• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

How bad is my heroin addiction?

Hollywood528

Greenlighter
So I have dabbled in drug use for the last 11 yrs. typically smoking pot daily, in my teens I developed a love for pot, booze and pain pills, I called it the trifecta. I always managed my drugs with productive aspects of life, I graduated as salutatorian in my class in high school. I then went on to college where I was deeply depressed doing pills daily. Eventually getting academically dropped. I bought a house at 19 and worked two jobs to pay my mortgage and my habit. I squandered the money I had saved my whole child hood on pain pills. I got over my problem and for the next few yrs would do pills only when I fell into them. Probably once a month. I didn’t go seek them out. Now I have tried nearly everything, gone on a binder here and there with some stimulant, or find myself with some shrooms or acid. And still regularly smoke pot.

I always joked I would never try heroin because I would like it too much. Stimulants never got me off like opiates did..... well needless to say I tried heroin. I knew myself too well. What used to be once every other week is now daily. Like if I don’t see my dope dude that day I feel like somethings wrong. Minus the last week, I’ve probably done dope everyday for the last three months, dabbling for a yr. I’ve once again squandered all the money I had saved... about 20k. I now have $100 to my name, a credit card is maxed out. I have never used a needle, I only snort it. I feel I am at the brink of disaster, peering over the edge. So I ask how bad is my addiction? Can I get clean without medical help? Do I have the willpower to not score? What recommendations can be made to help me not buy dope?

I appreciate everyone’s input.

You are more capable than you know friend.

According to the DSM5 you qualify for severe opioid use disorder. If you want to know more about how such diagnoses are made just ask. Please understand that I am not a doctor and this isn’t an official diagnosis, but for reasons I’m happy to go into you sound like someone who would qualify for the severe category of opioid use disorder.

You mention getting clean without medical help. What do you mean by this? What is “medical help” mean to you?

Recovery, especially early recovery, can be really challenging. Personally I do not believe anyone can succeed in recovery long term without the support of others. Connection and how we bond with each other is at the root of addiction and substance use disorder, and learning how to bond in healthier ways and creating the social capital and connection humans need to thrive are central to recovery IMHO.

Do you like to read books? There are some really good ones out there that can help you understand what you are going through.

And I’ll say it again, you already have everything you need within yourself. It’s just about you learning to access the, for lack of a better word, inherent goodness that is your core. It might have been covered up with the shit involved in heroin addiction, but it’s still there nonetheless.

All it takes is the willingness to try. If you just keep trying, explore way not just of recovery but of life, you’ll get where you want to be (although where you think you want to be now may be different from what you end up discovering for yourself). It’s is truly just a matter of try, try, try again. If you fall, pick yourself up. Learn to rely on people who are safe and supportive and healthy. It isn’t easy to find such people while you’re caught up in the heroin lifestyle, but they’re out there, just waiting for you to discover.

Thanks for your response! I understand you are not a medical professional but I do value your opinion! What is this dsm5 you reference? How many levels of opiate disorder are there? I’ve been strung out on pills before, but this is so much worse to cope with.

I used to read a lot when I was 14-16 before I started doing drugs, I’m 26 now.

Basically like a week and a half ago I ran out of money, so I was forced to realize how serious my problem is. I made it two days without, which was so painful, but then my dude text me. Like he thought something was wrong he hadn’t seen me for two days bc that’s how routine I was/am.

I’ve tried to tell a couple close friends to try to force credibility.

In regards to medical help.. I mean like go to a dr to get a scrip for something. We have a methadone clinic here but I feel that is a racket! It’s just substitution. I did get a few norcos, and have access to some promethazine, klonipin, and gabapentin(I hear that can be helpful??) to help kick. My boyfriend and I are both addicts. He always like uppers but has health issues so he couldn’t do them anymore. I always liked downers. He actually brought me heroin first, then we just started getting it more and more and then he started doing it too.

So I don’t know what I should to kick. Like I used to think I could recreationally do pills and things. Like on occasion and still maintain a functional lifestyle. That I was some exemplary drug addict, because I have good credit and maintain employment. I thought I could do that with heroin too. But now if I kick like I probably shouldn’t ever do it again? I can’t just casually do it.

