• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Mental Health Why Am I feeling this way? Ability/Wellbutrin Question

5000gly

Greenlighter
Hello, Ive been dealing with bad anxiety as a result of a form of OCD for a long time and it recently resulted in panic attacks as I could not get out of my head with just obsessions about my life going nowhere. The panic attacks are most likely a result of trying out so many medications this last year. Anyway, I recently was prescribed 5mg of abilify and it shot me into mania, I was feeling great, excited about life again, hyper focused but almost in a good way and it was actually a relieving feeling. However, I mentioned this to the doctor and she prescribed me 150mg of wellbutrin XL and I took that for a week and a half and it killed all good feeling I got from abilify.

I now am off the wellbutrin for about 4 days and I am still feeling just really low and it almost feels like a lack of dopamine, even though I am still taking the abilify which should increase dopamine. I am feeling just not positive or excited about anything and I've been real tired and just sad and low and suicidal and I'm wondering if there is any explanation chemically for how I'm feeling. Is it that the abilify wore off after taking it for about a month and a half? Is it that the wellbutrin was blocking the effects of the abilify and it's still clearing out of my system? Im sorry if this is not the right place for this I'm just dying for some type of explanation that can give me hope.

It seems to me that all the psychiatric drugs affect people sooooo differently that it is next to impossible to know what is what. Have you talked to your prescriber about it? They may have some insight. I don't have experience with either drug but like I say, even if I did, it would be subjective. I would just proceed while doing everything possible to help my body/brain heal: lots of exercise, healthy foods, supplements that support brain health and good sleep habits. Worry is manufactured fatalism. It is the most difficult habit to change but it can be changed--just not overnight. Chip away at anxious thought by answering back. Personally I like to use a sarcastic Jewish mother voice on myself when I start spinning out with thoughts like "I'll never get better!" Then my sarcastic Jewish mother steps in and say, "Oh really? You can read the future now? Maybe you should get some hoop earrings and a glass ball and make some money at it."=D

I've taken Abilify before and it sent my anxiety into overdrive. I really didn't like it. It made me edgy and nervous all the time. When I went off of it, I didn't have anymore negative symptoms, but I Wasn't also taking wellbutrin. I Was taking Lexapro.
Right now I'm on Lexapro and Risperdal and it's doing wonders on my depression and anxiety.