• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Marijuana & Xanax withdrawals

Funtela

Greenlighter
Hi guys. I apologize for my first post here being a question. I just don't know where else to turn for the best information about this. I'll try and make this short and to the point.

I've been addicted to Xanax for the past 4-5 years. Maybe longer.

I had it prescribed for anxiety a while back and the tolerance just increased from there. It got to the point where I was taking 6mg three times a day. No, that's not a typo. 18mg a day.

Anyways, I've been trying to stop taking them all year. I stopped cold turkey and ended up having 2 seizures in a month. They would always prescribe me 0.5mg-1mg after leaving the hospital so I can ease off of it. But that would never work. I would end up taking them all in a couple of days. I've gotten myself down to 1mg a day. But I'm still scared of having another seizure.

I started smoking this year as well to help me out with the withdrawals. Don't get me wrong, I love weed. But sometimes it just makes me freak out. Right now is the perfect example. I smoked about an hour ago and it just got my palms sweaty and my heart racing. Right now I'm only taking 0.5mg of Xanax every other day. Today is my day off of it. So the paranoia is not helping when it's telling me that I'm gonna have a seizure. I'm sure it's all mental, but it's still terrifying. At first I thought it was the strain, but I've been smoking the same strain for the past 2 weeks.

https://www.leafly.com/hybrid/pineapple-kush

I know it's a sativa dominant hybrid, but it's never given me anxiety and paranoia like that.

My main question is: Will marijuana prevent the seizures? I really don't want to have another one. It's been a while, but it's still scary. I don't mind dealing with everything else.

You shouldn't be detoxing on your own call a friend or go to the hospital where you will get free drugs until you are better

IME, weed and benzo WDs are a bad combo. It seemed to amplify the symptoms and make things worse. I would suggest ditching the weed and doing a slow and steady taper. You will probably get more feedback on dealing with benzo WDs in one of the recovery support forums.

Wouldn’t you think that it depended on the strain?

More on the person and what they're suffering through than the strain, I think.

What you describe when smoking, though, that right there is rebound (or snapback) anxiety. It's totally normal with benzo' WDs, and marijuana is one of those drugs that operates throughout the whole spectrum of anxiety: in one person, it can cause a panic attack whereas for another person it can cure a panic attack and, yeah, different strains can totally have varying impacts on your anxiety levels.

I have no idea if marijuana has any effect on preventing withdrawal-related seizures, though. Are you comfortable asking your doctor that question?

Wouldn’t you think that it depended on the strain?

Not really.. maybe low THC strains might be less intrusive, but I think THC is the center of the problem when smoking while going through benzo WDs. THC is the main active ingredient in all strains, despite what websites like leafly claim, having a different blend of terpenes with similar levels of cannabinoids(primarily THC) isn't going to have that big of a difference.

It's similar to wine and alcohol. Wine tasters will tell you there is a difference between aged wine and all the different blends, but to the untrained person the differences will be minute.

More on the person and what they're suffering through than the strain, I think.

What you describe when smoking, though, that right there is rebound (or snapback) anxiety. It's totally normal with benzo' WDs, and marijuana is one of those drugs that operates throughout the whole spectrum of anxiety: in one person, it can cause a panic attack whereas for another person it can cure a panic attack and, yeah, different strains can totally have varying impacts on your anxiety levels.

I have no idea if marijuana has any effect on preventing withdrawal-related seizures, though. Are you comfortable asking your doctor that question?

Not with benzo WDs. I was smoking heavily when I had a grand mal seizure from benzo WD. Maybe for some, but I don't think it is effective at preventing seizures related to benzo WD.

Lol I remember reading an article a couple years ago, that was talking about how most of that is bs.
Ot: Benzo withdrawals are killer.

I wouldn't rely on weed to prevent seizures and I smoked constantly through my withdrawals. If it's causing you anxiety, I would probably drop it because the rebound anxiety alone is horrible. If you do decide to keep smoking, I would at least try another strain. It might not be a huge difference, but I can to this day remember one strain in particular that just didn't sit well with me and almost gave me a panic attack, but that was just one strain and one time out of years.

Try and get a script of diazepam (Valium) or if diclazepam is legal where you are, go for it. Good luck.