The DSM5 is the diagnostics and statistics manual. It describes most of the currently accepted mental health disorders.

It's currently on its 5th version, hence DSM5.

You can try and get off heroin cold turkey, but I've had the most sucess I've ever had with methadone. And in general I'd say that substitution therapy, methadone and subuxone has been responsible for most of the sucess stories I've seen.

It can be done cold turkey and various other ways. Everybody is different so it's hard to say what the best option for you is.

You might have the will power, I don't know. But in my experience most people try and fail with lots of different methods before findi something that works. ive found most of the time that something is substitution therapy like methadone or subuxone. Not always, but more often than not.

But I'm speaking from a perspective where most of the people I've seen have been hard core IV heroin addicts like me. It's possible less extreme users might have more sucess with other methods for sobriety.

It's up to you. I've seen almost every method work for someone, and fail for someone else.

As for how bad your addiction is? Well it's not the worst. I've spent way more money and probably done way worse shit than you have and I'm not the worst of the people I know. I'm not sure how much it really matters though. The question isn't how bad your addiction is, it's is it bad enough to warrent getting help. And in that sense it sounds like you know the answer is yes.

It's not easy, I wish you luck man. And I wish I had better advise. In my experience the problem isn't getting clean, it's staying clean. I've seen lots of people get clean a lot of times using almost every method. But almost all wind up using again eventually. Truth is there isn't a method I've seen where most don't wind up using again, which is likely because it's not about how you go about it but rather about if you're ready to be clean yet. And many will want to get clean long before they're finally ready to stay clean.

It's not easy. I wish I had better advice I truly do because I know how hard it is. But I'm not sure what else to suggest. It's good that you haven't tried the needle yet. Once you do things often get a lot worse real fast.

Very very few people can functionally use heroin in the long term. But almost everyone tells themself they can. Almost everyone thinks they can be the exception, and they are almost always wrong.

What is Opioid Use Disorder?

One of the best things you can do to empower yourself in this is to learn about what you're dealing with. We have a LOT of resourced for this in the SL Directory, just scroll down to the Eduction section and explore the various links.

You could spend months learning about what you're dealing with, tools to help you turn your obstacles into opportunities and explore what recovery means for you personally. What do you want your recovery to look like? What goals would get you there, short mid and long term? And then how would you achieve your current goals? Just want to get you thinking.

Here is an explanation of opioid use disorder. Basically it is a checklist. Opioid use disorder is now defined in terms of mild, moderate and severe. If you check off six or more boxes, you qualify for a diagnosis of severe opioid use disorder. If you only check off two boxes, you have mild opioid use disorder, and between 3-5 means moderate opioid use disorder. I'm just guessing, but I imagine you'll check off six or more boxes just from the info you've already provided here. Anyways, here is the info: https://www.bmcobat.org/documents/r...f+Diagnostic+Criteria+Opioid+Use+Disorder.pdf

Recovery as a Developmental Process

The mid to late 20's is a great time to get sober. The vast majority of people with substance use disorder "age out" of addiction in organic ways around their late twenties/early thirties. I can attest to this myself. As I've put effort and resources into my overall development, as a friend, colleague, professional, and recovery figure, it all has become much much easier. I started exploring recovery in my early twenties, and it probably took me about six years of trial and error mostly listening to other people's self serving advice (trusting people who work for rehabs to provide you unbiased information about addiction and recovery is very messy) before I figured my shit out.

I'm just trying to say that now is a GREAT time to start thinking more about putting more substantial resources into your own personal development. If you cultivate a healthier lifestyle, integrating healthy habits into your daily life, recovery becomes much more accessible. And as you continue developing neurologically and physiologically in your late twenties (the human brain continues to develop into the thirties for most people) learning to engage in healthier, more skillful decision making becomes more accessible.

I always assumed I was an adult when I turned 21. I was always so depressed thinking about how I hadn't achieved any of the goals I though I wanted for myself during my early and mid twenties. When I learned that, no, one doesn't actually become an adult until (for men) about 32 (it's a little earlier for women I believe, but of course there is plenty of variance), that helped me feel more at peace with my situation. For better and worse, where I'm at today is where I'm at today. Being able to accept that and be okay with where I'm at now despite it not being what I thought I wanted once upon a time, acceptance makes changing more accessible.

