Adding HCG to Beginner Cycle

ElkHorn

Bluelighter
At the beginning of next year i will be starting my first steroid cycle.

While most beginner cycle recommendations i've seen recommend 500mg test e per week, Guido's suggestion to run 250mg per week with a taper period and no PCT sparked my interest.

What i'm wondering is if it would make sense to add in HCG to Guido's recommended beginner cycle. I was posting about this on eroids, and the posters there seemed to find it perplexing that i wouldn't.

Interested in hearing reasons as to why i should or shouldn't add in HCG to Guido's beginner cycle.

A few reasons, but mostly because it's unnecessary and adds a layer of complication. You should recover ok without it, especially on a low dose cycle.

For clarification, that was not Guidos recommended cycle or pct. It's been changed to reflect new information and experience from Genetic Freak and CFC. Guidos first cycle and pct was the standard cookie cutter 500 test and nolva+clomid.

Yeah sorry OP it was re-written some time ago with info from GF and myself - probably shoulda put it all in a new thread really to avoid confusion.

Yeah sorry OP it was re-written some time ago with info from GF and myself - probably shoulda put it all in a new thread really to avoid confusion.

That's something I really like about this PED board is that things get constantly updated from new studies and anecdotes. It's really helpful that you and GF have both sides of the spectrum covered with literature and personal anecdotes as I often see from myself that my personal response to drugs/protocols/etc falls somewhere in the middle. Though generally the overlap tends to be pretty big.

Well, me and GF to some degree are kinda outliers in advocating lower dosed cycles, to be fair. The mainstream certainly push more, and more compounds. I guess having tried both, I know where I sit. All I ask is that people at least give lower doses a try once in their life lol.

Well, me and GF to some degree are kinda outliers in advocating lower dosed cycles, to be fair. The mainstream certainly push more, and more compounds. I guess having tried both, I know where I sit. All I ask is that people at least give lower doses a try once in their life lol.

Nah mate, it's 1g test and 10iu gh for starters or you won't gain anything. (sarcasm for any noobies that might read this)

At the beginning of next year i will be starting my first steroid cycle.

While most beginner cycle recommendations i've seen recommend 500mg test e per week, Guido's suggestion to run 250mg per week with a taper period and no PCT sparked my interest.

What i'm wondering is if it would make sense to add in HCG to Guido's recommended beginner cycle. I was posting about this on eroids, and the posters there seemed to find it perplexing that i wouldn't.

Interested in hearing reasons as to why i should or shouldn't add in HCG to Guido's beginner cycle.

It's been covered many times on here, but as you are new it would be prudent to briefly state hCG mimics LH it doesn't stimulate production, in fact higher doses might cause some desensitization..
GnRH might be a better option to target, but as most people seem to recover just fine anyway adding compounds such as triptorelin might be pointless and expensive..
What research is beginning to show is addressing/minimising damage to sertoli cells, and leydig cells on-cycle with supplementation of taurine and royal jelly should be a priority as opposed to adding pointless PCT drugs once damage has been done...

Last edited:
I differ in my opinions certainly but I've done both no PCT post cycle and PCT post cycle. The period post cycle sucks pretty bad regardless of dose in my experience but I can say that it sucked significantly less utilizing PCT drugs.

My first run was a 4 week oral only run which would be signifsntly less suppressive than, say, 12 weeks of test. It ended approximately in September and I did no PCT. After about 6 months of symptoms (no sex drive, sleeping 10+ hours a day, chronic lethargy) I went to my doc (march/April- been a number of years) and blood work was around 200 test. Granted I didn't have a baseline levels but it was clearly low as I'd never experienced any of those symptoms before and was very unlike me.

Now, PCT drugs didn't keep my levels entirely elevated per se (it brought test levels up while the drugs were in my system) but kept them higher (In the 400's) after they cleared and helped me feel better faster (within a few weeks as opposed to never). They do what they are supposed to do so I recommend guys I coach that have this issue (or me if I ever came off) use nolva/clomid indefinitely during their off period at a low dose 2-3x per week given the long half lives. I also tell them up front to usually expect the need for TRT at some point in their lives.

I differ in my opinions certainly but I've done both no PCT post cycle and PCT post cycle. The period post cycle sucks pretty bad regardless of dose in my experience but I can say that it sucked significantly less utilizing PCT drugs.

My first run was a 4 week oral only run which would be signifsntly less suppressive than, say, 12 weeks of test. It ended approximately in September and I did no PCT. After about 6 months of symptoms (no sex drive, sleeping 10+ hours a day, chronic lethargy) I went to my doc (march/April- been a number of years) and blood work was around 200 test. Granted I didn't have a baseline levels but it was clearly low as I'd never experienced any of those symptoms before and was very unlike me.

Now, PCT drugs didn't keep my levels entirely elevated per se (it brought test levels up while the drugs were in my system) but kept them higher (In the 400's) after they cleared and helped me feel better faster (within a few weeks as opposed to never). They do what they are supposed to do so I recommend guys I coach that have this issue (or me if I ever came off) use nolva/clomid indefinitely during their off period at a low dose 2-3x per week given the long half lives. I also tell them up front to usually expect the need for TRT at some point in their lives.

You tend to disagree with most threads on here, remember first and foremost Bluelight is a harm reduction forum, that is why information given is from a harm reduction perspective.

The OP was discussing a first cycle, and the proposition of following "Your First Cycle" thread guidelines of 250mg/week tapered off.
In this context there has been enough evidence put forward here over recent years to suggest PCT is not necessary on such a low dose (if at all), neither is an AI (except maybe in the last week or so of taper), or hCG.

We are beginning to see research put forward to strongly suggest damage to leydig/sertoli cells on-cycle from reactive oxygen species might be responsible for post cycle testosterone production being less than optimal. In this case once leydig/sertoli cells are damaged no amount of hCG can stimulate optimal gonadal function, therefore taking note of what science is beginning to tell us about on-cycle harms and combatting this harm potential with taurine and/or royal jelly might seem a more prudent option, as opposed to slamming in more PCT drugs once damage has been done.

Remember the PCT hypothesis came from the pre blast-cruise era where significant time off was employed at least equal to time on. There was no money to be made out of time off, until someone decided PCT drugs were a nice little earner!!

Just to add a little bit. When I first came to this forum I was also under the impression that it was a smart idea on my part to be using HCG during cycle as to prevent any form of testicular atrophy (or so I thought). It's an unnecessary addition to a steroid cycle protocol.

And from what I've learned on this board for the short time I've been here, it clicked in my mind that a lot of my high estrogen side effects were most likely attributed to the use of HCG on cycle. I'm very prone to showing symptoms of elevated E2, but I was always under the impression that I was underdosing my choice AI, anastrozole. However, I was basing my dosage of AI off roughly what I thought I should use to counter my exogenous testosterone use and not the additional compound that I was using. Hence why it's stressed here so much that you should minimize the amount of compounds you are using as much as possible. You're just adding in additional variables that you may incorrectly account for.

It's impossible to accurately quantify how much HCG would be needed to mimic endogenous LH production and at the end of the day it's doing just that... mimicking. And like many others have stated the goal is to utilize as little substances/dosage as you can while still maximizing the potential of your cycle.

Last edited:
You tend to disagree with most threads on here, remember first and foremost Bluelight is a harm reduction forum, that is why information given is from a harm reduction perspective.

The OP was discussing a first cycle, and the proposition of following "Your First Cycle" thread guidelines of 250mg/week tapered off.
In this context there has been enough evidence put forward here over recent years to suggest PCT is not necessary on such a low dose (if at all), neither is an AI (except maybe in the last week or so of taper), or hCG.

We are beginning to see research put forward to strongly suggest damage to leydig/sertoli cells on-cycle from reactive oxygen species might be responsible for post cycle testosterone production being less than optimal. In this case once leydig/sertoli cells are damaged no amount of hCG can stimulate optimal gonadal function, therefore taking note of what science is beginning to tell us about on-cycle harms and combatting this harm potential with taurine and/or royal jelly might seem a more prudent option, as opposed to slamming in more PCT drugs once damage has been done.

Remember the PCT hypothesis came from the pre blast-cruise era where significant time off was employed at least equal to time on. There was no money to be made out of time off, until someone decided PCT drugs were a nice little earner!!

I don't disagree with a lot of things but some things I do have different opinions on which are all based on experience or in depth discussions with doctors who run drug protocols for both low level and top tier competitors - ie. guys on the Olympia stage - and what their research and experience has shown. I think multiple view points on any subject are always valuable even if there's some disagreement. That's how people make informed decisions.

I wouldn't personally use HCG so much on cycle probably as before PCT. The only research I've seen about taurine and royal jelly in specific cases like these has been in rats, not humans, whereas we have a lot of literature on PCT drugs which, in my experience, prove to be WELL worth the use. I am absolutely on board with harm reduction which is also why I recommend things like not using an AI unless it's needed. However, steroids themselves are extremely benign compared to most illicit drugs and even grams of AAS per week won't have any dileterious effects unless used for years and years on end.

I was just giving my personal experience regarding PCT and, while I can agree that traditional PCT drugs are not generally effective long term, I can definitely say I wouldn't want to not use them after having done it both ways. Personally, even if it's a baindaid on a gunshot wound, I'd rather have the baindaid then nothing especially when considering the potential risks of such drugs (especially nolva and clomid) are negligible.

Guess you could say in my view it is harm reduction. With no PCT I felt like garbage for 6 months until I was prescribed some by a doctor. My next cycle I used it on my own and felt crappy-ish for 3 weeks or so.

For clarification, that was not Guidos recommended cycle or pct. It's been changed to reflect new information and experience from Genetic Freak and CFC. Guidos first cycle and pct was the standard cookie cutter 500 test and nolva+clomid.

Where is the revised beginner cycle recommendation posted? To clarify, i wasn't stating that 500mg/week was the suggested. From what i read, 250mg per week with a taper period was what's recommended to start.

It's been covered many times on here, but as you are new it would be prudent to briefly state hCG mimics LH it doesn't stimulate production, in fact higher doses might cause some desensitization..
GnRH might be a better option to target, but as most people seem to recover just fine anyway adding compounds such as triptorelin might be pointless and expensive..
What research is beginning to show is addressing/minimising damage to sertoli cells, and leydig cells on-cycle with supplementation of taurine and royal jelly should a priority as opposed to adding pointless PCT drugs once damage has been done...

Thank you for the response. I didn't realize this.

The bluelight responses seem to be a lot more in depth and coming from a more knowledgable standpoint than most of what i've read thus far.

Where is the revised beginner cycle recommendation posted? To clarify, i wasn't stating that 500mg/week was the suggested. From what i read, 250mg per week with a taper period was what's recommended to start.

It's still titled as Guidos, but has been extensively revised, to cover more recent research from a greater harm reduction standpoint...

I don't disagree with a lot of things but some things I do have different opinions on which are all based on experience or in depth discussions with doctors who run drug protocols for both low level and top tier competitors - ie. guys on the Olympia stage - and what their research and experience has shown. I think multiple view points on any subject are always valuable even if there's some disagreement. That's how people make informed decisions.

I wouldn't personally use HCG so much on cycle probably as before PCT. The only research I've seen about taurine and royal jelly in specific cases like these has been in rats, not humans, whereas we have a lot of literature on PCT drugs which, in my experience, prove to be WELL worth the use. I am absolutely on board with harm reduction which is also why I recommend things like not using an AI unless it's needed. However, steroids themselves are extremely benign compared to most illicit drugs and even grams of AAS per week won't have any dileterious effects unless used for years and years on end.

I was just giving my personal experience regarding PCT and, while I can agree that traditional PCT drugs are not generally effective long term, I can definitely say I wouldn't want to not use them after having done it both ways. Personally, even if it's a baindaid on a gunshot wound, I'd rather have the baindaid then nothing especially when considering the potential risks of such drugs (especially nolva and clomid) are negligible.

Guess you could say in my view it is harm reduction. With no PCT I felt like garbage for 6 months until I was prescribed some by a doctor. My next cycle I used it on my own and felt crappy-ish for 3 weeks or so.

Thank you for your response, as you say it can be a valuable asset to have differing opinions, but to reiterate the context of the OP ie: first cycle of 250mg/week, I might still suggest my protocol of minimal polypharmacy was prudent in his case...

A few points if I may:
From memory you are early/mid 20's, but state opinions based on experience. how much experience really are we talking here.?
Some of us on here have nearly 4 decades of hormone use, I personally followed the old school methodology of "time on = time off" for the best part of 30 years, the first few weeks after coming off were difficult but we sucked it up took plenty of creatine and got on with it.. I personally didn't feel the need for AI's, SERM's, or hCG, I have experimented, but felt no real difference either way.. (in fact some of us felt worse on SERM's)..

I might suggest doctors advising "top level competitors" might be in the same boat as everyone else in this game, that is to make big bucks out of everyone else for their advise, good or bad..

Not forgetting animal research is the precursor to human studies, and has to start somewhere..

Not doubting you, but would you care to share photos of your progress..

steroids themselves are extremely benign compared to most illicit drugs and even grams of AAS per week won't have any dileterious effects unless used for years and years on end.

Eh, I generally agree with many of your points mate but that's a pretty delusional claim. I can't stress that enough to others reading. There's plenty of research that points to both acute and chronic issues from the abuse of AAS in not even particularly high doses. Just because some or most don't notice effects immediately, it doesn't mean it's safe for everyone, nor does it mean that damage isn't being done just because symptoms take time to show. Too many pros and even just normal recreational bodybuilders have suffered notoriously ill health or kicked the bucket far too young from the abuse of AAS and other bodybuilding drugs for me to let a statement like that slide.

We have discussed these dangers quite frequently on this forum, and I've stickied many of those discussions above. We've even discussed it between ourselves on here a few times, and you often seem to sort of partly agree, maybe to diffuse the discussion, only to backtrack later. It's quite perplexing and I kinda get the sense you're projecting, maybe to defend your own usage protocols? I dunno, your attitude to AAS use seems inconsistent given your fastidiously cautious HR approach to MDMA use, which I admire. I sense a touch of cognitive dissonance tbh.

As for PCT discussions, the advice we give here isn't black and white. I didn't say "you mustn't do one," nor have I ever. But we simply refuse to sell asinine blanket statements like "you should do a PCT or hCG with every cycle", when it's use cannot easily be defended, particularly on low-dose cycles, as I have discussed with you before here at least 2-3 times, and explained why in some detail with evidence each time.

I also notice you've subtly changed your own story a few times wrt how you recovered or didn't recover from your PCT experience, which was/wasn't sustained with/without the drugs in an earlier story, but all of which you've relied on a few times to explicate your POV, and thus it is a bit confusing to read. But furthermore, relying on anecdotal "I know a pro" stuff really doesn't carry weight here and is a pretty lazy way of trying to shut down a debate. FWIW I know and have known (very well in some cases) countless pros (mostly Euros but some from the US) over the last 2 decades, but I don't drop that into discussions because it has little value here.

In fact most of them, to be frank, were not the smartest tool in the box and I wouldn't want their advice on what to do. I especially wouldn't want it for noobs and absolutely never for HR because competing and HR are at two opposite ends of the spectrum. They also all relied heavily on others for their protocols, often basically just acting like guinea pigs. And oftentimes those others were no better informed, and neither were their medical teams, very few of whom really had much depth of knowledge when it comes to AAS and bodybuilding practices. And unless these doctors that you refer to are privy to reams of special expensive double-blind placebo controlled research at super-high doses and using multiple compounds that the rest of the scientific community hasn't stumbled upon, again, it doesn't bolster your case to bring them up as you do. Or else I also have to give equal weight to everyone else's anecdotes and stories, no matter how far-fetched, and suddenly everything gets drowned out in noise.

So while I totally agree with you that we should share opinions freely, I also don't want this forum to become yet another place where brotelligence and herd behaviour generally drown out thoughtful discussion and analysis. Thus when stating those opinions, it's best to try and make sure they're worded in such a way that they actually read moreso as opinions or anecdotes and less-so cast-iron facts, as yours have a tendency to, whether you actually mean that or not.

CFC, nope definitely don't intend anything to sound like iron clad facts.

I do want to clarify - in regards to AAS, my reference to being relatively 'benign' is that a person can do significantly more damage with a few doses of MDMA, a night of cocaine, or even moderate use of many other illicit drugs/alcohol. I've got friends, and there are countless stories here, where even very moderate use of such drugs, especially MDMA, have led to months or even years of repercussions in severe cases.

Comparatively, running even multiple grams of AAS per week for a couple of years would have some deleterious effects but be very mild and relatively a non-issue compared to the typically accepted American diet and sedentary lifestyle that go mostly unquestioned by society which would have equal or worse outcomes IME.

I do view AAS much differently than other drugs after observing the abuse of each although I wouldn't call my use abuse per se...not particularly responsible but not abuse. For example, one of my old coaches is long time friends with, and coached by, John O'Reagan who also coached Dallas McCarver, among others. My ex-coach is now 48 and his personal drug use that he laid out for me, going on since his late teens, for almost 3 decades was actual abuse. Minus some very short periods, nothing under 1800mg a week which was only later on in the game after he got into his 40's but he still competes at a national level and his preps spare nothing. Similarly, I live in the same vicinity as Dallas McCarvers old coach (PM me if you would like the name and more info) and have trained with him as well as seen some of his drug protocols. Those are cases of true abuse.

I don't say any of this to be argumentative, only to explain where a couple of my opinions come from and not that I would ever recommend that to anyone else.

Where I land at the end of the day is that the above advice is what I would give to my younger brother who often asks about AAS use but has done copious amounts of his own due diligence as well from all aspects. In these cases, I feel it's irresponsible not to recommend nolva/clomid at minimum but that's my opinion. A lot of my thoughts stem from potential harm - what are the possible dangers of him adding HCG to his run? What are the possible negative consequences from him adding an oral? From blasting and cruising? From frontloading? From using nolva/clomid during PCT? Etc. The thoughts given are what I would explain to my little brother and then tell him to make whatever informed decision he sees fit from it combined with his own research. So, while I definitely do not wish to portray anything as concrete, it is an opinion that I think can be valuable for consideration.

Last edited:

I do want to clarify - in regards to AAS, my reference to being relatively 'benign' is that a person can do significantly more damage with a few doses of MDMA, a night of cocaine, or even moderate use of many other illicit drugs/alcohol. I've got friends, and there are countless stories here, where even very moderate use of such drugs, especially MDMA, have led to months or even years of repercussions in severe cases.

Comparatively, running even multiple grams of AAS per week for a couple of years would have some deleterious effects but be very mild and relatively a non-issue compared to the typically accepted American diet and sedentary lifestyle that go mostly unquestioned by society which would have equal or worse outcomes IME.

I would strongly disagree with your comments regarding MDMA, we have recently been given new guidelines from our Clinical Director for all Emergency Medical Response Personnel within New Zealand to regard MDMA use as low risk, that decision was not taken lightly...

There are plenty of studys to show even at TRT dosing regime, testosterone has shown multiple deleterious effects upon human biological systems..

If you wish to advise unnecessary polypharmacy to your brother either for PCT or front-loading that is your prerogative, but from a harm reduction perspective we won't be advocating it here...

I do view AAS much differently than other drugs after observing the abuse of each although I wouldn't call my use abuse per se...not particularly responsible but not abuse. For example, one of my old coaches is long time friends with, and coached by, John O'Reagan who also coached Dallas McCarver, among others. My ex-coach is now 48 and his personal drug use that he laid out for me, going on since his late teens, for almost 3 decades was actual abuse. Minus some very short periods, nothing under 1800mg a week which was only later on in the game after he got into his 40's but he still competes at a national level and his preps spare nothing. Similarly, I live in the same vicinity as Dallas McCarvers old coach (PM me if you would like the name and more info) and have trained with him as well as seen some of his drug protocols. Those are cases of true abuse.

I don't say any of this to be argumentative, only to explain where a couple of my opinions come from and not that I would ever recommend that to anyone else.

Where I land at the end of the day is that the above advice is what I would give to my younger brother who often asks about AAS use but has done copious amounts of his own due diligence as well from all aspects. In these cases, I feel it's irresponsible not to recommend nolva/clomid at minimum but that's my opinion. A lot of my thoughts stem from potential harm - what are the possible dangers of him adding HCG to his run? What are the possible negative consequences from him adding an oral? From blasting and cruising? From frontloading? From using nolva/clomid during PCT? Etc. The thoughts given are what I would explain to my little brother and then tell him to make whatever informed decision he sees fit from it combined with his own research. So, while I definitely do not wish to portray anything as concrete, it is an opinion that I think can be valuable for consideration.

My friend, sorry this is getting a bit long, but it makes me sad to read your reply tbh and I do worry about your health. You seem like such a nice guy enjoying life to the full atm. But I can see that none of what we've said (or what thousands of researcher's have published and analysed) about dosing and heart problems, atherosclerosis, kidney, liver, neurological or anything else has really cracked through your defences since you've been posting here.

One of the most telling things you just wrote in regards to PCT ("A lot of my thoughts stem from potential harms") seems to have gone totally over your head with your AAS use. How can you not see that? You're kidding yourself that what you're doing right now isn't harmful or the height of abuse. I mean, it's your life and your body, and I'm not jumping in patronisingly telling you to stop, just like I rarely do with other people's recreational drug choices. But since it seems to have become the focus of your defence, your high-dosing strategies are ill-advised and aren't going to help you reach your goals any faster than a fraction of what you take used more intelligently. You're just knocking years off your life and risking chronic health problems in your 30-40s and onwards for such minimal extra gains :(

I get it: you're young and outwardly healthy, and probably feel pretty invincible atm. And you're clutching at any straw you can to defend what you do. But it's a plain fact, given your age, that you have relatively limited real-world experience in this sport. You haven't had to see your friends dropping like flies or suffering health problems from what they did when they were younger yet. You haven't been reading for years about story after story of others whose crazy AAS abuse in younger years came back to bite them badly as they aged. Or if you have (maybe articles by guys like Chris Collucci, Big Dead Bodybuilders, the continuous spate of pro's dying etc), you've very selectively ignored those cases as, tbf, many young bodybuilders are prone to doing, not just you. I think this is one reason you keep coming with those stories from other coaches and pros or whatever who are more experienced, but which really aren't helping your case and certainly not if we're talking about harm reduction.

If you've ever read Bluelight's mission statement as a charity or our BLUA, you'd realise that we can't possibly advocate the often ignorant delusional stuff you read on a lot of other forums about dosing and polypharmacy. The unnecessary cycles and compounds, often essentially geared towards wannabe competitors, normalises incredibly risky and abusive AAS use among a much wider section of bodybuilders than it should. And when those cycles become your benchmark, or when you look at what you've been told was "a pro's cycle", then naturally you'll be inclined to fool yourself that what you're doing isn't too risky.

Again, I have no desire to stop you doing what you're doing (ok I lie, I'd like to see you try much lower doses, but I never push it). You clearly enjoy what you're doing and we all seriously enjoy your enthusiasm. But because your logic determines that what you do is safe, inevitably your advice to noobs quickly risks going OTT with doses and protocols. You just saw a noob on here gain 30lbs+ on a cycle that you thought was too small to be worth doing. For the sake of anecdotes, this has happened hundreds of times in my coaching of others (as I said to you before). And with myself. And other big guys, not just noobs. But to realise that, you would actually have to try doing it on yourself and others. If it never worked, I would never advise people try it. I advise them to try it because I've seen it work so many times. And to deny that lower doses are safer with fewer sides, requiring fewer ancillaries (like a standard PCT), and causing fewer risks of acute or chronic harm (or risk of dependence on abuse levels of AAS) would be plainly false.

Anyway, I guess this is all just food for thought. I appreciate you probably find us old farts boring and annoying and are going to ignore us. But we do have a mission to uphold for others, and you need to understand that. And we're at a point wrt our own experience where we've seen it all before a hundred times, and figured how to put priorities like enthusiasm and addiction into some kind of lifelong perspective - including harm, abuse, and signs of self-delusion in their rightful slots near the top.