Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Magic mushrooms to cure depression?

db1995

Bluelighter
Hi all

I'm wondering if anyone here has ever used shrooms to cure their depression. I have been depressed since a 3 day binge of ecstasy and wondering if shrooms could cure me? its been 6 months since the binge.

Does anyone have experience with trying to use shrooms to cure depression?

I would say mushrooms are good at helping with breaking the vicious circles of depression and acting on the default mode network. However if your depression is of a chemical / clinical nature and has a particular etiology like serotonin depletion, mushrooms cannot magically cure that root cause.
This can be a complex matter and depend a lot on the dynamics, on the type of thought patterns that you are calling depression now and what basis they have in your actual life (and what is actually bad about your life right now). The serotonin depletion itself shouldn't last this long, but it might have somehow started to lead a life of its own. Seems difficult to say what can zap you out of it, more information is needed.

Also, whether mushrooms are a good idea or not can depend on your perspective right now, if you are open to it and strong enough to handle some tough shit in order to heal then mushrooms could be therapeutic regardless of whether the helpful effect is direct or not. So if there are no signs that tell you it is a risk for your mental state, you might as well try? How do you think you would respond if the trip offers no answers but does stir some stuff up and catalyzes processes?

Psilocybin is a great tool for depression, but its just that, a tool. You have to use the tool properly and be ready to integrate changes in your life.

I’ve had one mushroom trip where my depression seemed to recede significantly. It helped me see things in a different light, i dropped my addiction to opiates for a month but after that the effects seemed to fade. I wasn’t ready to change at the time so although the trip helped me for the short term i didn’t stick with it.

All i’m saying is that you need to be ready to put in significant effort to change for the better. Psilocybin can help you initiate the change but you must be ready to work at it. I’m sure you will recover naturally over time, the brain is good at healing itself, but if you take a shorter route through psilocybin do not take it lightly.

There is also the possibility of a traumatic trip which can possibly make things worse. If you haven’t taken mushrooms before start with 2 grams of fairly potent mushrooms, it’s a dose that is easy to control and can still be a very powerful experience. Good luck, you can get through this.

Be sure to plan the trip carefully, set and setting are just as important as the substance.

From personal experience, Microdosing aswell as normal doses of Mushrooms can help a lot of people with anxiety and depression and sometimes cures it altogether but you need to be careful how much you take and where you take it because that can influence the way the drug impacts your brain and maybe can lead to a bad trip or make it even worse. :p .
Good luck!

Solipsis, I keep thinking this ecstasy binge changed me. I think it is just a negative thought pattern that came from serotonin depletion, although I did feel physical effects for some months. Everyday I think the same thing.

"will I ever recover" "did mdma permanently damage my brain" "you're not yourself" "You're not as smart as you were"

do you think shrooms could maybe help? its like my damn brain defaults to thinking these negative things.

I've done shrooms before, and I think it helped me with depression/anxiety, but that was long ago, and the depression was much lighter.

Bump please, as I am considering taking mushrooms again (did not take them after posting this original thread)

Whats feeding my depression is that my cognition isnt what it used to be. Also, I get irritated frequently. I feel as if I have some dopamine deficiency because I crave the high I get after exercising, and video games seem to be the thing I enjoy the most.

I want to give shrooms a try, but I don't want to make my MDMA LTC worse. 15 months into LTC losing some hope.

Like the person above said, maybe try microdosing for a week or two and see if that helps. It might be better than a full on trip to reset some things in your brain. Maybe not?

I think whether mushrooms can help your LTC is kinda up to you. They can either make it better, or worse, or the same. It's all in your mindset, and how well you deal with whatever happens during the trip.

I am really skeptical of microdosing myself but a lot of people rave by it so it can't hurt to try.

Are you the guy who posted a thread about taking 2 or 3 pills in your entire life? Might be wrong and can't be bothered to check right now but if so that really isn't a "binge".

Either way though 15 months is long enough for any "physical" neurological changes to correct themselves, what you need now is probably not drugs, to be blunt, but some kind of therapy. Have you tried seeking any?

Also, standard questions to people who complain of vague symptoms like those you are experiencing:

1) How frequently are you exercising?
2) What's your diet like?
3) What, if any, activities are you participating in which stimulate you mentally?
4) What objective indications do you have that your cognition isn't what it used to be?

Honestly I feel like you've partly answered your own implied question already:

db1995 said:
I crave the high I get after exercising, and video games seem to be the thing I enjoy the most.
So, the solution is obvious, no?

Exercise more, and play video games less! No disrespect to anyone who is a big fan of video games, but they are largely a displacement activity, potentially a form of escapism, and not likely to impart too many transferable benefits to your life except getting better at the games you're playing and allowing you to forget about your problems for a while.

Really, I think that any hallucinogenic trip embarked upon with the hope that you will cure anything is a recipe for either disappointment at best or disaster at worst in the vast majority of cases.

Along with changing your diet, doing some hard cardio, and getting into a regular sleep pattern. Once you've done those things LSD and Mushrooms *could* help with your depression. Be ready to face your inner demons.

A year or something ago i purposely took magic mushrooms several times on a time span of 2 months for the exact reason as to try and lift up my general mood. It did, it it did this way better then any "antidepressant" ever could do for me. But keep in mind i wasn't heavily depressed, although i feel as if i where more heavily suffering from depression it could've still helped me with that. TBH Why not give it a try if you can? I mean studies have shown it could help the terminally ill in accepting their demise so chances are good it'll help you with your depression.

Why do I get depressed 3 hours after shoom use?

As a last resort to suicidal depression, I started taking shrooms... heroic 5g+ dose sessions on occasion starting around 3pm after duties were completed. Tried morning daily micro-doses of 0.5g as well in order to treat my depression. Worked quite well; mood was greatly enhanced. Recently after about 3 hours of dosing any amount, I would feel the onset of really bad depression again. Why is that? Do I have to constantly be micro-dosing while I am awake for my condition? I have experienced a Traumatic Experience a year ago. My mild depression turned into rapid-cycling manic depression. I believe I am suicidal. Had been abusing Opiates for past year. Anyone experience positive results after PTSD and micro-dosing shrooms for 6 months to 1 year? It would help a lot if someone had a similar experience of theirs to share. I would cheat and take an opiate with my shrooms after the onset of the depression. Or if I knew I would stay home for sure, I would take a benzo sometimes. I know. So bad since the initial trips intuitively let me know about all the poisoning I do to my body from processed food to all the bad drugs.

Last edited:
For your opiate lapse, how many shrooms did you take? I'm in the same boat and heard they help tremendously

To db1995 my experiences with Psylocibine mushrooms started in the period I took MDMA in halves 4 times a year. My last one 5/ 6 years ago. This one and the 2 before were for about giving me a significant boost in changing my way. Hopefully a nice anti depressant afterglow like I used to have.

I have had numerous experiences on shrooms that left me glowin for a long time and brought insight during.

Somehow be it related or not after abusing MDMA, almost weeky, my trips seem to have changed I feel letargic and I get unpleasent side effects, mucus build up being the nr 1. The afterglow and brighter outlook vanished. I get the same reaction with aMT btw.

And although my last trip involved half of a full dose, so 7.5 gr fresh truffles I think. The effects were unpleasent, but bearable the duration is more forgiving as aMT luckely. But as the effects disappeared no residual mood boost turned up.

Never tried mini or micro dosing. But I can see a possibility there for the aMT or 5-meo-dipt I have laying around. No don't think tryptamines are for me yet.

Hi chachabangbang,

You replying to my post? When you say my opiate lapse, do you mean lapse as in break or my relapse in the sense when I said I cheated and took one pill when the bad depression came on suddenly in the evening after what I believe to be the shrooms wearing off? I did take a huge dosage break from opiates. I was going on a crazy ass bender like I would have no regard for my health and take like 7 percs in 2 hours or take like 6 oxy V10s in like a 5 hour span and I was like 1. what the hell, I'm not physically addicted but my utter lack of regard for health and safety I don't give a damn because I feel no passion for anything I used to be passionate about anymore and how I'd be better off never waking up again. 2. the cost $ was ridiculous for the opiates and i would justify by saying, I'm still on my bender.
Then I took the terrance mckenna suggested minimum 5gram dose and I had an experience where I "cried out" some of my emotional pain of that depression that was on a permanent loop in my mind everyday for over a year. I took 2 percs in 2 days and I have no more and don't have anymore to take tomorrow and have no desire to buy anymore. Don't take this the wrong way, the shrooms give me diarrhea by clearing all the toxins from my body and I can't stop the diarrhea without taking 3x T3s each day. I take gravol for the neasea. Was in public today and 0.5g my vision got so damn blurred and nauseous that I had to take 3xT3s and 3x gravol. It worked out. They didn't notice I was messed up after I re-adjusted; thank God. Passed my written test with 90% score today because I wasn't worried about getting the answers wrong but rather, "if I'm wrong, then so be it" was the positive attitude I had.
But I think I understand it more now, shrooms any amount for me and my depression are directly related to the events I perceive to be positive or negative that occur to me each day. I am an "empath" and empaths seem to be Manic Depressives from my own experience that is which again I believe was triggered by a really bad tramatic experience last year. I'm just extremely sensitive to events and emotional experiences that I experience each day like punches in the stomach and getting the air knocked out of me or vice versa the Manic part where I feel very few limitations. Not only do I visually notice the subconsious body language of pain given off by another person when they are emotionally hurt, I can step into their shoes and feel their actual emotional pain myself if I choose to I've noticed.
I just hope the shroom treatments I'm giving myself does re-wire my brain (as they say) after 6months-1 year for the better. I'm still getting depressed everyday for about half the day.

