windows 10 and EDM making progran

skydroid

Greenlighter
Hi.

I run Win 10 on a laptop. I've always wanted to make EDM. can anyone suggest a program that i could readily learn and also make decent beats? Thanks.

Ableton is good - nice pro software with moderate complexity.
Fl Studio is really good for allowing you to make beats straight away, brilliant for begginers.
Reaper is free, and has a slightly steeper learning curve.
Cubase - good but very complex. The geeks choice.
Logic - a middle ground, kind of on par with ableton but for osx.

Last edited:
Reaper isn't really good for making beats. It has a step sequencer but it is not great. Its more a traditional cheap DAW. You might get more mileage using some sort of VST in Reaper. As a recording DAW its probably just as good as Pro Tools or even better due to stability.

I'd mention Maschine. Maschine is pretty much a DAW or beat making studio. MASCHINE MIKRO runs pretty cheap. Even the Maschine app for iOS I found decent tbh.

Fruity is good although I wouldnt really want to use it as a DAW. Martin Garrix made Animals in it so? I think you could probably use it as a DAW but traditionally no.

Ableton a lot of people use, but I found it to be not really intuitive. Time to break out the manual for this one.

Logic/Cubase/Reaper/Pro Tools are pretty much solid DAWs for recording. I would say wait for these, although Reaper is a great option because its free and or really cheap.

If you want to learn how to make beats I'd suggest learning how to play acoustic drums. Nothing really opened my mind up to how drums work and basically once you start learning acoustic drums everything starts to make sense in terms of beats. Not to say I'm an expert or something but after delving into it I can basically analyze any beat and program it given enough time.

No ones really mention propellerhead Reason? It’s a full package with almost everything you need. Looks difficult but isn’t really once you get to know it. Works like a virtual rack system.

Reason is a bit expensive for an entry level DAW. Arguably Reaper might serve better because free VSTs are readily available. Maybe it makes sense since they probably toss in tons of samples and VSTs.

good info above ^

i'd like to add...

It ain’t what you got, it is what you do with what you have. You could take a tape deck and a motherfucking record and you could make the baddest track tomorrow. These motherfuckers sitting up here with million-dollar studios ain’t making shit and I'm sure you hear it all day on the radio. That is something for y’all to think about and just take heed. I'm not saying y’all got to believe everything I do because I make a lot of mistakes, I've made a lot of U-turns and I made a lot of wrong way avenues down the wrong streets and I'm blessed to be here, truly blessed. I ain’t going to sit here and show my tattoos because I ain’t got no motherfucking tattoos on my body. Every hole, every bullet, every knife in my body, Detroit city gave me enough motherfucking tattoos on my body. I’ll be damned if I’ll pay for any of that shit. And I ain’t going to take my shirt off and show you all that shit. Again, it ain't what you do that is how you do it. OK?

http://www.redbullmusicacademy.com/lectures/moodymann-henny-and-kenny

One of the things with Fruity is that you can't really edit or use audio tracks with the $100 dollar version of Fruity. So basically its just a really easy to use step sequencer.

KOMPLETE AUDIO 6 is something worth checking out because it comes with Cubase LE. Add in a cheap midi controller and you have a rock solid beat making machine.

Maschine isn't really a DAW, it's more of a drum machine/workstation. I've never heard of anyone strictly using just Maschine as a DAW.
I'd say start out with FL Studio, it has the smallest learning curve. Then read up on music theory. the basics. things like chord progressions and stuff like that. root keys...
But yeah, don't look into cubase/logic/pro tools as your first DAW.

You might not believe but I have never had the opportunity to try it. Do experts still use it?

Its widely used in EDM. Professionally as a DAW? Depends. Its not Pro Tools. But then again Pro Tools is more used for recording. I'm guessing you can use FL as a vst within another DAW as well so the line gets blurred. Its like, "Oh Maschine isn't a DAW!" Well, I've made tracks entirely in Maschine. Its got everything in there. Its got a mixer window. And if shit starts to get weird you can just use Maschine within a DAW.

Use what you like and what you can afford. Its better to be making music then worrying about what DAW is the best.

FL Studio is what I'd recommend. Like Ableton there's so many resources online. SeamlessR has a lot of good stuff on youtube & Busy Works Beats is another good channel.