• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids How much promethazine to potentiate 50 mls/mg methadone?

skydroid

Greenlighter
Hi im sorry if this should be elsewhere or if its previously been answered i cannot find a specific answer in the other related threads. Basically, i have been on methadone for several years now and no longer use illegal opiates. My methadone only last about 12 hours though and im finding im Jonesing through the night especially if i sleep during the day. I have read a lot about phenergan (promethazine) being used as a potentiator so i have ordered some from an online pharmacy...(56X10mg). I live in UK and the pharmacy has suspended delivery into several consignments ( I have yet to receive any), im guessing they must be aware of misuse if they are doing this. How many milligrams should i take on 56mls/mg methadone each day? Can anyone provide me information as to whether this has helped them and what the buzz is like and if it will make the methadone last longer than 12 hours? Appreciate any feedback thanks.

How much methadone do you take? 1mg/ml?

BTW, hydroxyzine is a FAR better potentiator, it has no anti-cholingergic effects(for practical purposes) is a very potent H1 antagonist/inverse agonist, a very effective anti-emetic, and has sedative/hypnotic effects at proper-doses(some even report mild-anti anxiety)

And, if IIRC, it is OTC in the UK(unlike US and most places, where it is RX only:(

Promethazine, sure, it’s a potent antihistamine, mostly people should take some form of antihistamine (1st gen effects CNS and more effective in general; 2nd gen only effects CNS at high doses, though they tend to be less effective, especially at reducing nausea)

Promethazine has strong sedation, and, after like a 10mg test dose, 30-40mg should be a decent potentiator;(you can gradually take slightly more than that)

It is mostly just a more potent version of benadrly(diphenhydramine); it’s BA is variable though(low, fairly low) though yeah wouldn’t mind one

Why did u not buy promethazine from the pharmacy? OTC in UK!! Take 25-50mg to start and don't go above 100mg

Hey thanks for the replies guys, yea its 1mg/ml merthadone. I will look up hydroxizine now, damn i wished i had asked before i ordered. I thought promethazine was the best OTC i could get. I didnt want the pharmacy asking questions and felt a bit paranoid asking for it this time of the year...Thats why i ordered online. I just got a notification that they will be delivered today. (Well part of the order). BTW can you suggest the best source of hydroxizine OTC in the UK? Thanks

I prefer DPH or promethazine to hydroxyzine. Actually I prefer DPH to promethazine too, but maybe that is just me.

With these drugs, start with 25-50mg and adjust the dose next time you try accordingly. Generally going above 100mg of either of the aforementioned drugs may cause uncomfortable side effects. Most people prefer to avoid those kinds of doses for that reason, but some people enjoy the way those side effects make them feel and seek them out.

Like anything in this, start low and figure out what works for you. Starting low with either of these drugs will be 25-50mg.

I honestly never found a big difference when using anything like antihistamines or cimetidine to try and potentiate methadone. Methadone for me always seemed to work better just by itself with nothing else mixed in other than some kind of fatty food just prior to dosing the methadone. A donut worked way better to potentiate the methadone than DPH or cimetidine did for me.

YMMV

^ Yes though for the side effects basically require an anti-histamine, preferably a “classical’ anti-histamine, which act as H1 angagonist, though in the CNS they are inverse agonist, and effect the chemoreceptor, basically eliminating all of the major side effects(itching, nausea) of opioids, except contsipation.

One of the 2nd gen anti-histamines(it is an active metabolite of hydroxyzine, actually) cetirizine, is probably the best 2nd gen you are going to get, though it isn’t as effective an anti-emetic, and will not potentiate except at high doses;

Hydroxyzine isn’ Just a very potent H1 antagonist and CNS Inverse Agonist, it effects other systems in the brain, and, high doses can be safely taken, as it has NO ANTI-CHOLINGERGIC side effects, for practical purposes.

Wouldn’t recommend 100mg of Promethazine, due to low(though variable) bioavailability l, and a 2D substrate?- so 100mg could cause uncomfortable side effects.

100mg Hydroxyzine would be a better potentiator, and at least would eliminate side effects; and a quarter gram daily can Ben taken safely(though titrate, of course)

Hydroxyzine Hcl is what would aim for personally, though pomaete is equivalent pharmacologically

When it comes it potentiation for methadone, I've only found the aforementioned drugs to help with how hard it hits without a tolerance and didn't notice much in terms of making it last longer. If you've been on your current dose for long enough that it doesn't hold you, I'm sorry to say that it probably won't fix that particular problem. Don't get me wrong, it may help you, and some have had success with it but i personally haven't. I'm sorry that the one thing supposed to help you isn't anymore and the only fix the clinic will offer is upping or, even worse, tapering

^Very true, and good to be reminded of.

NMDAr antagonists helped a lot with keeping my tolerance on the lower side when I was tapering off methadone. But that is another topic entirely.

Hey man, thanks for the comment. I took 50mg promethazine this morning 10 minutes before my methadone and i think what you're
saying is true. I definitely feel "heavier" and "fuzzier" there's definitely an interaction of sorts, but you're right, its not worth it. I guess there's a reason why all this stuff is available over the counter. Its not a very good buzz. Yeah, in UK there are new guidelines regarding methadone treatment and they are REALLY cutting down. Some not so clever fucker who has probably never had a bad day in his entire life, has decided that 35mg/ml to 40mg/ml of methadone is sufficient to flood all of your opiate receptors period. This means that treatment centres are now being forced to reduce everyone down to 35-40 mg maximum and then reducing.
If someone continues using whilst on methadone this will result in your script being reduced to this amount immediately by some doctors ion the interest of "Safety". Its fucking crazy over here. i wish i had access to prescribed diamorphine. Im pretty sure i could live a good life without upsetting anyone if i was. I'm sure it be at least as cheap as methadone so why the fuck not?? idk

Thanks for your replies guys. I took 50 mg promethazine this morning and i can feel the effect its just not that good. Best potentiator for methadone is cannabis. Hands down. Only problem is its still illegal in my godforesaken shit country.

Take 25-50 with Methadone,

Another dose in evening can(for many) be heavily sedating.

I'm telling you, hydroxyzine is the best overall, IME and pharmacologically.

For potentiation, white grapefruit juice and *reasonable* doses of cimetidine for a couple of days, and then repeat next day, it will make your methadone SIGNIFICANTLY MORE EFFECTIVE and also LAST LONGER; especially with w/ large doses, 80mg feels like over 100mg, and 24 hours later you can still be chilled, if you are maxing inhibitors(mostly WGJ, although opioids thrive in a less acidic environment, so cimetidine(which is harder to get in some places) being a mild-moderate inhibitor itself is a great combo; however, it cannot be done on a regular basis, or the else your body will become adjusted, and you will need potientors, or a slight dose increase(even then, wouldn't last as long, though one or two doses methadone per day is typically fine for maintenance

Methadone for chronic pain a different story...