Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

‘Opiophobia’ Has Left Africa in Agony

S.J.B.

Bluelight Crew
‘Opiophobia’ Has Left Africa in Agony
Donald G. McNeil Jr.
The New York Times
December 4th, 2017

KAMPALA, Uganda — Pain is only the latest woe in John Bizimungu’s life.

Rwandan by birth, he has lived here as a refugee since his family was slaughtered in the 1994 genocide. A cobbler, Mr. Bizimungu used to walk the streets asking people if he could fix their shoes.

Now, at 75 and on crutches, he sits at home hoping customers will drop by. But at least the searing pain from the cancer that has twisted his right foot is under control.

“Oh! Grateful? I am so, so, so, so grateful for the morphine!” he said, waving his hands and rocking back in his chair. “Without it, I would be dead.”

Mr. Bizimungu’s morphine is an opioid, closely related to the painkillers now killing 60,000 Americans a year — a situation President Trump recently declared a “health emergency.”

Read the full story here.

It's amazing the shortage of opioids in other parts of the world (India specifically comes to mind, they have a huge shortage problem with pain meds there).

It's amazing the shortage of opioids in other parts of the world (India specifically comes to mind, they have a huge shortage problem with pain meds there).

So every one should suffer because of heroin addicts...except heroin addicts...they get giagantic doses of methadone a person in pain could only dream of...seems fair

So every one should suffer because of heroin addicts...except heroin addicts...they get giagantic doses of methadone a person in pain could only dream of...seems fair

What are you talking about? What does someone using medicine to treat substance use disorder in one part of the world have to do with lack of access in other parts of the world? Did you read the article (which doesn't discuss that at all) or am I just being thick and this is an attempt at sarcasm?

Interesting article, it's rare that I see mainstream publications turn an eye to countries like Rwanda unless something as extreme as genocide is occurring. I personally have no idea what sort of change may occur in a country like Rwanda should the availability of opioids increase to meet the demand, or even if the country were suddenly flooded with them due to the myriad cultural differences, etc.

I suppose if they ever do get what they need then time will tell, but as the article points out, it's ridiculous to deny them drugs that would help so many because of the issues with opioids here or wherever else. Perhaps Russia could show Rwandans how to cook up some krokodil, aye?

Last edited: