• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Long TermAdderall Recovery

oolongmonkey

Greenlighter
Is anyone here a long time user 10+ that can say they made a full recovery. Is it possible? Quit and feel like they are back to were they were before they started?

I'm a long term user and Im starting to see the negative effects this drug has on my body. It blows my mind at times about how casually this drug is dolled out.

I'm a long term user and Im starting to see the negative effects this drug has on my body. It blows my mind at times about how casually this drug is dolled out.

I personally (as a teacher, a parent and a person that believes in adapting to one's own mind) find Adderall and the likes to be so overprescribed as to be criminal. Putting energetic and antsy little kids on amps to make boring school practices easier to inflict is a ticking time bomb in the U.S. Having them so available in both middle schools and high schools that kids don't even need the prescription is common.

I do not know the long term effects, nor do I have experience to address your question but ADD/ADHD and the drugs prescribed for them are a particular pet peeve of mine. I have ADD as does my entire family (husband and kids). You do not need drugs--at least not for life. You need strategies and creativity and the willingness to design a life that fits you.

As with most drugs, you can definitely become fully functional again, but a "full" recovery in the sense that there won't be any long term lasting side effects may be an overstatement. You can definitely recover and reach a point where you are functioning at a level where it isn't obvious or even noticeable that damage has occurred, but it's hard to say that you will be able to pick up where you left off.

A lot of things come into play, namely age you were using at, and pharmacology of the drugs used. Amounts used, frequency used, ROA, and adulterants will have an impact.

The majority of the side effects should go away after an extended period of abstinence. If you are a daily user then a lot of what you are experiencing are the acute withdrawals relating to tolerance and dependence. Your body tries to remain at equilibrium, so when you are putting foreign chemicals into the body it adjusts the level of natural chemicals it produces to compensate. It will take some time for your body to level out, but proper nutrition, exercise and a wholesome lifestyle will help you balance out.

There may be some lingering side effects, like lethargy, anxiety, or depression but these are things that can be managed and worked out in the long term. Recovery is a long road that gets easier with time. There isn't a "cure", but it can be managed, which is why we are in recovery rather than cured.