• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

New member, need help

If its habit forming, i wouldn't go down that road TPD. I'm not sure of its effects, but it must make ya feel something if it's habit forming. Of course i don't know you, or your situation, so i should probably mind my business.

Generally speaking gabapentin is only habit forming when used long term at higher dosages. It isn't like benzos or alcohol or opioids in that sense, which can become habit forming very quickly. Gabapentin is actually a pretty effective mood stabilizer. And unless someone is allergic to it, it's one of the only meds that almost always should be involved in a detox to make it more manageable.

But again I would encourage you to do what is right for you. Someone prefer shorter courses of more limited medication because they feel it works for them. Nothing wrong with that at all. After all it is all ultimately down to what works well for each individual.

That said, I've known more people than not who started off vehemently opposed to taking "a lot" of medicine to help manage the detox, who later one after learning how meds can be used to more effectively manage withdrawal and detox and now find their prior attitude rather small minded. Not saying that is your situation at all, because again it is what works for you. If you can make it through withdrawal with three days of buprenorphine and nothing else, and then end up staying sober without any problems, it has definitely worked for you as part of your own process.

Keep your head up and doing what you need to do to take care of yourself, as you alone feel most appropriate doing. If you need to readdress any of this stuff down the road (knock on wood, but as you probably are away relapse is more the rule than the exception with a chronic condition like this), you can deal with it then. But for now just keep doing what you feel is right for you. That should always be the priority, and any treatment should facilitate that kind of individual choice making and involvement.

Ill never go back. The reason i relapsed the first time was fear. The detox facility didn't tell me what i was going to feel like the days following release after a 5 day detox. I didn't feel good, couldn't take more work off, so i did JUST enough to maintain, took .25-.5mg of sub for 3 weeks, then H, .1mg per day spread In 2-3 doses. I dont enjoy it enough anymore to want to do it. I don't bang anything, and I'm a responsible husband and father, so I'm not blowing $100 a day to try and feel it more, whether if i could afford it or not. Im doing my back exercises to keep the muscle strong around the ruptures, and it looks like I'm gonna have to live with this aching in my knees(both shot, nothing left in them). I still don't feel great yet, i feel good. Waiting on great. Patiently. I've read a lot of journals, and many say at about the 2 week period, there's a day where you wake up feeling great. Still not sleeping on my own, like you advised, I've taken .2mg and 10mg melatonin the past several days. Gonna try again tonight on my own, and I'm gonna get in my bed tonight, sick of the couch. I didn't want to keep waking my wife up through this, so i hit the couch.

Day 15 no doc, day 12 no sub. Ive slept on my own the past 2 nights, straight through, and the heaviness In my legs was gone yesterday. Ive got my energy back, clarity in my eyes, and feel great to not have to wake up and take anything to just be able to function.

Day 15 no doc, day 12 no sub. Ive slept on my own the past 2 nights, straight through, and the heaviness In my legs was gone yesterday. Ive got my energy back, clarity in my eyes, and feel great to not have to wake up and take anything to just be able to function.

WOOHOO!:D Way to go!<3 I'm truly happy for you, Alldonewithit. I think you chose a very good username.;)

Thanks herbavore. I tell ya though, yesterday afternoon into this morning, i feel some symptoms returning. Nothing strong, i slept on my own, and marijuana itself alleviates it, but it's there.

Day 8 no doc, day 5 no sub. Woke up after a good 5-6hrs of sleep feeling much stronger than yesterday. The bad part is over, but now the hard part starts, staying clean!! I have 4 great reasons to do it..... wife, and 3 kids. After a few years of disappearing for my coke binges, and 3 Years of opiate addiction, i think its time to give them the real me. They deserve it, especially my wife.

This is what I need to get through to my thick skull.

Today is 3 weeks off opiates, and 18 days off sub. Last Saturday and Sunday i felt great, but Monday during lunch break, heavy legs returned. It was a rough week of work, had to drag through it. I think because i returned to work, i stopped exercising, and the weakness in the legs returned. Otherwise i feel pretty good, maybe slight depression because i thought I'd be fully out of this by now. Gonna restart the exercising today and see how that goes. Was truly hoping to feel GREAT by Xmas, it's the only present i truly want.

Also, still having trouble sleeping. Some nights i sleep pretty well, others I'm tossing and turning and get a few hours. From my research it could take 4-6 wks to feel normal again, so I'm almost at that point now, so No looking back. I can't believe it's been 3 weeks, that seemed impossible 2.5wks ago.

I havent drank In over a decade. Had 4 beers tonight at the delicious(food also) Brown's brewery, and I'm certain a full nights sleep is ahead of me. Looking forward to it

Full nights sleep didn't happen. The idiot in me decided to take some zzzquil too.... wrong move!! 3hrs later i popped up and rls was pretty bad. Im going to my dr on Tuesday and demanding a weeks worth of klonopin. I've taken it 3-4 times In the past, and each time it knocked me out, and woke up refreshed each time. I can't take the lack of sleep anymore, it's contributing to my lack of energy.

Try some kind of non-habit forming sleep aid like trazodone (there are lots of options out there, that's just what I have the most experience using). Something like that for insomnia was really useful to have around for the first year I was off ORT.

In terms of alcohol, unfortunately as you now well now it tends to be very disruptive when used during or shortly following acute withdrawal. Meaning, GI distress (some degree of nausea, diarrhea, cramping, etc), sleep disturbances (alcohol is well known to cause this generally), as well as other issues.

I genuinely enjoy a drink or two with food not in again (like Japanese lager with pickled plums, yum!), but I absolutely REFUSE to drink until long after I'm done kicking. I never had a tolerance to alcohol mind you, and perhaps I'm therefore a little sensitive, but I feel like generally speaking detoxing sensitizes folks to booze anyways.

So just tread lightly with the drinking. It doesn't seem to help most people, especially when consumed in excess (excess meaning beyond the recommended glass or two).

I haven't had 4 beers total in the last 10 years, don't plan on having 4 more the next 10. 11yrs ago i woke up out of a drunken stupor swinging at my wife in bed, and that's not me, so it was an easy decision to stop then. I plan on going to my dr on Tuesday and demanding a weeks worth of klonopin. I've taken that 3-5 times in my life, and it's knocked me out each time. If he says no, I'll move on to another dr that will.

Today is day 25 no doc, 22 no sub. I feel I'm out of it, finally. The last 4-6 days has been the actual flu, where i thought it was just a continuation of the withdrawals. Chest, and nasal congestion, along with fever and, weakness. Now that it's almost run its course, i can tell there are no more wd symptoms. My youngest (6) also had the flu, he couldn't even remember opening presents up at his grandparents Christmas night. He joined me on the couch a bunch of nights, and he either gave it to me, or i gave it to him. Either way, i know I'm through it, cried tears of joy this morning. I've slept on my own the last 2 nights, with yesterday sleeping most of the day. The cloud in my head is gone. Still have some chest congestion, but otherwise i feel fantastic. No looking back now, just forward baby!!!

Day 26 no doc, day 23 no sub. Slept 9hrs last night, waking up twice for the bathroom, but crashed right after laying down again each time. Doing a night job in an office building, so that helped by making me really tired. Only thing i cab report is the sneeze attacks still come 3-4x a day. It's not just the flu either, they've been here since the start.

Day 28 no doc, day 25 no sub. Slept 7hrs last night, feeling good, but still have stuffy nose, and chest congestion, so it might be time to get an antibiotic. To anyone recovering, laughter is a great way to help through detox. We watched Sebastian Maniscalco last night, the dude is HILARIOUS!!! if you get a chance go to your on demand search engine, and give him a watch, you won't regret it.

Good morning, alldonewithit! Found your thread! Although I congratulated you on my thread, Congrats on 28 days! 4 whole weeks! That is badass. I'm on day 3 no doc; cant wait til I can have a 'Day _ no sub' after that too. I hope your day goes well.

thank you, I'm quite proud of myself. Just got back from the drs, and got my antibiotic, so hopefully this bronchitis/flu will be gone In 3 days, then i can tell if the flushed, heavy feeling in my legs is from that or a continuation of my detox.

30 days!!! I can't believe it, and thank you pghlady. Now that the bronchitis is clearing up, so is the fatigue, and heavy legs. I had some light cravings last night, but they didn't last very long, had some humboldt county that my wife's uncle brought in from cali, it surely took that right away. I'm so glad i took the short term sub route over a 6 week taper, there's no way i wanted to do sub for that long, it would of caused a problem, im sure of it. I'm gonna go give my wife the best 3 minutes she's ever had to celebrate!!!! Lol!!

Last edited: