• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Teenager tasered by police after a suspected ‘bad trip’ on acid

Jabberwocky

Frumious Bandersnatch
A TEENAGER on the Sunshine Coast tasered and doused in capsicum spray by police was done as a complete “last resort”, authorities say.

Police were called to Serenity Court in Buderim, Queensland on Wednesday night when concerned neighbours raised the alarm.

When they arrived, the 15-year-old was reportedly on foot doing laps of the street, screaming and charging into bins.

According to ABC journalist Bianca Clare, who witnessed the event, the boy was also running into traffic and lashing out at paramedics.

The boy, believed to be having a bad reaction to the drug acid, was tasered by police three times to subdue him.

“He was naked, running up and down the street. It was really quite traumatic to see,” Clare said.

Acid can give users a sense of euphoria or spaced-out bliss however it can also lead to a feeling of intense terror. A “bad trip” on acid can last for up to 12 hours.

Even small quantities of acid can cause users to hallucinate and become deluded as the sizes and shapes of objects become distorted.

Superintendent Darryl Johnson told the ABC the boy was tasered because he was a threat to neighbours.

“We had to use the taser on a number of occasions to subdue the young fellow. We only use that as a last resort, and our police officers were faced with that last night,” Superintendent Johnson said.

Queensland Police confirmed to news.com.au the investigation is ongoing. No charges have been laid and the teenager was taken to hospital.

The law in Australia currently completely restricts Taser ownership in all states and territories.

The weapon is only available for police use with some states even restricting it to special operations groups.

The US on the other hand offers little to no restrictions on Taser ownership in 45 of its 50 states.

While Tasers are seen as a way of dealing with dangerous or harmful situations in a nonlethal way, they have also caused numerous deaths in Australia and around the world since their introduction into the police force over 20 years ago.

An extensive investigation done by Reuters found 1005 cases in the United States alone where a person died after police had used a Taser on them.

The death count in Australia is much lower, with at least six deaths being linked to Taser use up until 2012.

When a 2007 report from the United Nations Committee Against Torture said it “was worried the use of Taser weapons provoking extreme pain constituted a form of torture”, the chairman of the Taser Board Tom Smith decided to respond.

After calling the UN “out of touch” with the needs of the modern police force, Smith listed all the other “injuries” police weapons inflict.

“Pepper spray goes on for hours and hours, hitting someone with a baton breaks limbs, shooting someone with a firearm causes permanent damage, even punching and kicking — the intent of those tools is to inflict pain, ... with the Taser, the intent is not to inflict pain, it’s to end the confrontation. When it’s over, it’s over,” he said.

Source: http://www.news.com.au/national/que...d/news-story/fe6cf94c04979afaed5ab3dd439bfe79

Death by taser is the same bullshit they use for various drug related deaths.

Like for example, someone does acid and falls of a roof to their death, it's called a drug death.

I've yet to see any evidence that deaths caused by a taser, and just a taser, not being tased and falling on a hard surface, not being tased with a known preexisting heart problem, but just being tased itself, has a likelyhood of resulting in death that is even remotely common.

They don't even consider how many people would have been shot and killed had there been no option for a taser. I'm totally in favor of deployment of tasers provides there is proper training.

The weapon is only available for police use with some states even restricting it to special operations groups

In practice this is kinda bullshit. I've lived in NSW for many years and pretty much every cop I see has a taser.

I used to live in QLD where this article happened, and currently am again for the time being, and it's the same here. So they are hardly all that restricted for the cops.

As for the acid, I highly doubt it was really acid. They never wait and see before the news proclaims it to be acid nor do they correct it when they find out its wrong.

....but acid can def cause the same effects described in this story. it causes more psychosis imo than nbome which are less mental of drugs.

but yea they didn't test tox shit and when they do (if ever) the media will never follow up on it. just like the face eater from miami which was reported on for months heavily as being a bathsalt crazed face eater....turns out he had zero bathsalts and ONLY weed in his system. media never followed up on the tox results saying it was only weed. media is poison and should be illegalized and some sort of highly regulated system put in place for news

i find it hard to believe that a teenager out of their mind on acid in a non-handgun country couldn't have just been subdued by a team of officers by hand, it seems like just shooting ppl that act out of turn is bleeing into other countries besides the US

Why cause they shot him with a taser?

Fuck that shit, why should they have to subject themselves to injury, and increase the odds of the kid injuring himself when there's a better option?

They were clearly right to tase him. I love an excuse to hate the cops as much as anyone but I'm not seeing one here.

But then as I already said, I think the taser controversy is a pack of lies. It's the same kinda stuff you see when they talk about the unbearable agony people subjected to lethal injection suffer.

It's a pack of lies and horseshit they use cause they don't think the truth will be a compelling enough argument and think the ends justifies the means.

I actually also don't think we should have the death penalty but I won't let such dishonesty go uncontested even for a position I agree with. Same with this.