• NMI Moderators: Snafu in the Void

Longtime lurker who finally decided to jump in

Trickster2018

Greenlighter
Hi there!

I first started looking on here a couple years ago for information that could be helpful for, well, an old friend you could say. My friend (who is one of those overly ambitious Type A personalities) started on some potent study supplements as a senior in college for a competitive advantage. The tool was very manageable for a while and they continued on through graduate school keeping that advantage, continuing to succeed, and keeping control. Recently though things have begun to escalate beyond reason, and I thought I could help this friend best with the results of dialogue rather than just sporadic reading. This escalation caught them off guard since performance boosting tools of other kinds have never been a problem for them.

Currently, this friend is very stable, functional, and active, and using their scientific and experiential knowledge to minimize negative effects. That being said, they're incredibly unsure how long that'll last given recent trends. So hopefully the good people of Bluelight will have some words of wisdom, or even simple encouragement at the very least.

I look forward to getting to know you all!

Hi trickster and welcome!!!

What is it they're taking, what dosage and how often?

Hey trickster, welcome! :)

This 'friend' wouldn't be you, would it? If so, just say 'me' - it's a lot easier to follow your writing that way :)

Yeah as Sadie says, what you taking?

You'll probably want to start posting in some of the other forums when you get the chance. Basic Drug Discussion might be a good one to check out for now.

Take care,
CFC

Hey thank you both for the warm welcome. 

Alright I should probably give a little bit of background. It started as a weekend binge once a month or less using Adderall (real surprising I know) to get more done in less time (this isn't a procrastinate and panic sort of thing but more of a tendency to take on way too much at a time sort of thing). It stayed like that for something like a year or so, with no impulse to go further. 

Then a cheap and frequent source of Focalin came up, resulting in 2-3 (even four on occasion) weekend binge periods a month. While still being used productively for the most part, it became much more of an impulse to keep going for more at that point. Dosages of course went up dramatically. Now going back to once or twice a month seems impossible and the trend is getting worse for the most part. Physically there have been some consequences although nothing severe or anything. 

The adderall dosages went from 40 to 50 mg in 24-36 hours at the most to as much as 110 or 120 mg. Focalin binges involve anywhere from 80 to 100 mg. Cutting back on that also appears to be next to impossible.

A consistent high-intensity exercise routine, magnesium and potassium supplementation, adequate food and water intake at all times, and weekdays off all seem to help mitigate the negative effects but that'll only go so far with continuing escalation. The interesting thing is that sober performance at work, in the gym, and at school seems to be fine, but the increased motivation and energy is overpowering. Stims are apparently alluring in ways that are just beyond anything else.

The worry is how long can this go on before work, school, and other pursuits start to suffer badly? So far so good but there's no way that'll last forever. It's not a big jump to the Lemmy Kilmister lifestyle (I suppose it worked out for him but he also wasn't a graduate student trying to succeed in the professional world). It's a tough spot to be in, to say the least.

Hello - I love the fact that you're getting in early with the 2018 handle. Eager for the new year? :D