• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

mulungu bark

Diphenhydramine acts at muscarinic acetylcholinergic receptors

Based on wiki, the bark acts at nicotinic acetylcholinergic receptors

These are very different

so mulungu would not share the same adverse affects of antihistamines/anticholinergics like these ?

"Side effects[edit]

Long-term use may increase the risk of both mental and physical decline.[6][7][8][9][10][11] It is unclear if they affect the risk of death generally.[6] However, in older adults they do appear to increase the risk of death.[12] Possible effects of anticholinergics include:

Possible effects in the central nervous system resemble those associated with delirium, and may include:

• Confusion
  • Disorientation
  • Agitation
  • Euphoria or dysphoria
  • Respiratory depression
  • Memory problems[14]
  • Inability to concentrate
  • Wandering thoughts; inability to sustain a train of thought
  • Incoherent speech
  • Irritability
  • Mental confusion (brain fog)
  • Wakeful myoclonic jerking
  • Unusual sensitivity to sudden sounds
  • Illogical thinking
  • Photophobia
  • Visual disturbances
    • Periodic flashes of light
    • Periodic changes in visual field
    • Visual snow
    • Restricted or "tunnel vision"
  • Visual, auditory, or other sensory hallucinations
    • Warping or waving of surfaces and edges
    • Textured surfaces
    • "Dancing" lines; "spiders", insects; form constants
    • Lifelike objects indistinguishable from reality
    • Phantom smoking
    • Hallucinated presence of people not actually there
  • Rarely: seizures, coma, and death
  • Orthostatic hypotension (severe drop in systolic blood pressure when standing up suddenly) and significantly increased risk of falls in the elderly population.[15]
Older patients are at a higher risk of experiencing CNS sideffects due to lower acetylcholine production.
A common mnemonic for the main features of anticholinergic syndrome is the following:[16]

• Blind as a bat (dilated pupils)
  • Red as a beet (vasodilation/flushing)
  • Hot as a hare (hyperthermia)
  • Dry as a bone (dry skin)
  • Mad as a hatter (hallucinations/agitation)
  • Bloated as a toad (ileus, urinary retention)
  • And the heart runs alone (tachycardia)
Toxicity[edit]

Acute anticholinergic syndrome is reversible and subsides once all of the causative agent has been excreted. Reversible Acetylcholinesterase inhibitor agents such as physostigminecan be used as an antidote in life-threatening cases. Wider use is discouraged due to the significant side effects related to cholinergic excess including: seizures, muscle weakness, bradycardia, bronchoconstriction, lacrimation, salivation, bronchorrhea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Even in documented cases of anticholinergic toxicity, seizures have been reported after the rapid administration of physostigmine. Asystole has occurred after physostigmine administration for tricyclic antidepressant overdose, so a conduction delay (QRS > 0.10 second) or suggestion of tricyclic antidepressant ingestion is generally considered a contraindication to physostigmine administration.[17] "

rgic erythrina velutina is stronger apparently. it seems to have a range of mechanisms of action maybe that mulungu has as well.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0378874108006934

AE-induced contractions seem to involve GABAA receptor activation, acetylcholine release, muscarinic receptor activation, augmentation of Ca2+ entry through L-type calcium channels, and calcium release from the intracellular stores.

is acetylcholine release and muscarinic receptor activation the opposite to antihistamines?

I have also heard that erythrina velutina can cause memory and cognitive problems from people who have tried it have told me. i wonder what action is causing this ?

I tried mulungu bark a few times and it was very mild,some mild sleep inducing effects and very slight uncoordination but thats it.This is not a winner,valerian root is better if u ask me

what kind of mulungu did you have.

IME its way stronger than valerian which is placebo for me.

you should try the fresh root bark and nor some extract BTW

I found mulungu bark an effective sedative. Then I could not find any quality bark. But any info on mulungu would be valuable, the benefits and harms.

Valerian works for me too. But I wake up depressed. Mulungu for sure had an effect that was beyond placebo.

Got to be careful IIRC with mulungu. Some of the Erythrina alkaloids are dangerous in overdose. In large ODs I'm not sure if its possible with E.mulungu, but other Erythrina species, the nicotinic antagonism is targeted at the neuromuscular junction, acting like curare, as a paralytic.

AFAIK mulungu is safe in all sorts of doses. I talked to a brazil researcher and he said it has a very long history of safe use. have you tried mulungu ? if so what did you think
personally I want to try E. velutina which is supposed to be stronger and is active in the body through a gabaergic pathway something regular E.mulungu does not have much of.

I find mulungu more stimulating than sedative to be honest.

Also when I was interested in its effects when mixed with nicotine it didnt make the nicotine any less enjoyable.

Definitely didnt work for me

I find it works really well. Zonked me out like a strong benzo (like a strong benzo used to - before i got addicted to benzos).
For me it's very useful for combatting my chronic insomnia, when used sparingly.

I wonder if we consumed material from the same plant?

Im 100% certain that my mulungu was the real deal.

Maybe my brain is kinda weird.

I also find it like a benzo. A good handful of shredded bark simmered for 20 minutes with lemon juice felt as strong as 10 mgs of diazepam. However I have not had bark since 2009 so it has been a good while since i had any. But I bought it by the kilo and used it on occasionally and it for sure had an effect. I did buy some once since but it did not look like the mulungu I had so I tossed it.

I always thought it needed to be looked into more.