• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

"When does it become too much?" discussion thread

The Network

Bluelighter
I know this has been discussed at one level or another a million times, but I'd like to start an in-depth discussion about when cannabis use becomes unhealthy or starts to descend down a slippery slope that is highly likely to end unhealthy. Of course I don't just mean asthma or headache unhealthy, there's social and mental health as well. ALL psychoactives are very capable of interfering with all aspects of mental and social health, including career progression, social life, etc. The question then becomes, what complex guidelines can we set as a general rule for people to help them make better choices. Of course this doesn't go for everyone, some people become lazy sacks on a gram a week (probably a predisposition) and some people, like my friend at work who was just promoted, can go through a half ounce or more in a week very casually and are still highly functional and have great social, physical, and mental health. But then again he's young so it could change.

What do you think? I'm curious because I think a thread would help other people, and I'm at a point in my use where I need to make an educated decision. I've started becoming daily but I'm at a point where it's absolutely no worry to lighten up or stop, but I'm failing to see many reasons myself.

Currently I have 2 part time jobs although one is only a few hours a month, I would like to grow that so in the future this could all change. But for right now I have a huge part of my day where I don't have to do anything. So I don't see what's wrong with throwing on a movie and getting high to enjoy myself a bit more, or to relieve stress after a long day at work. But if I'm already feeling fine maybe it'd be better to keep myself off at least a day or two a week.

I think this question sort of answers itself. When does cannabis use become an issue and start having negative effects on your social life, etc.? When it starts interfering with your career and social life.

There's certainly no amount we could agree on that will trigger those sorts of changes. While frequency might provide some insight it doesn't mean any real interference is happening (e.g. if I do my job better high I wouldn't consider that interfering).

So I think it's going to hinge on your definition of interference, which is probably going to end up bringing in all sorts of ideas about the self if you want to get really specific about it. Like, what are the limits of your behaviour such that if you transgress a boundary because of weed, you'll consider it negative?

For me, I know it's become too large a part of my life when it's all I think about, if I define my personality by my cannabis use or spend almost all my money on it. So essentially most of my history with cannabis up until the last two years, I would now consider abuse. It's weird having cannabis be a thing I do once or twice a day without rambling about it to everyone I meet or fiending for it like 20 minutes after I just dosed simply because I like the act of preparing and smoking it.

For me, I know it's become too large a part of my life when it's all I think about, if I define my personality by my cannabis use or spend almost all my money on it. So essentially most of my history with cannabis up until the last two years, I would now consider abuse. It's weird having cannabis be a thing I do once or twice a day without rambling about it to everyone I meet or fiending for it like 20 minutes after I just dosed simply because I like the act of preparing and smoking it.

That's a good point. I like talking about it a lot but I find it an interesting subject, I personally don't talk about it a lot because I'm constantly thinking about it, but because I want to learn all there is to learn about it.

I've considered this same question for the last few years as well. I am lucky that I have a pro-cannabis doctor whose fearlessness of the drug is nearly addictive in itself.

I have removed all limitations from my oral dose and after freely dosing myself for the last two years I have stuck with pax 70mg 2 x a day. I've run up to over 500mg daily combined and down to 40mg. My daily activities seem the best guideline. If I'm looking for a creative problem solving headspace I use more. If I'm actively learning new skills I use less. Since its hard to divide life into 12 hour long periods of similar tasks I have settled on an average.

I have reduced the amount of smoked weed to only evening or weekends as I get couch potato brain from smoking, despite the amount being smaller when I smoke it does feel much higher.

When you ‘have’ to smoke just to feel better about oneself or life situation. Smoking should be a reward for a satisfied life not medicine to cope with dissatisfaction. I’m guilty of this... I need to get high to cope. Weed should be the cherry on top, not the ice cream itself

When you ‘have’ to smoke just to feel better about oneself or life situation. Smoking should be a reward for a satisfied life not medicine to cope with dissatisfaction. I’m guilty of this... I need to get high to cope. Weed should be the cherry on top, not the ice cream itself

Although if used under the supervision of a competent doctor I believe daily and even heavy use can be a life-changing thing for people. If your doctor just says "here's a prescription go buy weed and use it" that's different, but if you're talking to them about how much you use and side effects and all that on a regular basis it's the same as any other medicine IMO. I know some people with things like crippling depression or severe pain have had to do that, although I have to say while it clearly provides them relief usually they're not up and all cheery ready to take on the world and work a construction job at home or something, they're still at home on welfare often. Which would suggest it's either not a perfect cure or maybe it's still affecting their life negatively in a way, but definitely living without horrible suicidal thoughts or intractable pain may be worth being less motivated or a somewhat foggy mind, depending on the person, of course some may not have that at all.

To me it's when it comes into conflict with your motivation to further yourself in life. That's happening to me at the moment, and I'm trying to cut down my use until I get on the track I so desire to be upon.

To me it's when it comes into conflict with your motivation to further yourself in life. That's happening to me at the moment, and I'm trying to cut down my use until I get on the track I so desire to be upon.

Good point, life should definitely always be about moving forward, mostly making an effort to and sometimes actually managing to. Even when you're retired you still want to read books and have the best night of your life possible and all that.

still want to read books and have the best night of your life possible and all that.

Read books... best night of your life....

At first I laughed, but then I thought about it and now i'm just over here like

giphy.gif

I've been reading Redshirts by John Scalzi the past few days. Fucking hilarious, man. A good smoke, a good book and a 12-pack of good beer is the perfect winter combination.

Although if used under the supervision of a competent doctor I believe daily and even heavy use can be a life-changing thing for people. If your doctor just says "here's a prescription go buy weed and use it" that's different, but if you're talking to them about how much you use and side effects and all that on a regular basis it's the same as any other medicine IMO. I know some people with things like crippling depression or severe pain have had to do that, although I have to say while it clearly provides them relief usually they're not up and all cheery ready to take on the world and work a construction job at home or something, they're still at home on welfare often. Which would suggest it's either not a perfect cure or maybe it's still affecting their life negatively in a way, but definitely living without horrible suicidal thoughts or intractable pain may be worth being less motivated or a somewhat foggy mind, depending on the person, of course some may not have that at all.
Excellent point. I live in the states, in a state that doesn’t even tolerate medicinal use. But I see your point- if I used under the supervision of a doctor, I could always be giving feedback on my symptoms and adjustments could be made.
Whereas in my state, I’m sorta left to the whims of my dealer and the strains they have available. Don’t get me wrong my dealer is a very knowledgeable older lady, but she isn’t a doctor.

Here is my list but the truth varies for everyone...

-You begin or start acting like a stoner, not that this is bad but it is usually the first sign
-You have too many dealers
-You only hang out with others that smoke weed or are willing to
-You are gaining a reputation in circles because of your use. Ex. (work, school, social life, maybe you hang at a common weed spot) (I knew I had to slow my roll because old friends from school were telling on me).
-Possible trouble with the law or being with people that may carry that consequence
-And my final one, how thin is that wallet of yours getting?

Excellent point. I live in the states, in a state that doesn’t even tolerate medicinal use. But I see your point- if I used under the supervision of a doctor, I could always be giving feedback on my symptoms and adjustments could be made.
Whereas in my state, I’m sorta left to the whims of my dealer and the strains they have available. Don’t get me wrong my dealer is a very knowledgeable older lady, but she isn’t a doctor.

This was really the key for me, finding a pro cannabis doctor with knowledge of the drug and previous client experience. I consider my twice daily oil the equivalent of aspirin. Once you realize the fear you've had (I had) has no basis in reality results improve, paranoia disappears and for me I cut my amount by 75%. I can still smoke if I want to feel stoned after a long day but now I have a dopamine response from achievement and it has reversed my life. I guess I should be glad that I am one of the people that has great long term results from daily cannabis use.

I smoke weed all day, never is enough but it isn't required.

It becomes too much when you start railing heroin, can't get the fuck out of bed and feeling like you are burning alive. Thinking of switching to the needle to suffer less as there is a sense of logic to it, that inevitably backfires but you're used to fucking everything up at this point and are practically possessed by a spirit with malicious intent. When you don't even recognize your face in the mirror anymore. Risking your life to feel normal and not the worst you ever felt. Taking 3 weeks just to begin to feel normal again, of fucking straight up suffering of sheer intensity. Then having a devastating relapse 2 months later and fighting through withdrawals that come on so hard and fast before you know it getting out of bed on time is a seemingly impossible challenge let alone holding your job. When the drug stands before anything else in your life, that is when it becomes too much. When you find yourself broke and it is 5 years later and you don't want to think about what happened because you are seething with rage at the extent of the self deception, and manipulation, and selfishness.

Smoke the herb if you enjoy it smoke it as much as you'd like, figure out what works for you, and you're golden like nice shatter. It ain't gonna hurt ya mane. Just don't do heroin the oxy's are when shit started to really hit the fan for me :)

Having a lovely day smoking bong rips on a solid dose of 2c-d. Happy fuckin new year fellow hardcore stoners. Time for some more bong tokes.

At my age I am surrounded by people looking backwards at their lives. It is not uncommon for people to ascribe years of stagnation (defined by their own goals and desires) to their pot smoking. Who knows? Maybe it is convenient to ascribe it to pot but it's pretty common so I'm assuming there is at least a kernel of truth. I quit for other reasons for most of my child-rearing and working life so I have no idea. basically I went from a person that did not know how to live in an unaltered state (my teens) to a person that couldn't tolerate being in an altered state at all. I have to say, I appreciate both epochs of my life for what they taught me and I advocate for everyone that they experience their own unaltered bodies and minds over long periods of time.

My almost 30 year old son recently had to quit daily (nightly actually) smoking for his job working with refugees in Greece. When he came home, I assumed he would start back up but he said that he felt so much more motivated and clearheaded that he is going to take a very long break and has no thoughts of starting back up at all. He also said that he recognizes now that he was trying to block out his brother's death to a certain degree. So, I'm happy for him. But I would never expand anyone's personal experience with any drug to a one-size fits all prescription.

In my 20s and 30s i smoked way to much...high all day long....now i just smoke a little in the morning and sometimes during the day....i have a medical card.....i would consider it abuse back then but now it help wirh many of my health issues