• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Can I go from 1mg Ativan + 10mg Ambien down to zero Ativan?

jalara

Greenlighter
I recently came off a 15 year addiction? to hydrom. Something I’m still struggling with as it’s been barely 2 weeks and I’m still in terrible pain that out me in the meds inthe first place (not withdrawal pain). My next phase is to deal with Ativan. I’ve had insomnia since an accident put me in a coma for a month. Also got PTSD from it. Was anxious before that happened. Without hydromo I am panicky and full of anxiety most of the day. But also got scared when I read about benzodiazepine withdrawal that I might be up against.
Right now I take 1mg Ativan plus 10 mg Ambien at night and that is all. Been on that for 18 years and it really helps me sleep. No other doses of Ativan during the day. So should I cut the pills in half and switch to .5mg at night and .5 during day to balance things out and wean from there? Or just wean from my single night dose, maybe see how a 50% dose feels? Add a little Benadryl or phenergan in If I start to not sleep, because not sleeping for me is going craY.

With benzos, it is always safest to taper down slowly. It's more comfortable and more likely that you will be successful as well. That said, 1mg Ativan isn't a crazy dose, but 18 years is a long time and I'm not sure how ambien will com into play. Are you planning on tapering off the ambien too, or just Ativan? If you do taper, don't switch to 2 doses if you are currently only taking one. Slowly drop the dose to a level you are comfortable with, allow time for your body to adjust, then slowly drop the level again, and continue this process until you can stop taking it altogether. If you can't get any smaller pills, I would say try breaking the pills into 1/4s, initially drop down to .75 for a week or two and see how you feel. If you feel ok then down to .5, then .25, and if needed .125. Give your body as much time as it needs in between stepping down, don't be afraid to only drop .125 or .25 in a month. As long as you are making progress and sticking to your goal you will get there eventually.

It is always good advice to consult your doctor about things like this as well.

Thank you @mafioso. I was not going to stop Ambien til Ativan is tapered off. No doctors ever told me there could be an issue with Ativan withdrawal.

I went through benzo withdrawal taking 4mg Valium daily for five weeks and stopping abruptly. I had to be taken to ER because my muscles locked up and I couldn’t even speak.

I don’t want to upset you. I didn’t know about benzodiazepine withdrawal until I went through it. PLEASE bring your doctor on board.

Thank you @mafioso. I was not going to stop Ambien til Ativan is tapered off. No doctors ever told me there could be an issue with Ativan withdrawal.

It's so crazy that any doctor could still be in the dark or in denial about their extreme addictiveness. They're one of the most dangerous drugs to withdraw from, and one of the most difficult.

/\ Yeah very true.. hopefully you can find a doctor that understands the dangers and challenges, but ultimately you have to advocate for yourself. People get second, third and fourth opinions all the time in regards to medical advice. If a doctor tells you something that you know is false(i.e. benzo WD is not dangerous) then either disregard it or find a new doctor.

From what I have read, zolpidem is a sedative and is similar to benzos, so I would think it should be slowly tapered off as well.

I went through benzo withdrawal taking 4mg Valium daily for five weeks and stopping abruptly. I had to be taken to ER because my muscles locked up and I couldn’t even speak.

I don’t want to upset you. I didn’t know about benzodiazepine withdrawal until I went through it. PLEASE bring your doctor on board.

Dang, that’s just half a mg of Ativan. Crap.