Study International Society of Sports Nutrition position stand: Nutrient timing

Genetic Freak

Moderator: SIED
Staff member
Nutrient content and timing pre, intra, and post workout is a heavily debated subject with much controversy...

The purpose of this collective position statement is to highlight, summarize, and assess the current scientific literature, and to make scientific recommendations surrounding the timed ingestion of carbohydrates (CHO), protein (PRO), and fat. The enclosed recommendations are suitable for researchers, practitioners, coaches and athletes who may use nutrient timing as a means to achieve optimum health and performance goals. This position stand is divided into three primary sections: pre-exercise, during exercise and post-exercise:

Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition

International Society of Sports Nutrition position stand: Nutrient timing

Chad Kerksick, Travis Harvey, Jeff Stout, Bill Campbell, Wilborn, Richard Kreider, Doug Kalman, Tim Ziegenfuss, Hector Lopez, Jamie Landis, John L Ivy and Jose Antonio

Conclusion

The scientific literature associated with nutrient timing is an extremely popular, and thus ever-changing, area of research. Upon reviewing the available literature, the following conclusions can be drawn at this point in time:

• Prolonged exercise (> 60 – 90 min) of moderate to high intensity exercise will deplete the internal stores of energy, and prudent timing of nutrient delivery can help offset these changes.

• During intense exercise, regular consumption (10 – 15 fl oz.) of CHO/electrolyte solution delivering 6 – 8% CHO (6 – 8 g CHO/100 ml fluid) should be consumed every 15
– 20 min to sustain blood glucose levels.

• Glucose, fructose, sucrose and other high-glycemic CHO sources are easily digested, but fructose consumption should be minimized as it is absorbed at a slower rate and
increases the likelihood of gastrointestinal problems.

• The addition of PRO (0.15 – 0.25 g PRO/kg/day) to CHO at all time points, especially post-exercise, is well tolerated and may promote greater restoration of muscle
glycogen.

• Ingestion of 6 – 20 grams of EAAs and 30 – 40 grams of high-glycemic CHO within three hours after an exercise bout and immediately before exercise have been shown to significantly stimulate muscle PRO synthesis.

• Daily post-exercise ingestion of a CHO + PRO supplement promotes greater increases in strength and improvements in lean tissue and body fat % during regular
resistance training.

• Milk PRO sources (e.g. whey and casein) exhibit different kinetic digestion patterns and may subsequently differ in their support of training adaptations.

https://jissn.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1550-2783-5-17

Discuss....

Ugh the trouble with these reviews is that things keep changing. That was 2008. I've read so many varying interpretations on the importance of various things since, I kind of lose track. I also dislike a number of the studies they used for this review (on untrained/habituated individuals). They do that a lot though.

If I get some more time, I'd like to try and pool together a number of other papers for your thread.

Ugh the trouble with these reviews is that things keep changing. That was 2008. I've read so many varying interpretations on the importance of various things since, I kind of lose track. I also dislike a number of the studies they used for this review (on untrained/habituated individuals). They do that a lot though.

If I get some more time, I'd like to try and pool together a number of other papers for your thread.

Yeh, you don't know what to believe half the time..

Most people doing resistance exercise for the goal of hypertrophy eat regular meals inclusive of carbs and protein anyway, which makes most of the research pretty pointless.. Who would contemplate training whilst deficient in vital macros pre, and post workout.. you'd have to be a retard..