• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Tapering Hi. I'm new.. Could use some help

Cece716

Greenlighter
Hey, I am new to Bluelight. I have frequented the site off and on for questions regarding my addiction, But I am here now.. to get some help with tapering and then stopping altogether.

I have been on oxycodone 15-30 mg a day for about 4 years. I also drink.. anywhere from 2-4 beers a day and on weekends.. more like 4-6 a day. I have use the oxycodone (mainly percocet) for maintenance of pain.. It takes my pain away.. I dont feel sick and I have energy. I mainly take them but from time to time.. If i need a quicker fix or on the weekends when I wanna party a little.. I snort them.. I do very low doses at a time. I wont even take a full 10mg at once. I have anxiety.. and I am always so fearful of over doing it.. So. I am careful. If you can be a careful addict and alcoholic8( I guess that would be me lol Anyway, I have gone many times days at a time without oxycodone.. and I have almost immediate withdrawal. Within 12 hours. Stomach cramps.. heart racing.. flushing.. yawning.. sneezing.. itchy dry throat.. diarrhea.. aches in my legs and back.. sleeplessness.. It really sucks. After the first 24 hours things are a little better but then around day 4 them come back with a venegence. I really want to stop taking these dam pills. I am tired of it controlling my life. I am sick off and on at least 2 or 3 times a month. When i have no money or when everyone is dry. Like I said.. I drink as well but I want my perc before anything else. I seem to be able to leave the beer alone faster than i can leave the oxycodone alone.

I am trying to taper off both. I fear I have to taper somewhat off of alcohol because even though mentally I may not want it.. physically I am afraid of having withdrawal. I have only ever gone 3 straight days without some type of alcohol in the last 8 years.. before that I was off it for 2 and half years. So, I am trying to taper off percocet first.. and then taper off the beer. I never drink hard liquor. The only thing I ever sometimes drink besides beer is wine.

I recently got a hold of a 8mg suboxone and I broke into small pieces and I took it over the course of 5 days. It helped with withdrawal.. i couldnt sleep for shit but it really did help and I felt so good.. .thinking.. finally I am gonna get off these fxcking pills! But I ran out on Friday morning and wasnt able to get another.. so of course Saturday I took a 15 mg perc. One half in the evening and then the other half around 11pm. And today I couldnt get a sub.. So again I took half a per 15. I am working on getting a couple subs.. I wonder if i get 2 8 mg subs.. and I take them over a course of 10-14 days.. Would that be long enough to get through the oxycodone withdrawal but not have sub withdrawal?? And I notice when I took the sub.. I drank less.. I didnt want it as much. I drank 1 or 2 beers and then I just didnt want anymore. So, could sub help with the tapering or stopping of alcohol as well?? I do not have insurance right now.. doctor and rehab is not an option.. I have a job i just starting a month and a half ago so I have no personal.. sick or vacation time right now. I can not be sick! Especially for a week or two. But I really wanna try and kick this. At the very least I would at least like to take subs for 2 weeks to get off the oxycodone and then maybe start meetings. I know there are alot of long term effects of oxycodone and alcohol.. but right now I am just trying to get myself past the physical part of the sickness. Anyone have any advice or suggestions?? Please help!

Two weeks of sub, along with the long half life of it, could be too long and put you into sub wd. 4-8 days of sub should get you through the acute stage. This isn't going to painless, and mentally its still a long road, but you can do this. You're not on a high dose of opiates, so this shouldn't be too bad.

I understand the work situation, was there myself, so scared of losing work after a long period of unemployment . If you can taper I wouldn’t do subs more than a week and make the jump when you know you’ll be hitting your lowest part, like over a weekend or whenever you have off. I was given Ritalin during my first rehab to keep going to work, which I hated (do not like uppers) - reg caffeine got me thru the easy days etc. And yeah, subs are used for alcohol detox too. You should see if there is any sliding scale or free organizations in your area, seeing a doc can make all the difference. Best of luck, don’t stay on subs too long. I had a similar habit to yours, though higher, but I have to say my detoxes did not kill me and you'll be okay.

Hey guys.. Thanks for your replies.. I haven't been back on for like a week.. So, to give you an update.. I wasn't able to get any subs so the 5 days I did take them seem like a waste cause I just went back to the percs all week.. A little less of my normal dose though.. I have only taken about 15mg per day. I was fine all week except feeling like a failure.. I know it is gonna take more than once and its a part of the recovery process though. I took a about 13 mg yesterday.. I had a quarter of a 15 and then half of a 15 around 530 pm.. and I woke up today.. feeling like complete fucking shit!
My withdrawal starts very early.. like within 8-12 hours.. My dose may be low but I think it is the prolonged period of use. I have been using and maintaining this habit with no more than 40 mg a day for a little over 4 years. So, I am absolutely physically addicted but I think I am even more psychologically addicted.. which is probably worse cause your brain literally controls everything in your body. Fun shit ya know lol I had to wait a full 24 hours today.. I had a very small piece of sub that I had saved from last weekend.. but no other subs in site.. so I was hesitate to take it.. I dont wanna start the sub again if I dont have enough to at least last 5 or 6 days. So after feeling like shit all day.. back pain like a mug.. dry throat.. restless achy legs.. nausea.. some diarrhea.. I even get blurred vision?? weird?? and just over all feeling like complete shit.. when my husband came home from work he got me a perc 15.. I took half and am starting to feel a lil better.. and of course I had 2 glasses of wine.. to help speed up the process once I took the perc. I admire alot of you.. who have done like crazy amounts of oxycodone or even H and are able to go through wd's cold turkey.. Holy Fuck! Like I said.. my dose maybe low.. I am just maintaining basically.. and I just need to feel normal.. and If I wanna get a little high.. I snort some.. But I think the period of time of use.. is why it is pretty bad for me.. Why do you guys think?? I really wanna start a taper.. even if its a taper of the oxy to like 5 mg.. and then start the subs.. for 4-8 days.. Subs will be good for the alcohol too.. I heard.. Its hard to try and kick both at once.. Any advice or suggestions with a taper.. or any suggestions at all is greatly appreciated.

I forgot to add that.. those 5 days with the subs.. is the longest I have not taken oxycodone in the last 4 years.. I didnt stop alcohol completely on the subs.. but I maintained about 2 beers which is half my normal on the weekdays.. and I was deathly afraid of having more because of the increased risks.. funny I know the risks with alcohol and oxycodone.. yet I still do it.. but it is why.. I wont over do it.. The perc actually keeps me from drinking way too much which I probably would.. but sometimes I still do drink too much.. Sometimes I will drink like 6-8 beers on the weekends.. with 15-20 mg of oxy in my system.. Fucking addiction really sucks!

If it were me I swear before my Lord and Savior I would taper the oxy no matter how long it takes to get off and i would never touch the subs.
Then.... once oxy is outta the picture and alcohol is still in. .... hmmmm if you absolutely cannot see a doctor I would taper the alcohol for as long as it takes... I would not take the subs at all if my habits were exactly as your habits are described.
I feel subs in your case would only prolong the process to becoming clean.
Your habits are quite small.
You can DO without the subs.

Good luck!

If it were me I swear before my Lord and Savior I would taper the oxy no matter how long it takes to get off and i would never touch the subs.
Then.... once oxy is outta the picture and alcohol is still in. .... hmmmm if you absolutely cannot see a doctor I would taper the alcohol for as long as it takes... I would not take the subs at all if my habits were exactly as your habits are described.
I feel subs in your case would only prolong the process to becoming clean.
Your habits are quite small.
You can DO without the subs.

Good luck!

Thanks so much for your reply! I know both of my habits for both are low.. but I think it is the prolonged use of both.. which is why it so bad for me.. I have been using oxy for a little over 4 years.. and the alcohol.. even though same except on very few occassions.. the same as well. My brain and my body are addicted. it is part of my daily routine and I do not know how to function without. I have gone through oxy withdrawal.. more times than I can count in the last 4 years.. The first 24 hours are so fucking bad... I get withdrawal within the first 8-12 hours.. but after that.. day 2 and 3 are not so bad.. just stomach cramping.. diarrhea and mental fog.. blurred vision and anxiety.. but day 4.. it comes back with a fucking vengence and is what usually sends me back to using.. I never want anything to with alcohol when I am withdrawing in the first 24 hours.. but after I def drink.. it makes me feel a lil bit better.. and sometimes I just drink because I am afraid I am gonna go in alcohol withdrawal too.. at the same time and that is no good. Ugh I just wish I could stop this fucking shit! Like I said.. I may have a LIGHT habit in comparsion to others.. but it is the extended period of use! Please take that into consideration.. I know there are so many helpful folks here.. and I appreiciate you all very much!

Two weeks of sub, along with the long half life of it, could be too long and put you into sub wd. 4-8 days of sub should get you through the acute stage. This isn't going to painless, and mentally its still a long road, but you can do this. You're not on a high dose of opiates, so this shouldn't be too bad.

This. I wouldn't worry about becoming dependent on buprenoprhine for a couple weeks, especially if you reduce your dose over the second week, but eight days of it should see you through acute withdrawal in relative comfort.

OP, can you get any: gabapentin, clonidine, diazepam/clonazepam? Even just gabapentin will make it far more manageable.

Any plans for after the acute withdrawal? Like how to deal with cravings, etc? Your options are nearly limitless in a sense, although you're likely to have to explore what concert of support will work best for you.

This. I wouldn't worry about becoming dependent on buprenoprhine for a couple weeks, especially if you reduce your dose over the second week, but eight days of it should see you through acute withdrawal in relative comfort.

OP, can you get any: gabapentin, clonidine, diazepam/clonazepam? Even just gabapentin will make it far more manageable.

Any plans for after the acute withdrawal? Like how to deal with cravings, etc? Your options are nearly limitless in a sense, although you're likely to have to explore what concert of support will work best for you.

Toothpastedog... I can't really get my hands on any of those things.. I dont have insurance right now.. I maybe able to get some gaba.. I think I have a few refills left.. but being my insurance ran out.. its gonna cost me and I dont have it..I dont know anyone who has any of those things.. Life really sucks right now. I just did the last of my perc 15.. which means I am gonna feel like complete shit when I wake up and I have a million fucking things to do.. I have that small piece of sub.. from last weekend.. it is like a ,25mg.. it is less than a half of a half of an 8 mg.. that will probably last me a good 12-24 hours.. but I am afraid to take it too soon.. I have had precipitated wd's.. before.. omg.. Its like I'm fucking dying.. nausea.. vomitting.. hot flashes.. sweating.. shakiness and tremors.. .I cant sit still for shit and end up cleaning everything in my house.. to try and occupy my mind.. shit it actually might be a good thing.. even though it feels like death.. I noticed even though I experience withdrawal around 8-10 hours.. I have to wait almost 24.. before I take the sub.. or I am extremely sick for about 12 hours.. I would really appreciate a good taper plan suggestion with the oxy as well as the alcohol.. I am completely open to any and all suggestions

It's hard to taper oxycodone or short acting opioids for most people, but if you want to try reduce your dose by ~10% every four-six days. Then use buprenorphine for a week to manage any acute withdrawal that comes to jumping completely off the oxycodone.

With the alcohol, how much are you drinking right now again (the volume (mL/oz/L/pints/etc) and percentage alcohol)?

With the buprenorphine, try insulfating it as it will go a little further.

Switching back and forth between buprenorphine and oxycodone is going to make this more difficult no matter which direction you go. If you want to taper off the oxycodone, you need to avoid buprenorphine until you're ready to jump off the oxycodone (as the buprenorphine will screw up your tolerance as you're trying to taper). If you want to detox using buprenorphine (you should need more than a week or two of buprenorphine to get through acute withdrawal) then you probably should stop taking the oxycodone.

It sounds like you want off the oxycodone either way. I'd imagine detoxing with buprenorphine and whatever comfort meds you can get your hands on would be more manageable than trying to taper oxycodone given the doses your working with, but do what feels right to you. If it doesn't work out well you can always alter your strategy in the future.

My plan was originally to have 12 mg.. of sub.. take 2mg.. intially.. and then take 1 mg .. for 3 days.. then take .50 mg.. for 3 days.. and then take .25 mg for 3days ane then take .10 mg for 3 days.. and then maybe even .5 mg for 2 days.. and then just stop.. I dont even know if thats 12 mg.. my brain is fucked up right now.. I am trying to figure out a plan to do this shit on my own.. I deff need help! and the alcohol.. well.. when I am on the bupe.. i drink literally half of what I normally do..and I think maybe 2 beers a day for a week or so.. should definitley make withdrawals.. so much tolerable and not life threatening if I decide to stop althogether.

You would probably be better off just taking 2mg twice a day for four days, then reducing to 1mg twice a day for three. You wouldn't get any withdrawal from that and it would help you deal with the acute withdrawal far more comfortably than your original plan.

I wouldn't worry to much about the booze. If you are, try reducing it to just one beer. Alcohol tends to make opioid withdrawal less comfortable, but if it's just one beer a day it shouldn't be too horrible.

And if anything the buprenorphine/naloxone should help you not need to drink as much as normal (as it already seems to be doing).

Most days I drink 50 ounces of 5.6 alcohol volume beers a day.. Sometimes I drink 25 ounces of 12percent volume plus a 25 ounce of 5.6 voulme.. My daily habit though.. is 50-75 ounces of 5.6

For now just stick to 5.6. If you're already use to that at 50oz try reducing it to 36oz.

For now just stick to 5.6. If you're already use to that at 50oz try reducing it to 36oz.

Ok.. I have tapered to like 25 oz rarely quickly though.. It has only been when I am in oxy withdrawal.. and really dont want it.. so alot of my waking up in pure soaked sheets with sweat.. may have alot to do with the alcohol.. It is so hard to tell which is which... Like I said when I am in oxy withdrawal I really dont want alcohol.. at least for the first 24 to 48 hours.. and when I take subs.. I can only drink about half what I normally do.. but over a very long period of time.. like 6-12 hours.. I can only drink 25-36 ounces

I sooooooo wanna get over this.. I have limited resources and options.. I know I can do this.. I am just trying to do it safely and with minimal wd's.. after the physical illness... I know I am shit storm of mental and emotional sickness..
And I know it all starts with my mental illness.. Anxiety and Depression.. which I will have to really conquer.. It is the cause of everything :(

I'm feeling quite depressed... like I just wanna die.. Drugs and alcohol have consumed most of my life.. though I was funcitonally.. and my situation now seems so hopeless.. i wanna quit everything so bad.. but have no means to end.. except at home tapering and detox.. and my husband is no help.. he doesnt wanna quit.. he is an alcoholic.. very bad.. He drinks about a 100 or 150 ounces a day of beer.. and has for the last 20 years.. he also does percs.. anywhere from 15 to 30 mg a day.. and he also shoots coke about 20-40 bag on friday and saturday nights.. yes he only does it on the weekends..he some how controls his self over the week.. He is a funcitional alcoholic and addict as well.. .I literally have no support.. Thats why I am here.. I am so tired of living this life.. alcohol and percs.. every single fucking day! Like I wanna funciton like a normal human being.. with no drugs or alcohol. I swear he uses the pills to have a upperhand over me.. Like Yeah i got you a perc and beer.. so you're not sick.. you should appreciate that! like wtf! and when I say I wanna stop it.. oh hes supportive in the moment.. and then he dangles the shit in front of my face.. He NEVER wants to stop.. he doesnt think its a problem.. cause he is still funcitonally.. I am slighly buzzed right now.. but I am so sick of this shit! I feel like my entire life.. is just falling the fuck apart.. I know I can do this.. and I am so determined to. Even it takes baby steps.. He is never gonna be any kind of support or help.. and I need to accept that.. and be even more strong.. I am just venting right now.. It is just so hard.. to stop doing this shit period.. but then have someone just keep doing in your face,, while you're trying to stop. I cant leave right now... I have no where to go.. And I cant force him to leave.. We both own our house.. Hell I am definitley stuck in.. but I see the light at the end of the tunnel.. Did I mention I lost my dog of 9 years in Septemeber?? I literally watch him die for 10days.. and then I lost my Stepfather of 25 years and my younger brother all within 3 weeks?? from sept 14th to oct 8th.. I am just so fucked up in the head right now. Thanks for listening

