• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

norovirus (you dont want this)

nepalnt21

Bluelighter
3 days of explosive diarrhea, 2 days of projectile vomiting (bile is vile), cant eat, can barely drink water.

its spread fecal matter/ aerosolized vomit getting into pretty much ANY mucus membrane.

an investigation into an outbreak of norovirus amongst the patrons of a restaurant put the cause as one woman throwing up on the floor. even people on the other side of the dining room were exposed.

as few as 5!!!!, but more likely closer to 10 particles of the virus can cause the illness.

up to 50% of food-poisonings are attributable to this virus. undercooked or raw selfish are heavily implicated, but also salad greens.

there are many strains, and once you get one, you are likely to be immune for 4-8 years (but only immune to that ONE strain).

if you do end up getting it, do everyone a favor: stay out of public for three days, WASH THOROUGHLY every time you throw up or poop. this includes washing any surfaces that may have been exposed WITH BLEACH (alcohol is not very effective). keep hands, arms, face clean.

dont prepare food for ppl

CLOSE THE LID WHEN YOU FLUSH!!! toilets can spray mist a d droplets like 5 feet away.

cannabis kinda helps, but prepare to be in agony for at least a day.

wow, i suck at typing:

-spread VIA* fecal matter

-raw/ undercook SHELLfish*

toilets can spray mist AND* droplets...

+++++++++++

also of note: apparently heat doesnt kill the virus? i dunno, according to my gf, anyway.

Do you have anything credible to back up what you say? Or are you just explaining a personal experience?

ay 20:40
restaurant:

https://www.cambridge.org/core/journ...597D89A879438B

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

number of virus particles to cause infection:

http://www.cdc.gov/hai/pdfs/noroviru...ctSheet508.pdf

(says 18 particles, either way the number is unimaginably small, imo)

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

i think the thing about leafy greens is actually just food borne illnesses in general, according to a german study.
http://www.nydailynews.com/life-styl...icle-1.1250443

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

immunity:

(page6)

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4618547/

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

so the alcohol thing is apparently about alcohol based hand sanitizers, so maybe alcohol higher than 60% will work?

i dunno, it has something to do with how a virus will attach itself to the cell wall and will utilize the lipid bilayer in its own outer shell... apparently cause norovirus creates no outer lipid layer for alcohol to strip, alcohol is ineffective.

https://www.popsci.com/how-do-you-build-virus

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viral_envelope

Ahhhh the good old winter vomiting bug, what great times 8). I had what was presumably this virus last year; my niece had it and passed it onto my parents and I managed to avoid for about a day, before suddenly feeling really fucking sick, legging it to the bathroom and projectile vomiting all over the toilet. It had arrived. A very rapid clean of the seat later and I was sitting on the toilet doing pretty much the exact same thing out the other end. It was fucking minging, and I can safely say I never ever thought I'd genuinely shit the bed in my life time, but I most certainly did.:eek:8)

-raw/ undercook SHELLfish*

The smell isn't far off raw shellfish either. Raw, rotting poultry and shellfish. Too much info? Then this certainly isn't the thread for you! :D

There is no way to avoid it if it's going around people you know really - unless you can avoid them completely.

"I heard you were feeling sick but thought I'd stop by for a chat"
th

so everything tranced mentions (although i detected a fair hint of rotting dog vomit bouquet) is spot on with my experience.

my gf suggested i try one of her heavy duty pads, i was going through so many underpants.

and like everytime i showered, like clockwork, as soon as im dressed and laid down in bed, the hershey squirts were back for a visit. at one point, i just shat in the shower; i knew my shits would be pure liquid... not unlike elemental bromine.

*another symptom of note, which i am experiencing now and i read someone else describe as: "smacked in the face with a plank" feeling, which apparently is the longest lasting symptom, at least in my case.

"I heard you were feeling sick but thought I'd stop by for a chat"
th

Haha =D

so everything tranced mentions (although i detected a fair hint of rotting dog vomit bouquet) is spot on with my experience.

my gf suggested i try one of her heavy duty pads, i was going through so many underpants.

and like everytime i showered, like clockwork, as soon as im dressed and laid down in bed, the hershey squirts were back for a visit. at one point, i just shat in the shower; i knew my shits would be pure liquid... not unlike elemental bromine.

*another symptom of note, which i am experiencing now and i read someone else describe as: "smacked in the face with a plank" feeling, which apparently is the longest lasting symptom, at least in my case.

That is actually a brilliant idea. Did you try it? I ran out of things to wear one night, and that was actually the solution I probably needed. 8(

Breaking Bad style Right? From fending off phosgene gas to a few pico grams of Noro v.

I'm guessing that loperamide would be a bad idea to slow the leak as it's best to purge as part of the healing process. Not that I wouldn't be tempted to megadose under conditions like that.

Were you able to sip like weak chicken broth or maybe one of those ensure drinks after 36 hours or so ? or would that be futile?

Yacking like that always destroys my lower back and just reading this thread makes me want to never eat cheap chinese food or inexpensive sushi ever again. At least I'm a Lysol aerosol disinfectant freak in the bathroom but that won't help if a food service

worker transfers a dozen or so particles during the incubation phase before he or she is incapacitated. I have a chart of food-borne illnesses and quite a few can take up to 10 days to really hit but still be communicable before the illness peaks. And you

mentioned it's not susceptible to heat? Greaaat. Sometimes ignorance is bliss ;)

Haha =D
That is actually a brilliant idea. Did you try it? I ran out of things to wear one night, and that was actually the solution I probably needed. 8(
i tried it before bed last night, but by then i had apparently dried up like a prune. it seems to have quite sucked the humidity out of my gooch region, and i have no doubts about its ability to contain the leakage from the sharts.

im seriously thinking of adding a pack of size M depends to my shtf cache

lol literally... the SHIT hits the... FAN and spreads norovirus all over the world.

Pretty amusing to think you've been wearing a fanny pad, but,10/10 for originality.

When I lived in Asia I had food poisoning 14 times in one year, mostly the viral kind. It was hell and I became sort of an expert. One Christmas years later I was visiting my sister and her kids. The youngest picked up a norovirus from daycare and was so ill. I had avoided bad food for years and I was determined to not experience that hell again. I told everyone to wash their hands thoroughly and compulsively, and to clean the doorknobs to all the common areas. Everyone just ignored me. Three days later everyone had it... my sister, my mother, my niece and myself. I was so fucking angry.

People just don't listen to sanitation rules around this stuff and then everyone gets it. If someone has a norovirus and you enter their home your chances of getting it are very high. And being that nauseous feels like death.

i feel like this thread is too awesome to die. great p.s.a., imo, about a pretty terrible sickness.