• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

What to use for alcohol withdrawal - Other than chlorodiazepam

blackstorm

Bluelighter
Hey,

I have posted about trying to get off alcohol a few times before...

Its not a drink or 2, its a serious issue with seizures involved when I tried myself.

First - I am not trying to buy drugs here, I got a warning before when asking, I just want to know what I can do to prevent a seizure - I tried the hospital and have been in numerous times and now unless someone calls that Im in a seizure, I'm pretty much f**ed.

I did detox a few times, including in the hospital, I told them ( And they know ) I have a past of it happening and the amount of librium rly needs to be increased because of the amount of alcohol my body is used to, I had seizures in the hospital even when I asked for more just to be stable, Im not a benzo user at all but I know both work in a similar way.

I cant afford a private clinic and now the hospital has pretty much given up on me.
I had extreme DTs in the hospital the last time ( A few weeks ago ) and I was put out the next morning.

Im in the UK so it is free health care so I was pretty surprised they let me out when the night before I was hallucinating that there were people dancing infront of me on the wall, including homer and marge simpson and I could hear the music.... Im serious and I told them.. Funny to think of it but its clear it was DTs as I never have anything like that normally.

Im really just wanting to know if there is anything to help alleviate the physical / mental symptoms trying to come off myself.

This is harm reduction... Im not looking to get high at all, just stay alive.

Thanks for any help

Last edited:
You can’t just go it alone blackstorn. Looks like that stopped being an option a while ago. We have lost people “trying” to get the GABA away. The booze, the benzo’s, it gets insanely complex. Look at yourself in the mirror. Its your choice to change. You have the gift of time. We just have to stop. This shit gets old. Ive been there. Im here.

So you want to do it yourself, at home?

I detoxed at home from alcohol. I went to ER, turned out to be a booze induced panic attack. I thought I was dying. They sedated me, and sent me home with a script for a generous supply of Librium.

Do you have street sources? Librium is the go-to. I would think most benzos would help, but some are more effective than others. I’ll let you do your research there, but you might be limited as to what you can find on the street.

All in all, I’m not aware of any over the counter meds for a serious alcohol detox. I was a raging alcoholic for 10 years. So I’ve been there man, I know exactly what you’re going through.

I don’t feel comfortable giving you a plan, or real advice as to exactly what I think you should do. This is potentially a life threatening detox, and I’m not a doctor.

But benzos are where I would focus my research. If you need more than what you could get in the hospital, then source enough accordingly. If you can source a shitload, the dosing is in your control. It’s good that you don’t have a history of benzos, because you immediately want to walk away from them when the detox is over.

Good luck man. When you make it through this your life is going to be amazing. You’ll feel 10x better, physically and mentally. After I quit booze, every aspect of my life improved to an amazing degree, and I was on top of the world. Until I re-discovered opiates a couple years later. Now my life is a heaping pile of shit.

Thanks for the reply :)

Blackthorn.. its storm (I don't know why lol ) but yeah, I am a thorn for some people, that's why I have to do it alone now, I don't want to bother people :p

Believe me... I have looked in the mirror many times. Its not me that I see.

30 and feel like crap inside because of this but pretending to be ok and totally functioning on the outside to everyone apart from people very close to me that know.

In all honesty, I don't have a clue what I am expecting to get from posting this.

I went from 2 bottles of vodka a day to nothing in around 2 weeks using clomethiazole (Heminevrin). It is legal everywhere AFAIK but I don't know where I would buy them now (this is 14 years ago). Unlike librium, it means you don't crave alcohol. Beware, it is the drug that killed Keith Moon. It is without doubt a godsend for people serious about stopping but don't just swap 1 addiction for another. For a few months everything in the world will be loud, blight and generally intrusive (no sea of ethanol for reality to swim through). Keep a diary. Write down a list of why you are stopping. Make a list of what you lose, what you gain. Then just keep trying. Librium is a poor emolument when compared to clomethiazole, but it at least helps some. Oh - and don't be surprised if doctors refuse to script you an alcohol dehydrogenase inhibitor, too hazardous in their own right, I am given to understand.

doesn't matter. You're never a failure as long as you try to get up.
Evel Knievel

So if you fall, you can still win if you turn back around

This is ridiculous. If this scenario has indeed played out the way you say it has, then I would venture to say that the medical facility in question is guilty if malpractice. I'm completely at a loss, because this is not something that can be done safely at home. Alcohol withdrawal itself is a condition that requires medical attention, but Delirium Tremens is a life or death situation. I highly suggest you go to a different hospital. There is something that is not jiving about this story.

Sounds like your case is serious enough for phenobarbital but that's not a medication a doctor is going to give you if you aren't being monitored 24/7.

Blackstorm, if the hospital won't admit you (which is by far the safest thing to do), it is frowned upon in some circles to even mention this, people have been tapering off alcohol using alcohol probably since alcohol was first discovered millennia ago. Here's a page I found useful about tapering and I have done so several times when I have run out of my Ativan script: http://hams.cc/taper

That said, I can't stress how much I would encourage you to seek medical help. I'm just posting the info about tapering using alcohol as an absolute and I mean absolute last resort.

Blackstorm, I'm going to echo what sharlito said because I've been that alcoholic too. I commend you for making the effort to stop drinking but I don't think it's a good idea to try this on your own. You really do need to be monitored especially considering your history. Things can go downhill fast.

I used to frequent a hospital near my home and after a while, they quit taking me seriously. Is going to a different hospital out of the question? Give that a try and they ought to help you. One thing is when you do go, don't tell staff how much of a certain medication to give you. That tends to sketch them out. Let us know how you're doing and when you're ready, check out our Sober Living forum. Take care.

Yeah, I know I posted already, but the more I think about it, the more I think you should not do this at home.

When I posted last night, I didn't feel comfortable giving you specifics of a plan, but now I don't feel comfortable even implying that this is a good idea to do at home. Even though I did it at home, I did not have DT's, and apparently I wasn't considered a seizure risk (at least from what I remember, this was over 10 years ago... I don't recall the details of every conversation I had with the medical staff)

Long story short, I retract my advice about the research and sourcing of street benzos. Find the next closest hospital. Find somewhere where you can be monitored.

Please give us an update when you're able to.

You have a couple of different options as I can see,

First even if you thought the doctors/hospital has failed you I would still take advantage of the free health care, sure it will be hard at first to kick it but if you can just push through and follow these peoples guide lines they are in your life to help you but help doesn't come easy with a bad habit remember that.

Second option is a obvious one you can try to weeze off and take it slow cutting each drink back so you're body doesn't fail on you but replace each drink you kicked with water or juice high in vit C because vit C has been proven to prevent brain damage. Also personally I would start taking B vitamins so you're body actually has more energy to function, also remeber to eat when taking these so the vitamins can convert the food into energy. As for the seizures I had them mainly in my sleep I found that upping my magnesium intake stopped most of my stress when trying to kick the habit all together. Bottom line just try not to re-lapse and don't replace one addiction with another that will probably be worse then the one you have now.