• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Day 13 sub withdrawal, having a weak moment

Baron27

Greenlighter
I’ve bern taking a subs for about 3 years and tapered down to about 1mg before I jumped. I made it around 7 or 8 days before I took .25 to relieve the worst of the symptoms. I’m on day 13 now and haven’t taken anything since but I have a .5mg in my possession. I’m feeling pretty terrible today and it’s being noticed at work. I’m so tempted to take this, but don’t want to risk all my hard work. I’ve certainly made progress but I don’t want this to be a step backwards.

I really should have tapered as low as possible before trying this.

I’m starting to think that this ain’t doable with a job that requires me to be im on “a” my a game. I swear to god I’m on a road shaped like a figure 8

I can’t lose my apartment and my life. 13 days and no sign of things improving.

You are going to feel this way for a while unfortunately. You need to taper down to .25, skip a day, dose, skip two days, dose and skip 3 days, dose..... final dose. You're at 1mg now, for as long as you've been taking it, that's a huge jump off.

I appreciate your blunt honesty. This post may not belong here but it looks like I’m going to go back to using. I can’t live my life like this any longer.

Also, tapering for me has provided futile results. Even at .25 or lower. Unable to adjust. Just indefinite sickness.

How much gabapentin are you taking? A better combo than gabapentin+clonazepam is gabapentin, clonidine, diazepam and perhaps another sleep aid and muscle relaxer. I found baclofen to work better than gabapentin coming off buprenorphine.

You can always try an outpatient methadone detox program for a month to ease yourself more comfortably off the buprenorphine. That would work fairly well for your needs, working and all.

That said, comfort meds are your best friend here. As are any and all stress reduction techniques you can engage with.

Can you take some time off from work for the holidays to try and focus on your health?

Frankly, if you're feeling horrible I'd just take a small dose of buprenorphine. Cut your last 0.5mg into 5-10 doses and take one of those. Keep those around for whenever you need them, and as long as you just keep reducing the dose (both in terms of time between doses and quantify of each dose) you'll get where you want to be a little easier.

I'd seriously consider using methadone through a clinic for a month long detox program though. That would be the most comfortable way to get over this if comfort meds aren't helping. Perhaps try the correct comfort meds before going that route, but don't discount methadone just because of its poor reputation. The vast majority of that is basically abstinence only myths and drug war propaganda.

Taking about 300mgs gabapentin , one in the morning and one at night. The clonaz definitely calms me down, took about 4mg of it to fall asleep. I managed to get a few solid hours sleep. Still staying strong although it’s tough. Sorry to be so negative at times, the lack of sleep really wears me down. I ordered 100g of red Bali Kratom hoping it will help, although I’m worried about being dependant on it (which I can’t even imagine, given its vile, unpalatable nature )

If you just take kratom for a week or two and then throw the rest out you won't have to worry about dependency with it.

However, you're taking like the lowest prescribed dose of gabapentin. Try taking more like 800mg 4x/day with a little food (a small bit of cheese/protein and cracker/sodium - I find a glass of whole milks (with fat) works just as well)). TBH when I use gabapentin to detox, I take doses of more like 4000mg. Not suggesting this is necessarily right for you, but you'll sure as hell need way more than current 300mg 2x/day you're taking.

If you can't get 800mg, try doing 900mg at least three times a day, taken with a little food of some kind like I mention. If you aren't feeling significant effects from the gabapentin, chances are you're not taking enough. And you don't need to worry about OD on it - it's one of the safest drugs out there.

And don't worry, you never have to apologize for anything ever :) <3

Last edited by a moderator:
Upped my dosage to 900mg and the rls seems to have subsided!! Thank you !!!! You’ve been such great deal of help to me. The fact that you’ve willingly helped me like this has moved me to tears (don’t know why I’m so emotional right now as embarrassing as this is to admit)

Much love

Good luck Baron27! You are totally making progress. You have to take each day as a win! I’m struggling with my own addiction right now. So I feel ya!

Upped my dosage to 900mg and the rls seems to have subsided!! Thank you !!!! You’ve been such great deal of help to me. The fact that you’ve willingly helped me like this has moved me to tears (don’t know why I’m so emotional right now as embarrassing as this is to admit)

Much love

I'll always have your back mate :) <3

Today is day 1 of my kratom detox. Gabapentin and CBD for the win! ;)

Speaking of which, I need to medicate... minor symptoms, nothing a little CBD concentrate and some Tiger Balm can't fix.

If your RLS continues acting up, the best treatment for RLS ever is to take a hot bath or shower and then immidialaty apply Tiger Balm by massaging it into the thigh and calf muscles, the joints at the knee and ankle, and then going to bed. It makes fall asleep sooooooooo comfortable. It's insane the relief it can bring.

And withy our gabapentin you'll be grant. Keep in mind, for acute withdrawal, 800mg 3-4 times a day is totally normal. Actually higher doses are often given too. It's a very forgiving drug, one you don't really need to worry about Doing on, especially when used short term, like you are for detoxing.

Thank you for your gratitude Baron27, it means a lot to me <3

The gratitude is well deserved my friend. What I find so great is everyone’s willingness to help one another without asking or expecting anything in return. Nothing is free in this world and no good deed goes without some kind of expectation in return. I think the fact that many of us have suffered from deviststing addictions serves as a kind of catalyst to want to truly help others overcome or ease the pain of their afflictions. It’s selfless and it’s something everyone can learn from. I have much to learn but I hope I can someday help others as you have on here.That, in my opinion, is community.

Good luck with your Kratom detox! I’m curious how it goes. The Tiger balm is next thing on my shopping list :) (some of the books too, of course)

Thank you! Indeed, for most of us it isn't something we choose to do, more of something we can't help not doing. Part of it is wanting to continue being an active part of a community who has done exactly what you described for me, and upon finding how fundamentally helpful that kind of unconditionally non-judgemental relationship is, it's impossible not to me a part of it :)

It's also amazing how merit this like comes back in all areas of one's life once it becomes part of one's character. Blows my mind almost daily how it feels like the universe is conspiring to bring me joy.

Community, especially a particular kind of community, is an amazing thing - particularly in this day and age of dislocation <3

How's everything going today with you Baron?

It’s day 23 since I started this detox. Pretty much all the physical symptoms have subsided (aside from some aches and pains that suddenly appeared a few days ago) the sleeplessness is really bad though, no matter what I try, nothing helps. It’s to be expected though. I find myself looking to other potentially addictive substances for relief (like benzos for example) but I know this will just be harmful in the long run. It’s 6:00am and I’ve got no sleep and have to work at 8:00am. It’s weird but I’m kind of used to functioning on little to no sleep even though it sucks. I’ve tried Valarien and 5-htp and melatonin with zero success, no noticeable effect. Kratom helped in the beginning but I’ve since discontinued it’s use. My guess is that sleep will return slowly over the course of a few months. So far though, no signs of improvement. Any other ideas to aid in insomnia? Is there a general timeline for when sleep returns? There are no easy answers so I guess I’m just looking for encouragement.