Last edited:
I need help! 10 days after micro-dosing shrooms in the morning to treat my depression, I felt great. Got a great new job from a great interview, prospects of further professional upgrading opportunities in the coming year. But today I micro dosed the shrooms and at 4pm I wanted to kill myself. I'm so fkn depressed. Change is depressing. Good change, bad change, previous bad traumatic memories, all depression felt so intensely through conditioned human existence from the Buddhist viewpoint. I want to use opiates and harder shit right now to numb shit out. I'd IV if someone offered; it's that bad right now I don't know why or what to do. I am anti-psychiatry school and anti-antidepressants.

Last edited:
Hi Opi Kid Rock. First off it sounds like you are in a really dark place. However from what you say your life has lots of potential - you just got a new job and there are new possibilities opening up. I wouldn?t give up the opportunity to see where that takes you. People have tremendous capacity for change and if you put the work in you can find a way of being that makes you happy.

The first think I?d do is take a breath and remember things can get better. If that doesn?t work try going for a walk or a run to centre yourself. I?d try and find someone to talk to about this who isnt online. What?s your support network like, family, friends ect?

Judging by what you say you have now got to the point where your drug use is doing you more harm than good. Both mushrooms and opiates. From my experience both with myself and others opiates do very little good for you in the long term (but it sounds like you know that). Mushrooms can be beneficial if used in the right mind set and physical setting. That means knowing what you want to get out of it and having someone on hand to talk to if things get rough as well as ensuring that your mental state can cope with what you are doing and being in a safe and comforting environment.

Particularly pertinent I think here may be that you are going in from possibly a bad place, with no supports to talk things through (I could be wrong, I?m making assumptions sorry). Are you using mushrooms to escape or to find out things about yourself and accept them? Can you talk to your feelings with someone when it goes wrong. I know you said you?re not interested in psychiatry (and for the most part I agree with you as they tend to pathologise), but what about therapy? All that really is, is talking through your issues with someone in a safe space, much like you are doing here.

Finally, and you probably don?t want to hear this, but if you are manic depressive then psychedelics could well aggravate the condition. I have a friend who has pretty bad bi polar, and it?s not a great place to be - manic delusions and hallucinations giving way to crippling depression. I?d recommend a spell of clean living if you can to stop that from getting worse. Because if it does you may well end up seeing a psychiatrist and go down the medicated route one way or another.

Sorry if this sounds tough. I?m sure you have good reasons for feeling what you feel and doing what you do. There is no judgement here. Just want to help. Really hope things get better. Big love!❤️

Is this something that happens often, getting really depressed to the point where you need to numb out and/or kill yourself? I can understand being anti-antidepressant, but honestly, therapy can be a really good thing. It's just trying to find out why you feel the way you do (you mentioned you have no idea why). I've seen it help a lot of people. I've seen it not help, too, but that pretty much boils down to the individual therapist. Some suck, some are great.

I just made a post describing my first LSD experience that I think might help you make a decision. Check it out if you'd like.

As of today since my first post in this thread. I have been feeling like a completely different person for a duration of over one week in terms of reduced depression. I have been microdosing Shrooms everyday and it is like my psyche has forgotten the emotinal feelings associated with a particular past tramatic experience. It could be placebo because life has been improved in certain small ways while keeping really busy. But I do not feel the constant emotionally shocked feeling associated with that past experience, just like it says in shroom or psychedelic literature regarding unblocking re-occurring emotional thoughts. I will describe it like a sort of relief from a type of acute pain that was there and is no longer there or nowhere nearly as strong. Time will tell as I continue to micro-dose. I thank all the members for the encouraging advice, different points of view, and overall concern. Sincerely.

OKR

Last edited: