Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

picking up script repeat early?

doctordog

Bluelighter
My doctor prescribed me Imovane (1 x7.5mg tab a night). Unfortunately, I need 2-3 to get to sleep (and didn't tell him, lest he think I was abusing it). I ran out of 30 tabs in 2 weeks. Normally, I just wait until the month is up, but I'm under a lot of stress at the moment due to dealing with a chronic illness and wanted to get the rest. I spoke to a pharmacist and he said he won't dispense it, as it's not like a blood pressure med which I depend on. The script says 'speak to pharmacist if repeat is needed before the 18th', which was 5 days ago, so can he technically deny me? Is it just up to the pharmacist's discretion?

Different country and not legal advise, but in my area of the USA the pharmacist can deny you and may contact your doctor. Ridiculous, IMO.

However, I’ve have taken various rx meds, some of which are controlled substances, and I have never seen a label you describe (“speak to the pharmacist if repeat is needed before ‘ ‘ date.”)

Did your Doctor give you some discretion on your daily dosage...how much to take? If you have a good relationship with your doctor, perhaps you could call and explain what you’re going through and running low and need authorization to refill. Good luck, I’m not sure what I’d do but I wish you the best. If you have a good, long relationship as a patient and no addiction history in your medical records, I’d think he or she would give you the benefit of the doubt?

But, yeah, I had a pharmacist take away my Soma rx and it had a refill! They won’t fill it because of others meds I’m on so my poor doctor had to prescribe Flexerill. Sucks here in the USA with the drug mess and DEA.

Best of luck, keep us posted. xo

Was it before the 18th when you took it in and he said no? If so, fair enough, it is up to him. If you took a repeat script in after that date though, then he should dispense it. If not, go to a different pharmacy.

Was it before the 18th when you took it in and he said no? If so, fair enough, it is up to him. If you took a repeat script in after that date though, then he should dispense it. If not, go to a different pharmacy.

no, I called him tonight (23rd). It's a small local pharmacy. Maybe I'd have more luck at a chain like Chemist Warehouse.

Different country and not legal advise, but in my area of the USA the pharmacist can deny you and may contact your doctor. Ridiculous, IMO.

However, I’ve have taken various rx meds, some of which are controlled substances, and I have never seen a label you describe (“speak to the pharmacist if repeat is needed before ‘ ‘ date.”)

Did your Doctor give you some discretion on your daily dosage...how much to take? If you have a good relationship with your doctor, perhaps you could call and explain what you’re going through and running low and need authorization to refill. Good luck, I’m not sure what I’d do but I wish you the best. If you have a good, long relationship as a patient and no addiction history in your medical records, I’d think he or she would give you the benefit of the doubt?

But, yeah, I had a pharmacist take away my Soma rx and it had a refill! They won’t fill it because of others meds I’m on so my poor doctor had to prescribe Flexerill. Sucks here in the USA with the drug mess and DEA.

Best of luck, keep us posted. xo

My doctor said 1 a day, so technically the script should last a month. However, 1 was never sufficient to put me to sleep. Unfortunately, my doctor's away at the moment until New Year's.

A family friend has given me 7 Zopiclone pills from 2011. would they be safe to take?

Hopefully you've got your repeat problem sorted by now, but I have found it varies from pharmacist to pharmacist. I've been on dexamphetamine for years and before that, concerta and the yellow and white sheet that you get back from pharmacist for your repeats always has printed on it, if needed by a certain date, consult pharmacist. I'm in a small town in Victoria and use the same chemist most of the time. They usually have no problem filling a few days early, but if I go to some random chemist it's almost always a no. But I've never had a pharmacist refuse to supply a med after the 'if needed before blah, blah, blah' date.
That seems pretty crazy to me.

I recently learned that it is the PBS that dictates the length of time before your next repeat. ( I'm assuming your med is covered under the PBS ?)

As for the expiry date, most medications are good way beyond the expiration date but I would think Poison Control could answer that better than I can.

Don't know if that helped at all but I do hope you got it all sorted,

Hey DrDog

I think the problem is that you are abusing it and that your running out because your taking far too much. Zopiclone is a nonbenzodiazepine and its just as addictive, if not more then traditional benzodiazepines like Valium.

I know you have the chronic illness and eveything but benzodiazepine addiction and withdrawal are dangerous problems. Like physically dangerous. Worse you get a rebound affect with benzodiazepine that can cause the very anxiety your trying to avoid.

The best thing you can do is taper down and learn to deal with stress via other means.