• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Butrans Patch Question to Avoid Precipitated Withdrawal. need Help!

reninpain

Greenlighter
Hi,
First let me say I'm a new user, but longtime reader, with no clue where to post this and I'm not exactly in the state to be able to figure it out, so sorry! Some history is that I've had lower back back problems consistently for about 6 years from a herniated discs, in that time have had two micro-discectomies and a fusion. Also have a cervical fusion from a car accident when I was 17, I'm 35 now..if that matters.
Anyway, I finally buckled and had the fusion April 2017 and recovery hasn't gone well, probably not any better off than I was before surgery. So, since I've realized I'm probably not going to recover I've been super depressed and on high levels of Oxycodone since the surgery in April (around 100mg-200mg per day). I'm only prescribed 50mg, and the rest I buy off the street. I'm out of money, not able to work and need to stop this. I've supported the habit because I had a really successful career before all this happened. Basically I was a super-successful young woman, bought her own home at 30 and my life has basically stopped, can't work, can't have normal relationships, it sucks big time.
I'd love to get off the drugs, but they do help. At least I can go to the grocery store and do things around the house when on them, so recently I've been considering trying a combo of the Butrans patch and the Oxy to see if that can help me cut down on the oxy habit. Does anyone have any thoughts on that? Do you think Butrans could help at all with how high my Oxy habit has been?
Right this second I ran out of my Oxy and can't get any more at the moment. I have an old Butrans patch in my drawer (I tried them last year and they helped but weren't enough). Unfortunately it is one that I had applied for one day and then removed, so I'm not sure if it will do anything. My main question is if I can apply it right now. I took 15 mgs of Oxy at 9 am and 5 mgs around 1 PM, right now it is 10 PM. I don't want it to send me into precipitated withdrawal, but I am definitely in withdrawal right now - runny nose, sneezing, tearing, restless legs, yawning, anxiety and overall feeling of complete shit + extreme back pain. I'd like to put it on now and try to get some sleep and see if it could help me feel any better in the morning. Please let me know if anyone knows if this is long enough to wait. I feel like it is, and I don't even know if there's anything left in it, but I'm scared to make things worse. Help.

You'd probably be okay to take it about 12hrs post your last dose of oxycodone, particularly if you take an IR version, but what did your doctor suggest? I'd go with how he or she tells you to day it.

Also I'll move to this OD, you'll probably get better feedback there.

SL->OD

Thank you! I ended up putting it on late last night, but it doesn’t seem to be doing anything. I don’t know if it will work because I had opened it previously. They’re not prescribed, it’s leftover from an old script. My primary won’t prescribe them, says she’s not licensed, and wants me to go to the pain clinic, but I can’t get an appointment there until January.