Tools for Recovery Worth Exploring

I'd strongly suggest you explore the section of the SL Directory devoted to treatment (it's the first section).

Most people (drug users included) understand very little about evidence based clinical substance use disorder treatment. The reality is that, for someone with severe opioid use disorder, you're like to benefit most from integrating some form of ORT, long term outpatient support (3-12 months), individual therapy and wellness or recovery oriented peer support.

ORT is opioid replacement therapy, using buprenorphine or methadone. It is a horrible name because it isn't just replacing one drug with another. That is an important part, because part of its value is that you replace unpredictable, unregulated often adulterated highly ILLEGAL black market substances with a LEGAL, safe, regulated, and standardized medicine.

Honestly the best thing about ORT IMHO is that it allows me to live a lifestyle that doesn't revolve around breaking the law. What led me to methadone, which was what ended up working for me, was getting arrested a number of time. I couldn't deal with the highly illegal and stressful nature of the heroin scene any longer, especially considering how it exacerbated my mental health concerns.

Another HUGE benefit of ORT is that, once you've stabilized on the medication, you are able to pursue the other work you need to do on yourself to address the issues that lead you to self medicate/use drugs like heroin. You don't have to worry about getting high, cravings (when managed properly) aren't an issue, and you can just focus on making progress on your underlying issues.

Just think what it would mean to be able to put all that energy and resources you're currently devoting to using into healthier pursuits, because you don't have to worry about where or whether you'll get your fix - that's removed from the equation and you can just focus on getting healthy.

As you make progress on you underlying issues (for me it was most anxiety and social phobia, with some depression and PTSD complicating things a bit), you will be able to taper off your opioid replacement medication. Most people seem to be successful using ORT for 6 months to 3 years, although some people benefit from longer term use as well (it is very individual, based on personal need).

Eventually you'll get to a point where you're stable enough without the drugs, and then you can detox (and detoxing, when managed properly, is not at all as bad as the horror stories you hear - it's just a matter of having the right knowledge and resources to comfortably manage your transition off ORT, and there isn't any mystery as to its done, it's just that a lot of doctors don't know shit about substance use disorder or ORT).

Chipping

I'd ask, what attempts at getting sober have you made? Chipping is weird. Some people are able to chip and live productive lives. But for the safe of your own wellbeing it is best to assume you are not one of these people. I mean, if you're interested in trying chipping, I'd go for it. Try it out, but be real with yourself how it affects you.

Generally people who ask whether others think chipping is viable are not the people for whom chipping works out very well...

I've experiments with chipping myself numerous times over the years. What I finally discovered, the realization that got me to realize chipping wasn't a viable option for me, is that after just one dose of something like heroin I'm left in a weird funk for about a week. In terms of my mood, even one small dose of heroin will fuck it up for days and days following the one off use.

So I discovered for myself that chipping isn't viable, because my responsibilities in life prevent me from taking the time off I'd need to recovery from chipping. The only kind of drug use I can safely and healthy engage in is maintain use and SAM (single administration module - stuff like iboga and other enthogens).

It's like once your body has really become heavily dependent on opioids, it's just really hard to chip. Your body recognizes the input of exogenous endorphins (opioids are like endorphins) and immediately starts preparing and compensating for the tolerance it expects if you were to continue using. The body learns and adapts, and after it has really gotten to know dependency, it's really easy to fall back into it with even just one or two uses. So, like I said, while chipping is possible it isn't something you should assume is viable for you.

But if you're curious, I say try it out. It's you're recovery and your life, no one else's. You have to learn, figure things out and make up your mind for yourself.

What matters most is what you feel like you need to do for yourself. If you feel like you need to chip, try it out. But if it doesn't work out as well as planned or continues getting in the way of your managing your responsibilities and achieving your larger life goals, be real with yourself about it.

If you try chipping, and it doesn't work out, I'd highly advise you to consider an outpatient IOP buprenorphine program or methadone. I benefited more from methadone, because it is a lot more effective at controlling craving (buprenorphine helped for a time, but eventually it didn't do what I needed it to). I also preferred treatment with methadone because it is highly regulated. There are lots of restrictions and controls on use, and clinic rules - while a huge pain in the ass sometimes - they help develop a more mature and responsible attitude IME.

If you are just trying to detox, we can help with that, just let us know if that's what you need help or info with.

Relationships in Addiction and Recovery

So much can be said on this topic, but I'll keep it shortish...

Being in a relationship with someone who is also in active addiction is really hard. I don't want to really comment on this, because I have nothing positive to say about it. One's individual recovery is challenging enough - having to do it in a relationship with someone else who is also struggling has the potential to pay off big time, but it also has the potential to crash and burn. I see relationships like that crash and burn far more often than succeed long term.

Where to Go From Here

But whatever we can do to help you achieve your goals as you define them, that's what we want to encourage. Doesn't matter what the goal is, we primarily are interested in you finding a sense of health self-confidence, explore the liberative and empowering experience of co-regulating with health people in safe environments. If we do anything, I'd like us to help foster a sense of independence and can-do, because you are capable of more than you know right now. Heroin use makes it really difficult to see things clearly.

So I've basically given you enough material to explore for months if you went through all of it (I don't expect that, but I do hope you explore it to some degree as you educate yourself). We want to encourage an empowered attitude for you because, other than resiliency, recovery is all about learning to advocate for yourself. But both resiliency and learning to advocate for your own needs is at the heart of a life of recovery. Doesn't need to be perfect, just moving in the right direction - that being, the direction of more personal and social health, in a word, the direction that fosters healthy connection.

A growing number of professionals who work with addiction don't see abstinence as the opposite of addiction, but connection. Connection is the opposite of addiction. What might the implications of this be in your own situation Hollywood?

A lot of people benefit from peer support. There are lots of options for peer support in recovery communities (12 step stuff, refuge recovery, smart recovery, etc), but there are also lots of wellness oriented groups, like MBSR and the mindfulness community. But finding some kind of peer support that helps you foster healthier habits and ways of being in relationship with both yourself and others, that's really instrumental and helpful in establishing and maintaining your recovery.

Requesting Your Feedback

If you answer any of the questions I've posed in this ridiculously long post (sorry, verbose is kinda my middle name when I get into it like this), I'd like to hear more about where you want to go with this.

What do you want, in life and regarding your drug use? This question is too rarely asked, yet it cuts right to the heart of the matter.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love the verbose nature of your reply, thanks! Truly. I typically consider myself of moderate intelligence, however I don’t quite follow you when you reference connection being the opposite of addiction and what implications that has on me personally. Can you please elaborate?

In regards to your final question- I just want to be happy and financially secure. I got a new job this yr that seemed great! But it’s a small business and the owner is a sexist jerk who will probably lose the business within two years because he over extends himself fiscally. So i’d Like to get a different job once I have been there a yr. I used to do pills and stuff on the weekends on occasion, that’s how I started doing heroin. If I could have stayed to that it would have been fine. Clearly I didn’t have enough will power for that. And i bought a new house which also happens to be like a half mile from my dopeman. So it’s just so terribly convenient which makes it more difficult.

How long have you been clean? How long did you do methadone?

I’m perusing some of the material you suggested and will comment more in abit. Thank you for your feedback.

I love the verbose nature of your reply, thanks! Truly. I typically consider myself of moderate intelligence, however I don’t quite follow you when you reference connection being the opposite of addiction and what implications that has on me personally. Can you please elaborate?

In regards to your final question- I just want to be happy and financially secure. I got a new job this yr that seemed great! But it’s a small business and the owner is a sexist jerk who will probably lose the business within two years because he over extends himself fiscally. So i’d Like to get a different job once I have been there a yr. I used to do pills and stuff on the weekends on occasion, that’s how I started doing heroin. If I could have stayed to that it would have been fine. Clearly I didn’t have enough will power for that. And i bought a new house which also happens to be like a half mile from my dopeman. So it’s just so terribly convenient which makes it more difficult.

How long have you been clean? How long did you do methadone?

I’m perusing some of the material you suggested and will comment more in abit. Thank you for your feedback.

These videos/sites will help you understand the connection being the opposite of addiction thing:
http://www.addiction.mobydigg.de
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ao8L-0nSYzg
http://www.stuartmcmillen.com/comics_en/rat-park/

I discovered opioids in college back in 2006, and used them to self medicate my mental health issues for give or take ten years. I've been in recovery in one way shape or form since 2010. I've maintained my sobriety and refrained from illegal drug use that leads to headlessness for, gosh, coming up on four years in February I think. That isn't to say I haven't had some close called. I nearly died last year in a sort of freak lapse following the death of a family member, but I bounced back immediately and my will not to use has never been stronger as a result of tasting death (my heart stopped for like two minutes).

I'm not a huge fan of counting days, I'm more interested in just living in more authentic way. For me personally, I think a search for authenticity has always been at the heart of my process in recovery. What I'm interested in is figuring out who I want to be, what I stand for, and realizing it professionally. Recovery for me is about life far more than it is a question of using or not using drugs. My recovery focused on healthy versus unhealthy behavior, including but not limited to the harmful use of certain substances.

I was on methadone for 2.5 years. I spent the first year around 80mg, then taper over the following year and a half down to 14mg. During that time I became very involved in the secular mindfulness community in Los Angeles, primarily thought the Mindful Awareness Research Center (they just gave me a full scholarship to their trained mindfulness facilitators program, so excited!) and Against the Stream. I also dabble in Refuge Recovery. I was very active in my recover through these three groups throughout the time I was on methadone, volunteering facilitating mindfulness meditation groups at my methadone clinic even.

Actually when I got off methadone I detoxed myself properly (using codeine for three days to transition to buprenorphine for a week, with diazepam, clonidine, gabapentin and trazadone - very comfortable and manageable detox) and then did the Refuge Recovery outpatient program to stabilize in life without taking methadone (their IOP is 90 days). It was helpful to keep me safe during a vulnerable time in my recovery, but honestly I find the "abstinence only" style of treatment very unhelpful.

While some of their treatment philosophy isn't my cup of tea, I was still able to take what I could benefit from their program - honesty what I benefited most from was just having a lot of time to learn and practice meditation with other likeminded people. Being able to take the good and leave the bad is a sign of progress in recovery for sure.

Anyways, recovery for me involved abstinence from harmful behaviors. That includes but isn't limited to drug use, but it doesn't apply necessarily to all drug use. After discovering CBD I am kinda in love with that (the cannabis is just too strong for me I guess, and I really prefer the effects of a good 21:1 CBD to THC concentrate). But there are certain drugs I just cannot allow myself to have anything to do with, like heroin or cocaine.

I did allow myself to get "hooked" on kratom last summer, and I've been taking it to deal with the transition to the graduate program I started this fall. Today is actually my first day without any kratom in months and months. Like when I came off methadone, it's a lot easier than I'd imagined it would be.

The way the mind can play tricks never ceases to amaze me. I'll be writing up my notes in a recovery journal tomorrow after I get more settled in (our winter break just began). I'm so excited that now I have the time to focus more single-mindedly on my health while I get off kratom. I've been planning and waiting for this for months now.

I'm looking forward to hearing more about your goals. It sounds like heroin use would be problematic in terms of financial and legal issues if I reach your post correctly. (sorry, I just happened to be listening to this song while I was reading your post ;)) It's healthful to make a pro's and con's list for how heroin and opioid or other drug use affects you. It's important to recognize the benefit you derive from something like heroin use, because no one uses something like that with "good reason" (good reason meaning the drug use addresses something in the person that needs to be addressed).

By recognizing what the drug use does for you that is helpful, you can find and explore other, healthier means of meeting that same need so the drug use become less necessary or attractive. It can be a slow process, but it all boils down to developmental stuff and learning to rely on healthier means of regulating you mood.

If you have any questions about treatment options, please ask away. I don't even want to begin to explain how much experience I have with what I call the "recovery industrial complex" %) I'm very pleased with where I have ended up today, but, god, so many wasted years... but like I said, it's all about learning - and with awareness of how the mistakes play out, making mistakes is a most efficient way to learn.

Perhaps I am too proud, but I really don’t want to go to a methadone clinic. Like it’s all in my head. Like just don’t buy it- don’t do it. It’s really a simple concept, it shouldn’t be so perplexing. I feel if I really want to I can do it. I mean physically it seems it will be moderately unpleasant but that is only temporary. I believe you are referencing this as “chipping”, we made it two days then split a gram on one day then made it two more days without. Then basically “relapsed” if you can consider those few days as a recovery, and did it for a week regularly. Then made it a day without and then scored. But we will be forced to go five days. But if we can go five days we probably just should not get anymore and be done. My problem is an inability to make a clear plan. Always rereasoning and justifying why I should or how I am going to do it.

I am getting a stained glass set for Christmas which I used to make stained glass boxes and trinkets in high school so that will be a productive hobby for me.

I checked out the dsm5 chart and definitely checked off 8 boxes. I’m glad I never used a needle. From what I’ve been reading from other ppl on bluelight and such I feel when ppl are at a place similar to where I am they either get clean or start banging. We have needles with my boyfriends health issues. But I’ve never tried.

I'm not sure relapsing is possible without a sustained period of recovery, so I wouldn't worry about that.

I totally hear you about not wanting to do the methadone thing because of all the stigma surrounding it. That's totally valid. That same concern kept me from trying it until I'd basically tried everything else. Then getting arrest a number of time made me realize, I need to do something about this, and methadone maintenance was just clearly the most appropriate choice is my primary goal was to abstain from engaging in illegal behavior.

Perhaps you would be a better candidate for buprenorphine from a private doctor. Again, being in a structured outpatient program is really important. Medication can be a huge aid in recovery, but alone it is rarely enough. So you may need to swallow your pride to a degree, as far as group or structured outpatient programs go. It's part of the price one pays for "treatment" I guess.

Due to the stigma surrounding methadone (even if it's bullshit), people tend to try buprenorphine before trying methadone. This actually probably has more to do with there being less restrictions on buprenorphine than methadone, but stigma surrounding methadone also plays into it. The downside to buprenorphine is very much related to its upside to - with less oversight there is more freedom, both in terms of healthy and unhealthy choices. With the restrictions surrounding methadone it is less possible to use the medication in ways other than prescribed.

Your assessment of where you're at, the point between getting more enmeshing in addiction or getting more devoted to your recovery, it sounds accurate to me.

I really want to encourage you to listen to your gut (your "heart"), not your head (mind). The most pivotal moment in my recovery ways when I realized I loved what opioid did for me, and that there was nothing inherently wrong with that - it didn't make me a bad person. Coming to that realization, I don't know, something just flipped like a switch in my head and it became easier to focus on my recovery - and by recovery I mean personal, familial and professional life.

Injecting, well, it definitely won't help you situation. You'll expose yourself to more health complications than I can account for in this post. If you do go down that road, you'll have a lot to learn and you'll have to learn it quick if you're to avoid serious issues with your health.

But I have a feeling, if you can get in touch with what you're heart really wants most, it ins't going to involve injecting drugs. I doubt it will even be drug related. I believe our heart naturally inclined toward connection.

If you can get in touch with your intuition, I really encourage you to go with that. You know the saying, follow your bliss. Whatever that means, try it out. Recovery is first and foremost about exploring your options in how you want to live you life. It's up to your to discover what works for you. All you need to do is be kind and gentle with yourself and never let yourself give up :) <3

I guess the pro of doing it is that I like the way it makes me feel. But it’s like Guns N’ Roses- I used to do a little but a little wouldn’t do it so the little got more and more.... it makes me feel less on edge, wittier, and quicker at my job and more creative. The cons are it’s terribly expensive, surely physically detrimental, I’m physically dependent on it. I haven’t ever really considered the legal consequences, I just assume I won’t get caught. I realize that’s incredibly stupid to think. But just saying I had always figured I’m safe and smart enough to evade authorities.

I’m aware my relationship is volatile, probably part of my motivation in doing drugs, even before the heroin my boyfriend is emotionally abusive. We’ve been together for seven yrs, two of which he was in jail for. But he got out and got a job and stayed true to his word and things were fairly good for awhile. I have consistently managed our household and been incredibly loyal and supportive to him. Then Three yrs ago he was diagnosed with renal failure due to rare genetic disorder, which progressed. This yr he started dialysis which has made him incredibly depressed. I have tried to take him to therapists and such but he isn’t receptive as he must be the one who wants the therapy. Much like I must be the be who doesn’t want to do dope. He won’t talk about the addiction with me. I want to talk about it to get through it and he acknowledges we are strung out, but he won’t converse with me about it. So it’s just frustrating. Like if we worked together it would be more helpful.

I don't know where to begin with your relationship. It sounds like it is incredibly complex, and sounds very difficult. So much to deal with there. I'll ask another staff member to check in with you about it, as I think she'll be able to give you better feedback about such issue than I'm capable (she is much more experience in life than I).

With the legal stuff, if you continue using, you will eventually end up having to deal with the legal status of your DOC. It's just a matter of time. It might not happen for a long time, but if you continue to engage in the scene you'll get caught up sooner or later. It's just the name of the game when you're dealing with highly illegal drugs.

You sounds like a perfect candidate for ORT to be perfectly honest. I really identified with what you said about the pros and cons of using. Speaking only from my own experience (and we are all different, so take anecdotal stuff like this with a grain of salt always), I didn't find anything that satiated my desire to self medicate with opioids until I discovered methadone treatment. Like I said, buprenorphine was really helpful for a time, but it was really the methadone program that allowed me to stabilize.

Do you have friends or family who know whats going on and are supportive (or who you think would be supportive if you came out about this stuff to them)?

Thank you! Excellent advice... spoken with raw real wisdom. I need to come up with something here.

No problem, it's my pleasure. Sooner or later you'll figure yourself out. It's just a matter of time, effort, etc. The more you invest in healthy lifestyle habits, the easier living the way you want to live will become. Think of what you do for your recovery as investing in yourself.

If your username is a reference to living in LA, there are lots of good recovery resources in this city. If you're interested lemme know here or pm me and I can give you some info on various recovery communities and treatment options.

I’ve been leery of methadone not only for the social stigma, but before I did heroin i would occasionally abuse methadones too. How does buprenorphine work? My mom knew I casually used awhile ago, but once I got in deeper I led her to believe i had stopped. I told my two best friends the extent of my addiction and that I wanted to try to kick. I was hopeful that would help me not use.

You can learn more about buprenorphine by exploring the appropriate section in the SL Directory. The main difference between methadone and buprenorphine is that buprenorphine is a partial agonist/antagonist and methadone is a full agonist. In short, opioid agonists get you high; opioid antagonists prevent you from getting high. It's more complicated than that, but practically speaking that's the basic info.

You know Narcan/naloxone? That is a full opioid antagonist, and it's used to bring people back from OD. There is also Vivitrol, which is a time released version of another opioid antagonist called naltrexone - this is used to prevent people from feeling the effects of opioids if they use them, as the naltrexone will block the effects of opioid agonists. So buprenorphine shares a similar property in terms of antagonism with naloxone and naltrexone, but because it is also a partial agonist it can also help with cravings more than full antagonists (opioid antagonist do nothing in terms of helping with cravings).

Buprenorphine has such a strong binding affinity to opioid receptors, if you take buprenorphine while other opioid agonists are in your system, the buprenorphine will out compete the opioid agonist already in your system, dislodging them from your body's opioid receptors, sending you into what is called precipitated withdrawal.

Because of it's high affinity/action as a partial opioid antagonist, buprenorphine will block the effects of most opioids when used at normal doses. This means if you try taking heroin after you have taken buprenorphine, you won't feel the heroin (unless you take a ridiculously high dose to break through the blockage effect of buprenorphine). Breaking through buprenorphine is dangerous though, because it requires such a high dose of opioids, you end up risking OD.

Methadone is a full opioid agonist. Agonists are the ones that make you feel good. Methadone is far and away superior to buprenorphine in terms of controlling cravings. High doses of methadone will also block the effect of other opioids, similar to buprenorphine in a way, but by a different mechanism (high doses of methadone - generally around 80mg - saturate your body's opioid receptors to the point there isn't room for anything else to bind to them).

Buprenorphine really only helped me with cravings to a small degree. In my case I used it off and on and it worked great for cravings and getting a little buzz as long as I didn't use it every day, but once I started taking it daily through an IOP maintenance program I would only be able to feel it's partial agonism if I potentiated it with other drugs (and the drugs necessary to potentiate it have undesirable side effects). For the first month of taking it daily it helped with cravings, but after that I'd need to potentiate it for it to really make any difference with my desire to use.

