• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Is drug dealing unethical/immoral?

Narco --> sleep. Like narcolepsy. A narcotic puts you to sleep. You know, like weed and meth. I bet it started with the victorian brits and their opium dens everywhere. It is a stupid word, since the best narcotic is OTC Benadryl, to help after my narcotic meth bender.

But for image, as the train hops a track, you have to love safe and effective for children d-amphetamine sulphate, so they'll stay in school and not get hooked on the evil, soul-rotting crystal meth. Two industries with a lot of money at stake maintaining those two images.

adderall.jpg

faces_of_meth.jpg

In some contexts narcotic simply means illicit drug. This is a more recent usage.

The original medical usage was pretty much any sleep/stupor inducing drug. I think the root word 'narko' is from ancient Greek and means something like 'numbifing'. Anyways like you I thought narcotics were definitively sedatives/downers but in an argument with someone discovered often these days narcotic to many people means illegal drug.

The word originates from the Greek verb "narkoun" meaning "to make numb", evolved into old French "narcotique", adapted into English form "narcotic", meaning roughly "numbing agent"
Best,
Tez

Yes, originally narcotic meant sleep inducing. But things change.

Today, methamphetamine is routinely labeled a narcotic and sleeping inducing it most certainly is not.

Today, narcotic means "drug we don't like and think should be banned"

Yes, originally narcotic meant sleep inducing. But things change.

Today, methamphetamine is routinely labeled a narcotic and sleeping inducing it most certainly is not.

Today, narcotic means "drug we don't like and think should be banned"

Precisely its meaning, thank you.
Tez

Yeah, the etymology of opium is quite interesting.

Papaver somniferum implies sleep also, with the somni bit. Yet opiates can make sleep absolutely impossible.

I guess that they cause a stare that resembles sleep, though.
"Nodding" isn't sleep, but it mementarily looks and kinda feels like it.

The word "drug" has had several different meanings.
In Shakespeare's time, it referred to poison, not medicine or anything psychoactive. Poisonous plants like henbane.

"Drug" has become such a loaded term, with a lot of baggage.
Decades of extreme manipulation, and moralising.
The people who campaign against law reform and harm reduction frequently imply that the lives of those of us who consume drugs, in defiance of the law, are worth less than non-drug users.

When people suggest that programs to make drug use less dangerous, and less deadly (such as pill testing at festivals, or programs that allow people to mail substances to a lab for analysis) should be banned because they "send the wrong message" or whatever - the implication is that we deserve to die, because we use drugs that the state has banned.
It's a twisted kind of vulgar moralising, and stigmatising.
Government and law enforcement propaganda has been assaulting our culture with this shit for so long that many people just accept it as fact.
I'm always finding myself - without planning on doing it - correcting people who say (of someone who has done something terrible like a murder something deeply anti-social) "they were probably on drugs" .
It's a pet peeve of mine because i've used drugs since i was in my early teens, and it's not made me a dangerous or irrational psycho.

There are so many misconceptions, many of which have been deliberately cultuvated by tabloids and govt propaganda.
There are lots of terrible things about the drug industry, but i don't think there is anything good or bad, right or wrong about supplying, trafficking or trading in illegal drugs.

Last edited:
For those who've said that the War On Drugs isn't working :

It most certainly works for the parties concerned: legislators, the prison industry, how bout a suboxone doc charging $60,000 cash only Per month with a minimum 12-month commitment from a patient?
Oh trust me the WOD is workin out just fine for these ppl.

My opinion is that that act of buying and distributing illegal drugs is not bad per se, unless the dealer lies about the weight and composition of the substance he is selling.
I would also think that it would be bad to sell drugs to people that are too young to be taking them, although how young is too young is a very complex matter.

Many dealers don't or even can't know what they are selling. That could be called highly irresponsible.

Another question could be are dealers responsible for harm that befalls buyers of their product? In the 'straight' world they woukd be.

Many dealers don't or even can't know what they are selling. That could be called highly irresponsible.

Another question could be are dealers responsible for harm that befalls buyers of their product? In the 'straight' world they woukd be.

Dealers are not just those who sell to users, bigger dealers sell to smaller ones.
If everyone in the chain was honest about product composition the lowest level guys could know.

Regarding responsibility, a dealer is exchanging the possession of an agreed upon quantity of drugs with an agreed upon sum of money, and is not involved in anybody's decision to somehow ingest said drugs.
He is acting as a pharmacist on the legal side of the drug trade, and pharmacists are not the ones getting sued if someone gets hurt by a legally prescribed or OTC drug.

Just my 2c

Oh yes, pharmacists get sued. I needed personal liability insurance just to intern as a technician. Coverage, not in case I got sued, but to cover the costs of me having to give depositions when someone else got sued and I get dragged in. I have a feeling, that if a WalGreens fucks up someone's prescription and the survivors sue, and all the techs on shift that day have to testify in another state, WalGreens is not going to cover transportation, lodging, wages, and the personal lawyer you need separate from the corporate lawyer and the pharmacist's lawyer.

Lots of fucking lawyers, if I had a point.

Lol especially when you realize corporate has about 10 of them.

For those who've said that the War On Drugs isn't working :

It most certainly works for the parties concerned: legislators, the prison industry, how bout a suboxone doc charging $60,000 cash only Per month with a minimum 12-month commitment from a patient?
Oh trust me the WOD is workin out just fine for these ppl.

Not to mention the countless law enforcement departments that are funded by us (taxpayers) to surveil, investigate and hunt us down.
That's cops employed by states (in various countries), federal police, as well as other federally funded outfits like customs, as well as various coastguards and "border force" - a big militarised kind of fascist police organisation, modelled on the US DHS.
The intelligence organisations are also involved, with the CIA being long implicated in a fair bit of drug traffic themselves.

People make money off of mass incarceration of non-violent drug offenders - those who are shareholders of the companies that run these private prisons (of course they run at a profit).

Then there is assett forfiture.
Because drugs are illegal, they are expensive.
Most illegal drugs are incredibly cheap to produce, but the price is inflated by prohibition. Like alcohol prohibition in the US, the money greatly incentivised the trade.
Still today, the govt want people to make/distribute/smuggle large amounts of drugs, because they can cash in.

If drugs were legal and regulated, the danger and rebelliousness of drug use would fade away.
That's not what the state wants - they want people to gamble with their freedom, because regardless of what happens, the state wins.
They make huge amounts of money by confiscating assets and drug related income.

Some of these departments are entirely funded from forfeited drug money and assets.
There is no desire on behalf of the US government to stop the drug trade; that would be a disaster for them. It's too profitable.

This is one of the many reasons i believe that capitalism is organised crime.

That's just the financial side of things.

Socially, "the war on drugs" was focused on criminalising people. To begin with, in the days of Harry Anslinger, the targets included Mexican people (associated with 'marijuana' - the use of the 'foreign' sounding spanish name helped demonise 'loco weed') but also African American people who - in various subcultures, partook in various intoxicants that weren't the standard drugs of the anglo establishment.
Jazz music was linked to drugs (weed, cocaine, heroin) and a series of moral panics about black men raping white women because drugs made them do it. Typical paternalism + racism. "Black men raping our women!" (ie that's something only white men can do - donald fucking trump still uses this line, when he said that shit about mexican rapists, etc)

In the 19650s, 60s and 70s drug prohibition has been used a lot politically. The anti-war movment (especially in the US) was linked and associated with subcultures that used drugs like cannabis - and it was largely association with recreational and subcultural use of psychedelics that led to LSD and psilocybin being banned.
It was a good way of arresting and suppressing activists...

I could go on and on, but you get the point, i'm sure. Many of prohibition's "failings" are clearly not accidental.

Have any of you ever read dark alliance? It details the feds funding the contras, and the cia smuggling contraband into the us to fund them, and the distribution of crack cocaine in black communities. Then mounting a war on drugs targeting largely those same communities.

I think it's immoral, you're selling poison to the community and it's addictive so people can't stop. It hurts people, it even kills people.

Having said that, a lot of ppl get into dealing drugs coz of poverty to survive and they havn't really got much choice else. Or they are addicts themselves and they can't afford drugs without selling some. In these cases I think call for a bit more compassion and saying even though they acted immorally, they did so by coersion of social factors that affect a lot of ppl, and if you want to help the community the best way would be to solve the social problems in the community like poverty but also whatever else has brought them there, and have good quality easily accessible rehab services. Not to try to punish ppl who were just doing what they had to and have been punished enough anyway.

But then there are super rich ppl who maybe dont even use drugs, who acted immorally in selling poisons to a community just out of pure greed. I think those ppl need prison. They need the proceeds of their crime confiscated and used to help the communities that they've destroyed.

Last edited:
Oh yes, pharmacists get sued. I needed personal liability insurance just to intern as a technician. Coverage, not in case I got sued, but to cover the costs of me having to give depositions when someone else got sued and I get dragged in. I have a feeling, that if a WalGreens fucks up someone's prescription and the survivors sue, and all the techs on shift that day have to testify in another state, WalGreens is not going to cover transportation, lodging, wages, and the personal lawyer you need separate from the corporate lawyer and the pharmacist's lawyer.

Lots of fucking lawyers, if I had a point.

Good point, the pharmacist will need to prove that he gave correct drug and dosage and quantity, that stock is kept as it should etc.

When I said a pharmacist wouldn't be sued I meant when a bad side effect/toxicity/interaction/whatever is discovered after the drug has been approved by the FDA and sold and people got hurt.

Drug dealing is probably both justifyable and immoral at any scale.

Humans do immoral things and can justify doing them to continue to do it. This is just a prime example.

Drug dealing is probably both justifyable and immoral at any scale.

Humans do immoral things and can justify doing them to continue to do it. This is just a prime example.

Do you mean immoral at any scale as in selling drugs for profit can be defined bad without the lies, violence, scamming, corruption etc that come with the illegal nature of the drug trade, or that it's immoral as it is now.

To make an example, are the producers, barmans, and everyone else involved in distribution, sales and marketing of alcoholic beverages also immoral?

Selling cigarettes and alcohol is immoral for the same reasons.
But banning a substance that people depend on and that criminals can produce didn't work, just like the war on drugs doesn't work.
There needs to be a different approach, they should address the issues that lead ppl to injest poisons in the first place by helping them, not going against them to try and lock them away.
Its also immoral to take away the crutch someone uses to stand before you've built them a new leg.

Id think pharmaceutical companies withholding life saving drugs to control the supply or charging exorbitant prices no one can afford actually evil.

Ive come into contact with some very old Vietnamese patriarchs who were overseeing operations years ago. They thought of drug dealing as simply a means to an end. They thought their street peddling grandkids didnt use so they didnt care. They cared about the quality and dudnt alter it. Their grandkids did and didnt tell them.

I guess the higher up you go the quality has to be there so its not them tainting or cutting, its the street dealers. They would know its fucked but have habits to support.

I see the logic in your idea Libby, but I think humans have a strong instinct of seeking pleasure, and will always desire drugs no matter what. I mean I think it's not just humans, but all mammals that are in love with at least the straight pleasurable drugs as non psychedelic stims and opiates.