• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Clonazepam/Klonopin To Shroom ratio? First time mushroom trip Question.

Questionnaire

Greenlighter
Hi, I wanted to try mushrooms at least once in my life and I'm going to within a few days.

But I'm also old and don't want to suffer.

So I'm wondering, from someone who has experience, roughly how many MG's of Clo would kill how many grams of shrooms? (A general answer is fine) in case of a bad trip?

Some details: I have high tolerance to Clo, 4mg of clo to me, is like 1mg to someone who has never taken it. I plan to take a small dose of shrooms, 1.5g. Weed sometimes disagrees strongly with me, I think it has something to do with how it drops your sugar levels. Not sure if it relates to mushrooms, but it might.

So the above is my general question. Reading anything beyond this point is just extra info:

Should I dose some clo BEFORE shrooming, just so I'm sure to have no anxiety while I get to have a taste of what shrooms are like?

I don't mind a mild trip, and I don't mind having it reduced, I just want a taste. I'm going to be doing 1.5g, I think. Just enough to get a taste, not enough to go over the deep end (according to most people) however, there are rare people who are extra sensitive. I'm also going to be using lemons so that it kicks in faster and I can maybe get less sick. Also gonna try not eating for a few hours beforehand.

Since I've never taken it, I want to be safe no matter what.

So young people who still believe "Don't ruin the mushrooms man! You NEED to suffer through bad trips" can go enjoy suffering by themselves because I'm not interested in that advice. I'm old, I've had enough suffering to last an entire lifetime, and I'll abort whatever the heck I want to.

I also have seroquel on hand if that works/helps. Though I've heard taking the anxiety away with a benzo might be smarter than trying to outright kill your buzz with an anti-psychotic. Plus seroquel makes me feel horribly strange.

If you're anxious about the trip, I'd take some before hand. Just a couple mg to take the edge off though.

As for how much you'll need, its hard to say. Too personal a question. Imagine you were having a panic attack, and needed to kill it. Take roughly that amount if you need to kill a trip as well

Thanks for the advice. Yah, it depends on my mood. Since I have a day set aside, I can't rely on waiting until I feel good or bad or etc. I'm taking them at such and such a time no matter what, kinda thing. So I appreciate your advice.

Someday's I feel fine and am looking forward to the experience, other days I am a little anxious about it, so there is no telling how I'll feel on the actual day I take them. Figured having an exit strategy was a good idea.

Hi and welcome :)

- I don't necessarily think that there is a linear ratio of clonazepam:mushrooms to take, the dosage to take the edge off may vary a little depending on the dosage of mushrooms but probably not even close to proportionately.
- Your tolerance makes it extra hard to give a meaningful answer here, and everyone reacts differently: for me clonazepam is one of the most impactful benzos, it really zonks me out heavily at modest dosages compared to many other ones.
- I do agree with taking the dosage you would take for killing a panic attack, but as for pre-dosing I wouldn't take more than 1 or 2 mg even with that tolerance. Taking 1 mg a while before taking any mushrooms may be okay cause the come-up of mushrooms ramping up to the peak can be more anxious than the rest of the trip, I'd try to save the rest for when it may be really necessary because it is quite easy to take so much of the edge off that the trip mostly stops being interesting IMO. It also kind of depends on what price you are willing to pay for a decent trip cause it is hard to have it both ways... maybe just try to keep that pre-dosing as low as possible and even if you feel like you should add a little during the peak keep it limited and try to accept it as part of the deal / price to pay.
It's not about 'needing to suffer' or anything like that - but you might end up having to make a choice just because it can be a bit mutually exclusive. Abort what you must, but keep the pre-loading low if you wanna have a chance of tripping rather than a buzz.
- Take the clonazepam sublingually or as a tincture / alcoholic solution if you want it to work quickly.
- If you are a habitual user of the clonazepam, take that into account with the preloading so that you are not even a little bit withdrawing or anything.
- Weed is also just anxiogenic, and I would suspect blood pressure and how it balances with heartrate etc rather than any sugar levels - I don't think it relates to the mushrooms in these regards (other than the anxiogenic part) or you'd have to be more specific.

Try not to take the mushrooms with a head full of buzzing thoughts (apprehension is normal of course) but try to clear that a bit by meditating on forehand and letting it resolve on it's own. Meditating doesn't mean 'try not to think of anything' but it does mean stop actively getting involved in your own thoughts, take a step back and just observe. Something like that can be a difference of light and day before blasting off on something like DMT but also mushrooms for me.

Safe journeys :D

Thanks for your advice Solipsis. The reason I mentioned the sugar drop with weed is that it causes me to white out, if I smoke without having eaten a good meal I almost always get sick, which I think is because of the blood-sugar drop caused by weed. I could be wrong though, you may be right that it's blood PRESSSURE and/or heartrate, that sort of thing. The other thing that makes me suspect blood sugar though is that sometimes weed gives me the shakes.

From the best I can gather, this doesn't happen if I'm well fed before I smoke.

Anyway, thanks again for your thorough reply.

Having low blood sugar does indeed indirectly makes you more sensitive just like many other things hit harder on an empty stomach but I really don't think cannabis affects blood sugar via a direct effect. But yeah it's rather the blood pressure change and in addition the effects on your senses. And finally, anxiety can contribute to feelings of dizziness, vertigo and the whiting out too.. which i guess you are prone to.
Don't know about the shakes though, I agree that does sound reminiscent of blood sugar related and I also am not familiar there.
Especially when feeling a little weak it's good to be sitting or lying down when smoking weed and to start with a very small quantity when you aren't used to it. The difference with how much you can handle - and might remember smoking in the past when used to it - is major!

It's good to be well fed when taking the mushrooms too, though this does not mean so short on forehand that you still have a full stomach. Be certain that it has passed already, but you'll want to have that energy and protection from the weakness we feel when we haven't eaten enough and do something demanding. :)

Cannabis can make you more sensitive i think to orthostatic hypotension, but with mushrooms i remember there is something different - more like vasovagal syncope (>> results in fainting), not all that common but it happens occasionally. Quite a different phenomenon though!

P.S. a reason to take care with mushrooms though may be that people tend to get 'rubbery legs' on it.. harmless of course, but you wanna be prepared that it can affect your stability, stance or gait.

take care friend

Last edited:
Does Klonopin even necessarily dull a shroom trip?

I'm pretty sure I've taken them together before and I don't know if my trip would have been stronger without the Klonopin.

IMO the question is: how reliably or dose-dependently is a trip dulled. IME it is ultimately inevitable, never heard of anyone who can take as much of a benzo as they want and trip just as strongly but it would be interesting to hear experiences and opinions. There are threads here about attenuating a trip all the time and the consensus is generally that while benzo's don't *kill* a trip (which makes sense because the effect is indirect unlike blockage of serotonergic receptors like with many antipsychotics and some other psychiatric drugs), they can slow it down to the extent that it is not really too anxious or threatening anymore but also typically gets tame.

On another note, zopiclone has been able to reduce the effects of 5-MeO-DMT so that I required a lot more of the drug and that is a pretty selective drug and relatively speaking a minor anxiolytic.

I find the the presence of pretty much any benzo, for me, takes some things away from the experience, such as visuals, even headspace, but that is just me. So, having a benzo on deck is fine, but try without if you can. I really try to avoid having the longer half-life benzos out of my system for a day or two so as not to interfere. Like I said, I prefer the anxiety and come-up, knowing that generally, you will be fine, but we are all different. I tripped for a couple of decades without the help of any other substance, sans weed or a few beers, and I found it to have a purity about it that gets blunted by certain compounds. And I was doing some pretty heroic doses back then, say, 400 to 800 ug of L. Life altering experiences, they were, at least many of them. As I get older, even doing it less often, I cannot get back to those places I visited back then, but still have splendid experiences. I keep a few benzos kicking around for an emergency, but rarely ever use them. One exception is that because I can sometimes be interrupted during a trip, by virtue of a crisis or communication that I have to deal with, and have greatly diminished the effects of the LSD so I could accomplish something important. Another legit reason to have them around...