With methadone I got exactly what I wanted (needed) from opioids, without the hassle of illegality or the dangers of the blackmarket. It was also way more economic (insurance covered the entire cost of my treatment; if I didn't have insurance it was still far less expensive than the side of my them moderate to severe heroin habit).

For smaller habits it is probably better to try buprenorphine first and see if that words. Buprenorphine is less regulated and there is more freedom for the patient in how they want to manage it. But for more substantial habits, methadone is going to be a more effective treatment (assuming it is a well run methadone clinic, as there are shady ones out there, although most are reputable), both because it is more structured in terms of treatment supper and methadone helps satiate cravings more effectively than buprenorphine.

Something that will probably end up being a priority for your is establishing a support system. Doesn't need to be necessarily related to drug use or recovery, but people you feel safe being transparent about what you're dealing with and what you need help with. People you can co-regulate with, folks you care about who also care about you in turn. This kind of thing is necessary not just in recovery, but life too I'd say.

My two friends are supportive for me to get clean. They don’t do drugs and are positive influences, persay; and I reconnected with an old friend from high school who really has things going for her. If I told her I feel she would do something and I don’t think I want that drastic. I feel like I can keep it under wraps. My other good friend who doesn’t do drugs had a husband who was a heroin addict and was pretty awful-pawned her wedding ring, stole kids medicine to trade for dope, stole a car and multiple TVs, any way she finally separated from him(she knew I casually did heroin) any way he was visiting to watch the kids while she was going to work and he od’D in her bathroom. I was like her primary person of support at the funeral and around the time. Her family had kind of abandoned her for sticking with him so long. Like i went into the funeral with her and her kids first. I stood with her daughter when she spoke at the service.... and I thought that would be a more sobering experience for me. Sadly it wasn’t. Now I feel I can’t tell this friend how bad i am as it would crush her.

Well, perhaps you can explore recovery oriented peer support groups. There are a number of choices these days, so you're not just limited to 12 Step stuff, although that is still the most accessible. Finding people you can be safely transparent with who won't judge you or treat you like some thieving junkbox, people you can co-regulate with, doesn't matter who they are even - could end up being the person who makes your coffee for you at the local cafe, who ever.

At least it certainly sounds like you've been around the dope/drug scene long enough to want out. Certainly sounds like you're ready to get out of the game.

It's time for me to sleep, but I'll check back in here tomorrow.

Well, perhaps you can explore recovery oriented peer support groups. There are a number of choices these days, so you're not just limited to 12 Step stuff, although that is still the most accessible. Finding people you can be safely transparent with who won't judge you or treat you like some thieving junkbox, people you can co-regulate with, doesn't matter who they are even - could end up being the person who makes your coffee for you at the local cafe, who ever.

At least it certainly sounds like you've been around the dope/drug scene long enough to want out. Certainly sounds like you're ready to get out of the game.

It's time for me to sleep, but I'll check back in here tomorrow.

So I randomly was thinking about bluelight and remembered my posts from a couple years ago. And I just wanted to say that am proudly SOBER!!! I been so for about a year and 4 months. When I made my initial post about my heroin addiction I was only at the brink of my rock bottom. I ended up getting arrested 3 times...twice in the same week in fact and I did end up filing bankruptcy. But life is so great in Recovery. I do go to a methadone clinic. I dosed to 90 but have tapered to half currently. But life is so great. Thank you for commenting and providing insight years ago.

well done!!! good to hear you're doing well.

just be careful, you are not out of the woods yet, i have been in recovery nearly two years and have come close to relapse several times very recently (including yesterday). be vigilent, keep putting the work in, staying off heroin is a job for life.

well done!!! good to hear you're doing well.

just be careful, you are not out of the woods yet, i have been in recovery nearly two years and have come close to relapse several times very recently (including yesterday). be vigilent, keep putting the work in, staying off heroin is a job for life.
[/QU

Thank you! And yes...it's just one day at a time for me. A healthy fear of relapse helps keeps me sober. Along with just realizing how life really can be great sober. I spent all of my adult life twisted on one or multiple substances until I completely crumbled and the clarity I have in sobriety is so enlightening. Good luck to you as well! Stay strong!!! This is a crazy time we find ourselves in.