• Find All Reports by Search Term
    Find Reports
    Find Tagged Reports by Substance
    Substance Category
    Specific Substance
    Find Reports
  • Trip Reports Moderator: Xorkoth

Pitolisant (Wakix) - Retrospective - My one-month experice with wakix/pitolisant

Gourlae

Greenlighter
Hello everyone, if anyone is interested, here's my one month or so experience with wakix/pitolisant.

I'm a 19-year-old student from Brittany, France.

First of all, I'm diagnosed with "atypical hypsersomnia". It means that I have some kind of hypersomnia, but no one really knows what I do have. I experience hypersomnolence especially when I need to concentrate, some as well on weekends plus some sleep drunkenness.

I tried first modafinil, which helped a bit but gave me a lot of side effects. About them for wakix, I only heard about a few people complaining about headaches or muscular pain.

Wakix in general makes me more awake during the day than modafinil, with no side effects. I may have taken some weight but that's all.

Its action lasts for about 10-12h, and it takes about an hour to be really effective.

Once prescribed, I had to call my town's hospital for about one week before picking it up, because it takes them this amount of time to receive some. They deliver wakix for 1 month of treatment. During the first time, I received one box of 4.5 mg and two of 18. Without insurance I saw that it costed about 770 euros, but here it's fully reimbursed (I didn't even had to pay anything directly).

On the second time, I received 2 of 18mg, costing 481 euros, fully reimbursed again.

My doctor prescribed me 9mg for the first week, 18mg for the second one, and 36mg for the next ones.

On the first two days (weekend), I was very awake, and I was very active. I found myself cleaning up my room with much efforts at midnight haha.

During the rest of the first two weeks, I often slept during classes for about 10 mins once or twice a day, and was still very tired most of the day. During the week, I needed to go back home for lunch and to take naps for about 20 minutes, plus 20 other mins laying in my bed just listening to music. After school, I needed to sleep for 1H-1H30 because I couldn't stay awake. It was just a bit better than modafinil, if you exclude all side effects. During this time, my sleep during the night has improved well. Before, I was used to fall asleep at 1-2am because it was the period where it was the period where I was the most awake. Now, I am tired on evenings, and often fall asleep at 10-11pm.

The third week, I was more awake during the day than before, and stopped to fall asleep during classes. I was still very tired at the end of some though, but it was impossible to fall asleep. I started to need less naps at home

Since the fourth one, I am again more awake, but still a bit tired. Classes are still very tiring, but less than before. I fall asleep sometimes for about 10 mins during them, but it's rare. I only need now five-minute naps at lunch and after school, but still 30-45 mins of recuperation in my bed before or after them. Same thing goes especially for when I need to concentrate on weekends.

As a conclusion, I'd say that wakix helps me a ton. A lot more than all the other treatments that I tried.
If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Thank you for reading.

Tagged by Xorkoth
substancecode_pitolisant
substancecode_stimulants
explevel_firsttime
explevel_retrospective
exptype_positive
roacode_oral

Last edited by a moderator: