me", at the time I simply didn't care what happened to me one way or the other. There were certainly repercussions I wasn't thinking of. And I did do things that if I had been thinking about it at the time, I would have honestly believed that I never would do but nobody is responsible for that but me.

Which is why I don't think dealing drugs is immoral. Because looking back, I truly can't find anything that happened because of my addiction that I could honestly say was anyone else's direct fault but my own.

i cringed pretty hardcore, i'm so glad my phone is broken.

That's something I hadn't considered. Usually my problem was that my dealers were always fucking late or off reuping and were never in the fucking area. Ugh, all the times sitting in cars sick for hours while they fucked around.... "I'll be there in an hour" *hour later* "be there in half an hour" *hour later* "be there in 15 minutes“ *hour later*" I'm right around the corner" *hour later*

I haven't had that kind of excessive unsolicited offer. I have had some dealers offer me better deals if I hadn't been seeing them in a while though.

Thinking about it more now though, I can see some specific behaviors of some dealers that you could argue are morally questionable. But that's still not that dealing in itself is morally wrong.

My example was purposely extreme, I was trying to illustrate my point with the middle and the extreme ends to cover the spectrum. A more realistic and common example of immorality in drug dealing is using violence, ie, cartels, gangs. Or lacing heroin with fentanyl to increase profit at the expense of the safety of customers.

That's something I hadn't considered. Usually my problem was that my dealers were always fucking late or off reuping and were never in the fucking area. Ugh, all the times sitting in cars sick for hours while they fucked around.... "I'll be there in an hour" *hour later* "be there in half an hour" *hour later* "be there in 15 minutes“ *hour later*" I'm right around the corner" *hour later*

I haven't had that kind of excessive unsolicited offer. I have had some dealers offer me better deals if I hadn't been seeing them in a while though.

Thinking about it more now though, I can see some specific behaviors of some dealers that you could argue are morally questionable. But that's still not that dealing in itself is morally wrong.
^ precisely, but i have no time for bs and when it comes to my substances, i make it very clear from the start, anytime my coke plugs late, i can expect a few grams extra, and nothing ever needs to be said about it either which i appreciate but expect, when someone decides they want to be late to make money, there's 100 people that can take their place that'll be more than happy to accommodate you on time, trust me ;) but the fact of constantly being told 'hey we've got __' or 'come downstairs,i'ma give you something since i'm over here anyways' can cpntribute to drug use so, give and take in the long run,ya' know?

Stay safe
~Zonxx

I appreciate when a dealer gives me a heads up about them getting new product in. I don't keep in daily contact with any of them, so knowing when they've got something I've been looking for is a positive to me. I find it more annoying to have to harass them to ensure they don't sell off all their product I've been seeking out before I can even get any.

Now, what's annoying is when they send you a list of what they've got, then you text back being like yo, I'll have this this and this, then they don't respond for two days and somehow don't expect that you've found someone else in the 48 hours they ghosted on you. That's usually when I delete them as a contact.

True. I was watching an episode of drugs inc. and some Central American dealers were arrested with heroin, coke, and pot and some police officer tried to claim that if someone smokes pot that people had to die in order for it to be smuggled into North America. But this is not true as a lot of people in North America grow it outdoors or inside their home, and now in lots of states and countries it is legal to grow pot.

I appreciate when a dealer gives me a heads up about them getting new product in. I don't keep in daily contact with any of them, so knowing when they've got something I've been looking for is a positive to me. I find it more annoying to have to harass them to ensure they don't sell off all their product I've been seeking out before I can even get any.

Now, what's annoying is when they send you a list of what they've got, then you text back being like yo, I'll have this this and this, then they don't respond for two days and somehow don't expect that you've found someone else in the 48 hours they ghosted on you. That's usually when I delete them as a contact.
I do not use any drugs now except for caffeine, but as someone from the end of Gen X I would and have never texted dealers via mobile phone about using or buying drugs, etc. and later when chat programs and internet chatting came around, as well as email I never discussed buying or using drugs via email or instant message.

I have seen way too many people get busted by police this way, and they would also add in charges of the person buying or selling drugs via a communication network, as well as posession, and this would add onto the jail or prison sentence.