And with that said, if you’re just venting etc. you can accomplish this detox. Tapering as Toothpaste said will make a huge difference.
Maybe you can look into free counseling in your area as well. There are lots of resources out there, just need to seek them out.

I sooooooo wanna get over this.. I have limited resources and options.. I know I can do this.. I am just trying to do it safely and with minimal wd's.. after the physical illness... I know I am shit storm of mental and emotional sickness..
And I know it all starts with my mental illness.. Anxiety and Depression.. which I will have to really conquer.. It is the cause of everything :(

I'm feeling quite depressed... like I just wanna die.. Drugs and alcohol have consumed most of my life.. though I was funcitonally.. and my situation now seems so hopeless.. i wanna quit everything so bad.. but have no means to end.. except at home tapering and detox.. and my husband is no help.. he doesnt wanna quit.. he is an alcoholic.. very bad.. He drinks about a 100 or 150 ounces a day of beer.. and has for the last 20 years.. he also does percs.. anywhere from 15 to 30 mg a day.. and he also shoots coke about 20-40 bag on friday and saturday nights.. yes he only does it on the weekends..he some how controls his self over the week.. He is a funcitional alcoholic and addict as well.. .I literally have no support.. Thats why I am here.. I am so tired of living this life.. alcohol and percs.. every single fucking day! Like I wanna funciton like a normal human being.. with no drugs or alcohol. I swear he uses the pills to have a upperhand over me.. Like Yeah i got you a perc and beer.. so you're not sick.. you should appreciate that! like wtf! and when I say I wanna stop it.. oh hes supportive in the moment.. and then he dangles the shit in front of my face.. He NEVER wants to stop.. he doesnt think its a problem.. cause he is still funcitonally.. I am slighly buzzed right now.. but I am so sick of this shit! I feel like my entire life.. is just falling the fuck apart.. I know I can do this.. and I am so determined to. Even it takes baby steps.. He is never gonna be any kind of support or help.. and I need to accept that.. and be even more strong.. I am just venting right now.. It is just so hard.. to stop doing this shit period.. but then have someone just keep doing in your face,, while you're trying to stop. I cant leave right now... I have no where to go.. And I cant force him to leave.. We both own our house.. Hell I am definitley stuck in.. but I see the light at the end of the tunnel.. Did I mention I lost my dog of 9 years in Septemeber?? I literally watch him die for 10days.. and then I lost my Stepfather of 25 years and my younger brother all within 3 weeks?? from sept 14th to oct 8th.. I am just so fucked up in the head right now. Thanks for listening

What activities or passions did you used to have, ones that gave you joy?

If not joy per se, what gave you some sense, however vague, of fullness, meaning or contentment? Even if you've long ceased doing it, it might give us an idea of what to more specifically suggest.

So it sounds like you're battling a number of different but interconnected experiences: that of opioid withdrawal, alcohol use (disorder?) and mental illness.

1. Are you diagnoses with anything in terms of mental health?

2. What is your experience of mental illness like?

3. Do you think your experience is specifically connection to drug use or opioid dependency or withdrawal?

4. Did taking opioids make your previous experience of mental illness more manageable? How so/how did they help you live?

5. What was your experience with life (and/or symptoms of mental illness) prior to the introduction of opioids?

6. What was it like pre-alcohol?

7. If you want extra credit, share a little about your relationships to your birth parents, caregiver, and any other family members.
The more info you give us about your history and background, your likes and dislikes, where you are in life in terms of family, home, school, work, nothing do, whatever, the higher quality our feedback can be.

Keep your head up! x

Last edited by a moderator: