• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Going from H to suboxone - rushed taper schedule? Any advice?

Bthgirl93

Greenlighter
Hi there,
Decided to seek treatment about 3 weeks ago for my h habit. Dr who did my intake put me on 12mg of suboxone and slowly tapered me down the next week to 8mg then 6mg a few days later. Now I'm currently down to 1/3rd a strip for the next 2 days then down to 1/4th for the next 2 days then it's over with. I'm worried because every morning when I dose I immediately wake up with intense tearing, watery nose, yawning, anxiety, mild acheyness etc. My dr put me on what seems to be in my opinion a really quick taper which for nearly 2 years of active heroin addiction... but maybe it's better than getting hooked on the subs right? Are these w/ds im experiencing legit dope sickness from the h still lmao or are these from the subs?? I'm scared once I'm out im gonna be in full blown w/d misery and it will lead me back to scoring more dope. Ive been trying to get in touch with a dr out here in Ohio to get on the vivatrol shot asap but no one has returned my messages so im pissed. My boyfriend and i have roughly the same amount of clean time from oxys and h i have 23 he has 21 cept hes doing it the kratom way then weaning off to start on the vivatrol oral tablets to see how his body reacts to the shot. I did kratom when we were desperate for dope but I couldn't stomach it :\ so luckily i got the subs. Mr dr also perscribed me gabapentin and clonidine to help. They have been a god send honestly. Man no one tells you its gonna be this hard. Luckily we are attending NA meetings as often as possible and both looking for jobs. Im thankful to be off the shit but I know I can easily go back in the blink of an eye. I still miss it like crazy. If anyone has some insight or would like to share their own personal experiences I'm all ears. ? thank you!! ??

Wow that's awesome. I don't have an answer to your question but I'm new to this website and was scrolling thru to find answers on Sub & H because my fiancee and I are both addicted. So let me just stop and commend both you and yours because like you said no one said it would be this hard!! I recently went to a sub doctor and only get 60 8mg a month due to my Medicaid but I guess due to my tolerance I have to take 2 at a time just to not be sick which really discouraged my fiancee and I because we thought this was the answer to our prayers. Should we try methadone instead? Or does it go away after the 1st day? My fiancee is convinced it doesn't help so he scores and I'm not strong enough to know He has H and not do it too.. I know I sound weak that's because with this drug I am weak. Please someone help because I'm so sick of a drug controlling every aspect of he and my lives.

You've been on too high a dose for too long already. Drs jyst have no clue what they're doing. They take an 8hr course on sub, get their license, then start dishing it out like candy. Nobody, and i mean nobody needs 12mg/day. Stay on ea dose for 4 days, then cut it 25%, all the way to .25mg.

Guys, it's at the lower doses of Suboxone that the withdrawals come. I'll try to answer some of both your questions, and these answers are only my own personal experience, which, unfortunately, I have lots of, with all of this. First, nobody needs more than about 8-10 mg daily of Suboxone--probably 4-6 should stabilize most people. It takes a few days to really work the way it's supposed to, and a good doctor will continually titrate your dose for about the first week or two if you're going onto maintenance. I was on 12 mg for years, then dropped over a few months to 4, stayed on that several more years, and began tapering from that. No withdrawals or cravings all that time. When I got down as low as .25mg every other day, then it hit...and stayed and stayed. Because Suboxone, and methadone, are so long-lasting in your body, you don't even START withdrawing until about Day 3. And then, if you've been on it a long time, the kicking can take weeks or even months. Methadone is even worse and its' withdrawals are much worse than heroin or Suboxone. I wouldn't advise anyone to get on methadone unless they were prepared to make it a lifetime proposition, at least realize that it's a possibility. As far as one part of a couple on Sub and the other using H, that's a tough one. It maybe sounds like your BF didn't try it long enough or your doctor isn't giving you the best of instructions, because it does work. Once you get on the right dose for you, it works. And it will completely stop you from getting high on H or any other narcotic. If it's not doing that, your dose is too low. A lot of addiction is in our heads, of course. Your head can tell you that Sub isn't working and that you are feeling the H, simply to get you to quit the recovery med. But study after study has proven that it 1. stops physical cravings for opiates (mental ones are another matter) and 2. will block, at a proper dosage for you--everyone's different--completely the effects of heroin, methadone, pain pills, etc.

If you are on a Suboxone taper, like the first poster, you can talk to your provider about going onto maintenance instead of detox. If he doesn't do maintenance, you might have to look for another doctor or clinic that does. The information I also posted here about the pros and cons of Sub are for you, too. If you're using Sub tapering to get off another drug, and do a short taper like you described, you will suffer some withdrawals but they should be no more than a week or so, and you've got good comfort meds. If sleep is a problem, you could ask for something to sleep, as well, like a benzo (Xanax or Valium) or Ambien. I'm not sure why you are such a hurry to go on Vivitrol--is it a legal issue or just because you're done using and want something to keep you from using? It has a lot of side effects and if you still have ANY opiates in your system when you take the pill or get the shot, it will throw you into the worst withdrawals you can imagine. You might want to check out some of the threads about Vivitrol; there are several, and some peoples' experience is pretty scary. I was on it once, and it didn't really do much of anything for me. Eventually I got ready to use again, so I deliberately quit taking it and waited a couple of days, then scored some H. Best wishes and good vibes to all of you and hope to see you on the boards here! ~namaste~

Thank you for the info and for sharing your personal experience. I assumed and really already knew I guess that he doesn't want it to work.. I'm pretty much out of options besides counseling and rehab but my dilemma is he refuses to go. His excuse changes daily but I have no idea what else to do. I want to get clean. I don't want a drug controlling every aspect of our lives anymore. I don't want any of it but I do want him in my life. I guess Let Go Let God and Hope For the Best and Pray He Grows the Want to Change..

Tayloristoomade, it sounds like you might have some tough decisions to make in the future. I hope not and I hope you both find the help you need, and soon. I don't have any experience with h but I'm almost a month into my detox from Oxymorphone. It was really awful but I feel better everyday, now. I'm free. Waking up in the morning feeling just fine, thank you very much, is SO worth the initial agony. You are on the right path and you have lots of people here on BL for support. This community really is wonderful for what you are going through.
Best-Mel

It sounds like you've got plenty of scripts to get you through this! It's going to be uncomfortable. Yeah don't stay on Subs, noooope. Pain is the name of this game though. I'm not sure I believe others have done this relatively pain free ? I'm sure they have but I sure as hell didn't! Just push through. You can do it. A lot of us have and are, so can you! Lean on each other and be strong. Find a friend to hold you accountable!