• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Do SSRI-s also block MDMA-s neurotoxicity?

Ghaenrynquau

Greenlighter
As SSRI-s block most of MDMA-s effect, do they also do it to the bad side effects, neurotoxicity?

Can people taking SSRI-s daily take MDMA and feel 100% safe?

If you dont do it too often and pay attention to dosage,set and setting you should be fine (even without the SSRIs). Also make sure you have real MDMA by using regeant tests or better send a pill to XTCData for GC/MS.

Does it protect from all of the neurotoxicity?

There hasnt been enough studies to draw a conclusion but it seems to protect against at least some of the neurotoxicity. Since the effect is also greatly diminished (AFAIK) i dont see the point tho.

If you dont do it too often and pay attention to dosage,set and setting you should be fine (even without the SSRIs). Also make sure you have real MDMA by using regeant tests or better send a pill to XTCData for GC/MS.

There hasnt been enough studies to draw a conclusion but it seems to protect against at least some of the neurotoxicity. Since the effect is also greatly diminished (AFAIK) i dont see the point tho.
I definitely see the point and that's why I ask. If you have to take SSRI-s, then what else can you do? It is still enjoyable a little bit, you won't lose your mind and trip too hard and you will definitely be safe which is the most important part. Toxicity worry is what holds me back from using when I am not taking an SSRI. MDMA like other amphetamines will always be neurotoxic. Also I like to do it often, not like once every 2 months. If doing it this rarely is the only thing that makes the substance safe, then you can't actually call it a very safe substance, am I right?

But lets keep the discussion neuroscientific please, not if I should or should not use it.

The FDA says it's safe enough to give humans in trials.
They also give MDMA alone, because it's safe.
The safety profile of low-dose MDMA use for the treatment of PTSD has not yet been established in accordance with the drug approval requirements in the United States since the USFDA has not yet approved MDMA as a prescription drug. MDMA's current status is an experimental pharmaceutical with an FDA "breakthrough therapy" designation, which simply means that its undergoing an expedited review process for FDA approval due to a lack of effective treatments for the disorder which it's being used to treat in clinical trials. This "breakthrough designation" does not mean it's more likely to pass FDA review relative to drugs which have not been granted that designation, nor does it mean that it has been demonstrated to have adequate treatment efficacy for PTSD or an established and adequate safety profile.

In order to establish treatment efficacy and a safety profile for a drug, it must undergo 1 or 2 large phase 3 clinical trials for treating a particular condition (e.g., PTSD).

Last edited:
As SSRI-s block most of MDMA-s effect, do they also do it to the bad side effects, neurotoxicity?
Concurrent administration of an SSRI with MDMA would probably inhibit MDMA's neurotoxic effects, but not block it; this is because SSRIs only reduce MDMA uptake in serotonin neurons. In other words, it might take longer to for MDMA to induce clinically significant neurotoxicity with concurrent SSRI administration, provided that SSRIs do actually have an inhibitory effect on MDMA-induced neurotoxicity.

Edit: the doses of MDMA and the SSRI that are taken and the duration of use would likely be the most significant determinants of whether or not clinically significant MDMA-induced neurotoxicity occurs. Marked neurotoxicity typically only occurs following chronic MDMA use OR high dose MDMA use.

Last edited: